Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1015161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Coder's Hang-out

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by negles View Post
    start with something small then when your done with that then if you want to continue then continue. but if you wanna give up then leave yourself notes. so when you wanna start something else again you can just continue where you left off. eventually turning into something big

if that doesnt work then think of it like a game. sometimes when i play a game i get bored with it. but i gotta push through to the end to reap the rewards
    However usually there is a large quality drop. I find it useful for myself to set minor steps, I'll draw out everything on pen and paper first. Then I'll give myself small rewards for finishing say every 5%.

Sometimes it's also better to work on several projects at once. Something you learn from one can be used in another.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Lightslei View Post
    Sometimes it's also better to work on several projects at once. Something you learn from one can be used in another.
    This.

I usually like to have a few projects on the go at any given time, especially if one of the projects is a huge project. Usually I find that I hit a bottleneck where I just can't think straight every time I look at the large project, and need to distract myself with a smaller project for a few days, either to gain a bit of perspective or just to take a break, before tackling the other project again. Usually I'll find some way around whatever was giving me problems, or I'll be able to "see" the end result a bit better, etc. Or I at least feel some sense of accomplishment for finishing something, and can go back to twiddling away at the "oh-my-God-why-am-I-still-working-on-you" timesuck.

Thanks

Alright I'll admit I'm still an amateur, however I'm kind of confused at the moment.

Working on a card game. There's 4 types of cards in the deck which is public (shared amongst players), however I haven't figured out a method of having a different function called for each card since each has it's own effect. I'll admit I'm using C++ which is probably the worst idea for this, but I'm not even sure how I would do this since I need to use a stack, and I'm fairly sure I haven't found a method of calling different functions based on a line of text on the card like the name or something x.x. Would that even be possible? If so can someone give me an example.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well I've been slowly learning SNES ASM code. It's kinda fun to code for the SNES. Though at the same time, it is very hard.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyGuitar View Post
    Well I've been slowly learning SNES ASM code. It's kinda fun to code for the SNES. Though at the same time, it is very hard.
    ASM.. My god what a pain.. Had to learn MASM and ASM for pic microcontrollers before..hard and tedious but cool when everything came together.. Hell.. Id much rather program in c/c++/C# than ASM but that's not an option I suspect.. LMAO
    ORIGINAL: Flitcraft
    ORIGINAL: Steveski
    questionable and hedonistic
    Brandenburg, I think we've found your epitaph. []

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lightslei View Post
    Alright I'll admit I'm still an amateur, however I'm kind of confused at the moment.

Working on a card game. There's 4 types of cards in the deck which is public (shared amongst players), however I haven't figured out a method of having a different function called for each card since each has it's own effect. I'll admit I'm using C++ which is probably the worst idea for this, but I'm not even sure how I would do this since I need to use a stack, and I'm fairly sure I haven't found a method of calling different functions based on a line of text on the card like the name or something x.x. Would that even be possible? If so can someone give me an example.
    The way I would do it is overload the call operator "()" like so "sometype operator() (sometype var1, othertype var2" which will allow you to do this " Card1(var1,var2) and call a different function if the card is of a different class. As for the Stack, there is a Stack class somewhere within the mess known as the STL

However, my c++ is a little rusty, so tell me if I messed up somehow.
    Last edited by Ben Culkin Or Sasori; 19th-October-2011 at 21:40.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Brandenburg View Post
    ASM.. My god what a pain.. Had to learn MASM and ASM for pic microcontrollers before..hard and tedious but cool when everything came together.. Hell.. Id much rather program in c/c++/C# than ASM but that's not an option I suspect.. LMAO
    Yes ASM is a pain. But it is coll that you pretty much have full control over the sytem when coding in ASM. It would be nice if you could use C++ or C.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by LeftyGuitar View Post
    Yes ASM is a pain. But it is coll that you pretty much have full control over the sytem when coding in ASM. It would be nice if you could use C++ or C.
    Talk to me if you can come up with a way to emulate Gameboy games on the SNES. No, seriously.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmarazz View Post
    Talk to me if you can come up with a way to emulate Gameboy games on the SNES. No, seriously.
    Why not use a Supergameboy? Or use BSnes. BSnes emulates the supergameboy. Bsnes is also open source as well. I've also started working on a database to store all the games you have collected. Being written in the Euphoria programming language. If anyone would like to know more about the euphoria programming language, let me know. I can help out.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You guys should check out C++ for Dummies (6th Edition) to help keep a reference for some of the basic stuff if you ever need it =]

Went through the book twice, was worth it =D

Moderator: Is it possible to place this in the Programming Resources and Tutorials section for me as a recommended book?
    Destiny ∂єѕтιηу ですちんゆ デスティニー
    If you like the advice you receive from someone, don't forget to thank them and press this star at the bottom of the person's post to add to their reputation =]

Thanks
    EP Points

I have an old version of C++ for dummies. It's a good read, but there are many books out there to help you. I've released some small light software. If anyone would like to know more, feel free to contact me.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

does anyone know of a good c++ compiler for bodhi linux?
    I've tried a few, like codeblocks, but they either would not build the program or just will not install

Thanks
    EP Points

Hey everybody!! Could anybody recommend me some good guide's on romhacking & stuff for Snes?

The password for my upload's is "caidsncer". If you love my uploads,then hit the "THANX" button.

Thanks
    EP Points

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Stark For This Useful Post:

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Anyone willing to create a quick prog for me??

Details..

I need a quick program created for patching Dreamcast games to enable VGA

It shouldn't be too hard for any novice programmer

I need it to be able to open a large file "apx 1000MB max should do"

search for 4A55452020202020 in hex (JUE with 5 spaces after in ASCII) and display the next 7 address value's in ASCII
    If the 6th address is a 0 in ASCII 30 in hex, display a message
    "This game is not VGA mode enabled"
    "Do you want to patch this game to enable VGA mode boot?"
    "Yes" "No"
    If No Close file
    If Yes change the 6th address value to 1 in ASCII 31 in hex, enabling a VGA mode boot
    Once changed display
    the 7 address value's in ASCII again (will have the change shown) and a message
    "This game has now been patched to enable VGA mode boot"

If the 6th address is a 1 in ASCII, 31 in hex already, display a message "This game is already VGA mode boot enabled"
    "Exit?"
    "Yes" "No"
    If Yes Close program
    If No Close file
    The reason the program only exits when asked is to allow another disc image to be scanned

I'm not a programmer otherwise I'm sure I would of done this by now

I wouldn't mind seeing how that is done by the way, I'm sure I would understand it to a certain extent without full programming know how

I'm not too fussed what programming language you use but if it's done with Java that will make it so it's not just Windows exclusive, but I leave that up to whoever would want to do this for me and any other dreamcast user
    Last edited by Zorlon; 31st-October-2012 at 10:53.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR