Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast

Thread: Questions about the bible/Christianity

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by geohound
    Nothing has been added to the bible in at least a millenia, parts have been taken out, but nothing added. Sorry to hear about you being sleep depraved. Only thing that helps that is a nice rich coffee. Oh well, to each his own beliefs.

Well,
    Evidence suggests that the canon of the Hebrew Scriptures was closed long before the second century B.C.E. Later additions were simply not allowed, including some books written during the second century B.C.E
    Like The apocryphal book Ecclesiasticus, by Jesus Ben Sirach, was evidently composed about 180 B.C.E

The mormons have also tryed to add to the bible,
    The Book of Mormon, reportedly given to Joseph Smith in the United States by an angel called Moroni, is a product of the 19th century. If some of these works are divinely inspired as some assert, then what they offer in terms of religious guidance should not contradict the teachings of the Bible, which is the original inspired source. They should also answer some of mankind�s most intriguing questions.
    Raaagghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... hh..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Al_V1
    How do you know nothing has been added or changed??
    Is the Text of the Holy Scriptures Trustworthy Guidance From God?

MANY religions agree that God inspired the Holy Scriptures. Have you already seen these books? Have you read them? Some people hesitate to look into them because of the charge that these writings have been changed. However, is it not audacious to claim that God�s books have been corrupted, as if God were incapable of preserving them!

The Devil does not want God�s guidance to reach man. Therefore, it is reasonable to assume that he and his cohorts would try to have the Holy Scriptures corrupted so that mankind might be misled and turned away from God. Over the centuries, various individuals have tried to add to certain verses. But did they succeed in corrupting God�s words? Would God allow them to do so? No! Throughout the Scriptures, he affirms that he would preserve his words. �The green grass has dried up, the blossom has withered; but as for the word of our God, it will last to time indefinite,� says Isaiah 40:8. (See also 1 Peter 1:24, 25.) Likewise, the Qur�an says: �There is none that can alter the Words (and Decrees) of God.� (Al-An�am [6]:34) Thus, all attempts to change God�s words have failed because it is inconceivable that God would permit any manipulation of his books.

We can also be certain that the text of the Holy Scriptures is authentic by taking a closer look at the old manuscripts that still exist. We will thereby note the accuracy with which the Scriptures have been copied. And you will also be interested to see that the Qur�an has many things to say concerning the authenticity of the text.

What the Manuscripts Demonstrate

From the start, handwritten copies (manuscripts) were made of the original texts of all the Holy Scriptures. This was done under God�s direction so that his guidance would be known and followed by man. (Compare Deuteronomy 17:18.) The copyists were extremely meticulous in their work. For example, early Hebrew copyists even counted every letter in the Torah to prevent mistakes from creeping in when manuscripts were being copied. Each time they copied one, they would count the letters in their copy and compare it with that of the original to make sure that both were identical. It is reported that they counted 815,140 individual letters in the Hebrew Scriptures. In the first century C.E., Jesus and his followers quoted from the copies on hand without expressing any doubt at all concerning the accuracy of the text. (Luke 4:16-21; Acts 17:1-3) The precision of those who have copied the Scriptures over the centuries has contributed toward an accurate transmission of the text down to our day.

By studying the thousands of manuscripts extant in our time and comparing them with one another, we can see that the original text has been accurately passed down to us. Existing today are some 6,000 manuscripts of either all the Hebrew Scriptures or parts thereof. The Dead Sea Scrolls, discovered in 1947, have demonstrated that the centuries of copying and recopying have not distorted God�s message.

More than 13,000 manuscripts of the Greek Scriptures are said to be available today. A study of them shows that the original text of the Christian Greek Scriptures has also been preserved accurately. For example, the Institute for New Testament Textual Studies in Germany has made about 95 percent of its approximately 5,300 handwritten copies of the Christian Greek Scriptures available for scientific study, either on microfilm or in photographs. A comparison of them shows just how exact the transmission of the Bible text down to our day has been. The interval of time between the original writing of the Christian Greek Scriptures and the writing of the oldest extant papyrus manuscripts is very short, not more than 25 years.

What the Qur�an Says About the Holy Scriptures

The Qur�an calls the Torah and the Injil �the Book of Enlightenment.� (Al �Imran [3]:184; Fatir [35]:25) Scores of Qur�anic verses state that these books are from God. (Al-Baqarah [2]:89; Al-An�am [6]:92) Concerning both the Torah and Injil, we read: �Wherein is guidance and a light.� (Al-Ma�idah [5]:44, 46, MMP) Furthermore, Al-Ma�idah [5]:46 says about the Torah: �Therein is the (plain) command of God.� Many of the great interpreters (such as Al-Jalalayn, Al-Fakhr Al-Razi, Al-Tabari, and Al-Baydawi) acknowledge that according to the Qur�an, the Torah is called �the Book of God� (Al �Imran [3]:23) and �the Book which helps to make things clear.� (Al-Saffat [37]:117) Nevertheless, some still believe that the present-day Torah and Injil have been corrupted and cannot be trusted. But if this were true, when did this falsification take place?

