Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Coder's Hang-out

Thanks
    EP Points

Short version: Yep.

Longer version: I hope you understand the * operator. Now, we have a pointer, p.
    *p returns the value which p points to (p holds the memory address of that value.). p+1 is the next element from that address, and so forth. So, *(p+1) is the value of the next element from p. Shorthand form of it is p[1]. So, sprites[0] is pretty unnecessary, since it converts to *(sprites+0). As you can see now, (*sprites).x is the same as sprites->x. ( a->n converts to (*a).b)
    The reason you can't use simply the . operator is because C passes copies of a variable into a function, most likely. That would mean that modifying it wouldn't do you any good, since it's just a copy, that gets discarded when you exit the function. However, if that variable is a memory address (pointer) you can just as well point to the same area with a copy, therefore allowing you to manipulate the data stored at that address with ease.

If the above didn't make much sense, don't worry, I suck at explaining stuff. Also, probably the only thing that you'll be able to screw up, no matter how experienced you are, are pointers.

Thanks

Even shorter: Use -> for pointers (i.e. dynamic memory), and . for arrays and such (static memory?)...

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks both of you. That made no sense so no problem. I know abouts pointers but I still need to work with them more. Unsure about all the different ways you can declare one. Still, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Just one thing, "sprites[0]" is not unnecssary. The GBA can store a maximum of 128 different sprites and they are all stored in the Object Attribute Memory. So you know, I have to tell which sprite it is I'm using, out of all those 128 ones. And you can't just write a single one to the memory. All of them have to be copied at ones. So basically, I have created a structure array with 128 fields, each for one sprite.

Thanks again, really helped me understand that stuff better.

Thanks
    EP Points

I was just pointing out that "sprites[0]" is totally and exactly the same as "*sprites". Obviously if you're using more than one, it just makes sense to access even the first element with the array subscript operator, so yeah.

Thanks

Or simply "sprite", at least it works that way in Java, so piss off...

BTW, I hate Java... XD

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

And that's why you are using it?

By the way, jumping is working now. It's horrible though. I have to speed it down and well, implant proper graviation. But at least I've come this far.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    EP Points

http://www.epforums.org/showthread.php?t=43397

Hmm, this looks pretty ok, might sort it out alphabetically and in an relevant order, such as console programming etc etc.

Thanks
    EP Points

Hmm, I have a small inquiry regarding C

I would like to create something that when a single character is entered you are prompted

for example I would enter the letter "c" then because I entered this single character an option would come up?

Thanks

Hmm, I have a small inquiry regarding C

I would like to create something that when a single character is entered you are prompted

for example I would enter the letter "c" then because I entered this single character an option would come up?
    You could use a switch statement to do that.

Thanks
    EP Points

Hmm, a simple thing I could have looked over, if it turns out to be the case, I'm going to kick myself.

Thanks

Anyone know good sytes for allegro?
    Definition: "love" is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using a Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope

:: There are one-zero kinds of people. Those who understand binary and F others who understand hex ::

Webmaster of:
    http://Irregular-Network.22web.net

My PSX ISO's List:
    updated 4.01.2006 (way pass expiration date, but I still got all what's on the list so request away)
    Here

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks

That's a good syte, thanks.
    Definition: "love" is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using a Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope

:: There are one-zero kinds of people. Those who understand binary and F others who understand hex ::

Webmaster of:
    http://Irregular-Network.22web.net

My PSX ISO's List:
    updated 4.01.2006 (way pass expiration date, but I still got all what's on the list so request away)
    Here

Thanks
    EP Points

Hmm, I'm going to be dabbling in some DS programming there are actually quite a few small tutorials, but for the time being I'm going to try out this one http://www.dsprogramming101.com/

Thanks

The NES programming link has died
    http://www.epforums.org/programming-...x.html?t=43397