Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Most OVER-Hyped game?

Thanks

Default Most OVER-Hyped game?

What is (In your opinion) the most overhyped game out there?

I'd have to say Halo 2 - Everybody was thinking it was the best game ever - I just didn't find it THAT fun. I mean it was alright, but not nearly good enough to please the hype, in MY opinion.
    Francine?
    Yes Robert?
    Where are we?
    I don't know. Are you pumped?
    Are you kidding? I'm always pumped.

Thanks

Daikatana. Duh.
    ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º° ¨¨°º¤ø„¸ EDWARD CULLEN IS THE KING OF VAMPYRES! HE IS BETTER THAN BILL COMPTON, LESTAT DE LIONCOURT, VLAD THE IMPALER, & DICK CHENEY ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°� �¤ø„¸

Thanks

Halo 1 and 2. Shitty games. Over-hyped alot.
    Xbox sucks though.

Thanks
    EP Points

Hm, I don't really play the sorts of games that tend to get hyped up, heck I don't think I've really played much of a first person shooter since Doom, many, many years ago.

That being said, I'd put in a vote for any Tomb Raider game beyond the second. While I can't say that I didn't enjoy the first two back in the day, I haven't enjoyed what I've played of any of them beyond that in the slightest. And, while I'm not sure what the general populace thinks of the series, most gaming publications here gave the first five near-perfect scores (I believe that the Official UK Playstation Magazine gave them all 10/10, a score that only about eight other games on the PSX recieved, ever).

Final Fantasy VIII would be my second choice. It's disliked on a large scale by fans of the series, but most gaming publications utterly adored it, at least around here. I don't think it's awful by any means, but it's nowhere near the high point of the series, and seeing publications churning out near perfect scores based solely on it's incredible graphics made me feel pretty dodgy. Especially when many lesser known RPGs that were being released around the same time were being slammed as utterly mediocre (I still can't believe that Suikoden II recieved a 5/10 from a magazine here. But I digress).

And, while it's not entirely overhyped, I found Star Ocean: Till the End of Time to be incredibly disappointing, especially since tri-Ace were responsible for it. It seemed to garner all round praise from most RPG sites, but I felt that they ruined a lot of what was so excellent about the first two games: the item creation and skills systems were highly inferior in the third game; the item creation system, especially, just seemed to be designed to sell game guides. The AI was also utterly dire, far worse than the second game's, meaning that most of the challenge came not from fighting your foes, but struggling against the stupidity of your own allies. It was just depressing to play since, even as I stormed through battles in the latter segments of the game, I realised that my allies were little use and it might as well have been a one character RPG.

The story was also pretty awful, and what's worse is that the developers didn't seem to realise that it was. Instead of giving the rather poor story a small part in the game and letting you get along with the fairly fun gameplay (poor AI not withstanding, the Star Ocean battle system is pretty good), the story took providence in the game, with little emphasis on exploration and very long cutscenes (well...they weren't that long, heck I loved Xenosaga Episode 1. But they seemed long when you began to realise that, although the characters were saying plenty, nothing interesting was being conveyed whatsoever). I didn't think it was a bad game per se, just decidedly mediocre. And from a series that I had really enjoyed till that point, I expected more.
    Last edited by Harmony; 13th-September-2005 at 04:14.

Thanks

Wow, it's Elin. What a good thread this is now.
    ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º° ¨¨°º¤ø„¸ EDWARD CULLEN IS THE KING OF VAMPYRES! HE IS BETTER THAN BILL COMPTON, LESTAT DE LIONCOURT, VLAD THE IMPALER, & DICK CHENEY ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°� �¤ø„¸

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FlamingGnats
    Final Fantasy VII.

It sucks.
    You lie!!

(\__/)
    (O.o )
    (> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
    Bunny also likes to rip the hearts out of those who do not put him in their signatures. Yes, he's a good little Bunny.

If you like my sig, or other artwork I've been posting, please add to my reputation by clicking on the scale in the upper right.

Thanks
    EP Points

Thanks

I'd agree with FF7. It's not bad it's just not as good as everyone tries to make it out to be.
    My PSX List Currently 1055 games PSX Request List
    Yousendit upcoming uploads:

Thanks

Kryptin, do you actually own, like, as in purchased, all of those 1055 PSX games? Or are some downloaded... just wondering, you know, since that's alot..

Another over-hyped game besides the Halo series for XBox is Diablo and/or Diablo 2 for PC. Boring stuff, IMO. I know some people that are still absolutely hooked on it years after its release, too, which surprises me. It just isn't that fun, I guess.

Thanks

The Halo-series. I mean, come on, is it really THAT good?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lagwagon_87
    Kryptin, do you actually own, like, as in purchased, all of those 1055 PSX games? Or are some downloaded... just wondering, you know, since that's alot..
    Purchased and Downloaded.....

Most overhyped game?

Metal Gear Solid 2, It was amusing, and a nice game to play.

The hype about "attention to detail" was to much for me. The game is simple, which is why I tolerated it.
    Raaagghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... hh..

Thanks

Metal Gear Solid. Just, gSAhjibqlnla. I quite enjoyed number 2 though.
    Increase the size of your wang - PM crusher the words "poo poo" for extra length now!

Beware Coward!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ton
    Yeah that'sit , you're just so sexy , woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lagwagon_87

Another over-hyped game besides the Halo series for XBox is Diablo and/or Diablo 2 for PC. Boring stuff, IMO. I know some people that are still absolutely hooked on it years after its release, too, which surprises me. It just isn't that fun, I guess.

most are downloaded a little over 100 of them are actual games.
    My PSX List Currently 1055 games PSX Request List
    Yousendit upcoming uploads:

Thanks

I'd have to say from my own experience of playing it FFVII was not as great as many RPG's I've played, and seeing as I only just played FFVII last year then I've played a lot of RPG's before hand.

Also I have got to mention the Halo series, including the not even released Halo 3 on the Xbox 360. The hype already started as soon as someone realised what that secret message at the end of Halo 2 could mean, Feburary 2006, of course its possible but why do they think they can get ahead of themselves and get it ready by then, no producer knows the exact date they are going to release a game on, and certainly should't make one that they have to meet no matter what state the game is in because they mentioned it in a previous game, now the fans are going to take that date as the official release and they aren't going to be happy when they don't deliver on time.

On the seventh dawn of the seventh day a twice-blessed man will roam the fields. Doomed to shadows with his brethren, or saviour to all who walk the ground.