Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast

Thread: Coder's Hang-out

Thanks

Default Hey Im intrested

hey im totally new to this "coding" thing and i would like to learn about it, i read that u guyz basically program programs. How do u get started and suggest anything i (as a total noob when it comes to this coding thing) can learn to code my self.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Alex A.
    hey im totally new to this "coding" thing and i would like to learn about it, i read that u guyz basically program programs. How do u get started and suggest anything i (as a total noob when it comes to this coding thing) can learn to code my self.
    Check the "Free Stuff Mania" thread in the Free For All. There's a link to the free versions of most of Microsoft's programming suites

Thanks

I assume you want to do game programming(i did when i started......still do)

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/

Game Programming Beginners Guide
    http://www.gamedev.net/reference/pro...tures/davegpg/

What Language?
    http://www.gamedev.net/reference/des...tures/whatlang

Thanks

And a nice group of tuts are found here in the threads if you look...

Thanks
    EP Points

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=F6REILS2
    Jump with X, shoot with C.
    I'm nearly finished. About 2000 lines of code, including comments. You can now actually shoot and kill stuff. Some scoring and damage taking is still needed, but now I'll be off to make the level editor.
    Remaining time to complete code and documentation: 2 weeks. Hopefully it'll be enough, considering how little free time I have.
    Last edited by pkt-zer0; 20th-November-2005 at 15:09.

Thanks

Exactly what is it, PKT? I mean what kinda game is it?

Thanks
    EP Points

Jump and run platformer, the basic Mario gameplay. Well, not exactly, since you shoot stuff with a gun. Graphics ripped from Cave Story. The objectives for each level will be "get from point A to point B"... kinda simple right now. There's a simplistic level editor for it as well.
    Even though the enemies that jump around don't mean much yet (I haven't coded damage yet, only collision), they will. Possibly another type of enemy (bat) will be added, if I'll have the time.

Thanks
    EP Points

Sounds Cool, I'll get this when I get home from studies today, should be fun

Thanks

Awesome game!

Not really, but it works. Now you only need to add a lot of levels and more stuff there.

Megaupload sucks, took ages to download a mere 300 kb game.
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by GODJonez
    Awesome game!

Not really, but it works. Now you only need to add a lot of levels and more stuff there.
    Hey, I've still got two weeks to hand in my assignment. And given that this is the first larger program I made, the code needs a bit of clearing up right now.
    BTW I've made a level editor as well, so you can show me what you mean by levels.
    And yeah, I know there's stuff to be put in there, but this already handles sprites and collision quite nicely. Adding more enemies/weapons/tilesets is pretty easy now. Though the graphics would need to be replaced, I feel bad ripping of Pixel's work. :/
    Nah.

Thanks

Here's one for you guys... Let's see if some one could crack how this is possible... My computer is windows xp service pack 2. Now... That would mean it's 32 bit based... So how in the world did it calculate the number "18446744073709551615"? It's "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF" in hex. That's 8 bytes. That means it's an 8 byte int. 8 bytes is 64 bits... But i'm on an intel pent 4 which is 32 bit... Exactly how is that possible? And if that's the case that just because it's 32 bit dosn't mean it can't read 64 bit, then why is it a 64 bit limit? Why is there things called "64 bit processors" when there really is no logical difference? Why is win32 diferent from win16 number wise? If 32 bit calcs can calc 64 bit numbers, then what's keeping it from doing more? Is it signing or somthing? That's another thing... Are unsigned ints and signed ints both 4 bytes? If so that would mean unsigned ints can calc bigger numbers if they're unsigned, but even that should be limited to 65536 possibilities for signed and 4294967296 for unsigned. And... if "00000000000000000000000000000001" is 1 then how do you say -1? It might explain why -1 returns greater than 1 in programs when i compile them.

Thanks
    EP Points

64 bit is the register size. More stuff you can store, the more you'll be able to do with it.
    In one single step, that is. Think about how you can add two 8 bit long binary numbers, if you can only work with 1-1 bit from each. Not that simple. Now, if you could process all 8 at once... Well, that's the basic concept, though I'm not too great on digital technology.
    I'll post some stuff on numeric represatations a bit later.
    EDIT: So, here are a few common ways to represent signed integers (which are enough since floating point numbers are usually represented by a mantissa and a characteristic number) I'll use 4 bit numbers as an example here.
    - Sign bit: The MSB (most significant bit) is the sign bit, if it's zero, the rest of the number is positive, if it's one, it's negative. So, 1011 is -3, 0011 is 3, but note that both 1000 and 0000 represent zero. Useful for multiplication of numbers.
    - One's complement: Same as the above version, except that negative numbers get negated: 111 becomes 000, 110 becomes 001, etc. The sign bit is then added. Note that when you add a number to its additive inverse ( +3 to -3), you get all ones, which would be zero. Still, 0000 and 1111 both equal zero.
    - Two's complement: This is used most of the time, good for addition. This is why: you get the two's complement representation of a number by adding one to the one's complement form. You can now see that when you add -3 and +3 (without keeping the sign bit in mind), you get 0, due to overflow.
    0011 is three, 1100 is minus three in one's complement, 1101 in two's complement. Add 0011 and 1101 and you get 0000, with the carry bit shifting out on the left side.
    - Offset code: Take the two's complement form, and invert the sign bit. This leads to something not so apparent: 0000 will be the smallest representable number in the interval, 1111 will be the highest, the rest evenly between them. Good for comparative operations, for obvious reasons.
    Last edited by pkt-zer0; 24th-November-2005 at 22:35.

Thanks

So basically, in signed ints (32 bits), the first bit is for signing, and the other 31 is the actual numbers?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by kohlrak
    So basically, in signed ints (32 bits), the first bit is for signing, and the other 31 is the actual numbers?
    Basically, yes. Well, it doesn't matter much, since unless you want to exploit the sign bit overflow, you don't really need to know how integers are stored.

Thanks

Makes a big difference actually. Singing halves the number of positives intergers.