Page 1 of 21 12345611 ... LastLast

Thread: Coder's Hang-out

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Coder's Hang-out

Well I thought this might be a nice idea. This thread is just to chat about Coding, the main reason being you can post stuff that you feel wouldn't be neccesary in a thread of it's own, posts that having nothing to do with coding will be deleted.

Well, I'm going to give this a shot tonight, hope this link is handy for you.

http://k2pts.home.comcast.net/gbaguy/nesasm.htm

Thanks

Good link but it kind of sucks that you already need to know some other assembler... Since we seem to be on the topic of 8-bit coding ATM, here's a kewl link: http://project64.c64.org/misc/index.html

It's mainly about the C64, but since the C64 uses the same CPU as the NES, the 8-bit Ataris, etc. it can be useful for other purposes. I'm trying to learn C64 ML myself. Maybe we can eventually have a demo/intro compo.

Thanks
    EP Points

Nice link, here is another I found that might be good, the most assembly I ever did was ZX80 and Becca. (I think its been a while lol)

http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/

Thanks

Yuck the ZX80... That was that pathetic little black and white only thing that was made by Sinclair by got sold by a watch company in the Western Hemisphere... Still, I guess it's more like coding for PC than coding for C64 is...

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by madcrow
    Yuck the ZX80... That was that pathetic little black and white only thing that was made by Sinclair by got sold by a watch company in the Western Hemisphere... Still, I guess it's more like coding for PC than coding for C64 is...
    Yeah, I shouldn't say anything though, I blew that module pretty badly, Computer Architechture it was called, and boy did I suck at it. Still I got a little learning in

Thanks

Well... C++ is nice, you can use it for just about anything, accept in browser programs and international language teaching. well... you can do that if you find a compiler that supports international letters, which most C++ compilers don't or the ones that do weren't tested with their unicode support... Anyone know how you can switch the encoding for certain programs?

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, just tried it, and wchar seems to be working for me. You have to designate stringliterals (I hope that's the correct expression) as being long, variables work just as expected.
    Download Links:
    Links are hidden from guests. Please register to be able to view these links.

Thanks
    EP Points

I love to make and learn how to make programs in C++. I cannot wait until I start learning how to do things with games

Thanks

What's comming out isn't accented letters, pkt...

Thanks
    EP Points

It gives me an s with a weird thingy protrouding from its top instead of the c. Well, you'd probably need a non-console application, because I don't think console windows support Unicode fonts, or Unicode input. (couldn't get to type in japanese characters there is what I mean)

Thanks

C++ may be nice, but it sucks for 8/16-bit development... To do programming for retro systems you NEED ASM.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by madcrow
    C++ may be nice, but it sucks for 8/16-bit development... To do programming for retro systems you NEED ASM.
    Well, it's not like you have much of a choice. Plus, you have to know how the machine works to the extent that you can simply read the code in roms without any effort.
    This might be a stupid question, but do consoles like PS2/Gamecube/whatever have high-level programming languages designed specifically for those consoles, or is stuff written for them mostly in assembler? To get games to run better, without slowdowns, at a higher poly-count you'd have to optimise it pretty much, and that needs low-level programming.

Thanks

Modern consoles are developed mostly in C... It's nearly impossible to develop for lots of the CPUs used in raw assembler. GBA is developed in ASM tho... Apparently it's quite similar to coding for 6502...

Thanks

Actually, console windows do have this support. It's just a pain to get to. (how else would you have CGI pages with unicode?) And what about fstream? Same problem.
    Last edited by kohlrak; 17th-September-2005 at 01:33.

Thanks

Coding...

The second reason I left EP