From a Qur�anic viewpoint, no corruption could possibly have occurred before the writing of the Qur�an because many Qur�anic verses call for faith in the Torah and the Injil. (For example, see Al-Baqarah [2]:136; Al �Imran [3]:84; Al-Nisa� [4]:136.) The Qur�an also recommends seeking out those versed in the Torah and the Injil, saying: �If ye realise this not, ask of those who possess the Message.� (Al-Nahl [16]:43; Al-Anbiya� [21]:7) Would it do so if these texts had been corrupted? Furthermore, many Qur�anic verses call out to �People of the Book� (the Torah and the Injil) to turn back to their books. (For instance, see Al-Ma�idah [5]:50, 71.) Surely, an invitation would not be given to turn back to corrupted books!

Likewise, no corruption could possibly have occurred after the writing of the Qur�an, since a comparison of our modern-day Holy Scriptures with manuscripts of the Torah and the Injil written four or five centuries before the writing of the Qur�an shows that there have been no changes, or corruption. These manuscripts are available in public libraries and museums.

Nevertheless, some individuals still object, saying that there are certain Qur�anic verses that speak of such corruption (Arabic, tahrif). But what do Muslim scholars say about this? Commentaries explain corruption in two ways: (1) Falsification of the text (altering any written character) and (2) twisting (distorting) the meaning of the text. Muslim commentators are not unanimous that the corruption referred to is that of altering the written text.

In �The Book of Monotheism,� which is part of his Sahih, Imam Al-Bukhari explains the meaning of the word �tahrif� as follows: �Tahrif means alteration. However, no one can alter any written character in a book of God. Tahrif was done to the text in the sense of twisting its meaning [misinterpreting it].� In his commentary on Al-Nisa� [4]:46, Imam Al-Fakhr Al-Razi says: �The meaning of corruption (tahrif) is the introduction of vain doubt and wrong explanations and changing the word from its true meaning to a baseless sense by means of verbal tricks, as heretics do presently with the verses which contravene their own sect. This is the view that is more true.� In his commentary on Al-Ma�idah [5]:13, he says: �This corruption (tahrif) could be [1] false interpretation, and it could be [2] altering the written text. However, we have already shown that the first explanation is most probable, because it is impossible to alter the written text of a book that was handed down in unbroken and widespread succession.� Examples of twisting the meaning of God�s books can be seen in the interpretations that many religions give in support of their false beliefs.

The Holy Scriptures are indeed sound! Anyone who believes in the Qur�an must agree that the text of the Holy Scriptures has not been corrupted. There can be no doubt that they are God�s Word, for the Holy Scriptures have not been changed since the time that the Qur�an said that the Torah and the Injil are �guidance and a light� and that �there is none that can alter the Words (and Decrees) of God.��Al-An�am [6]:34.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xena
    Well,
    Evidence suggests that the canon of the Hebrew Scriptures was closed long before the second century B.C.E. Later additions were simply not allowed, including some books written during the second century B.C.E
    Like The apocryphal book Ecclesiasticus, by Jesus Ben Sirach, was evidently composed about 180 B.C.E

The mormons have also tryed to add to the bible,
    The Book of Mormon, reportedly given to Joseph Smith in the United States by an angel called Moroni, is a product of the 19th century. If some of these works are divinely inspired as some assert, then what they offer in terms of religious guidance should not contradict the teachings of the Bible, which is the original inspired source. They should also answer some of mankind’s most intriguing questions.
    Damn you're good. I never thought I'd see this much knowledge and insight outside of a classroom. I feel like a hamster compared to you. Dumb, but cute. +
    I'll find it....... eventually.........

Thanks

Rite ok still not really proving anythin here. Though I want to bring up a story I heard on a documentary on five(shit channel take it with a grain of salt) Now in this documentary this ancient civilisation were go about there day to day business when aliens came down and some other stuff anyway point being these people were told by these aliens that they were the creators of mankind etc I've read up about this sorta stuff over the past week and there is alot of good theorys on it. Good point from it all they basically say we created you and created god as a way for you to believe in something. That was the jist of it alll.

Thanks

Rite ok still not really proving anythin here. Though I want to bring up a story I heard on a documentary on five(shit channel take it with a grain of salt) Now in this documentary this ancient civilisation were go about there day to day business when aliens came down and some other stuff anyway point being these people were told by these aliens that they were the creators of mankind etc I've read up about this sorta stuff over the past week and there is alot of good theorys on it. Good point from it all they basically say we created you and created god as a way for you to believe in something. That was the jist of it alll.
    Hamster_brains here , Hello!

We were made in God's image apparently, so if it was an alien he'd have to be a carbon based simian creature. Does anyone else see the implications of this? What are the odds of another carbon based simian existing - it's just to low a chance....

Thanks

We were made in God's image apparently
    Here is a very small description of this (I dont think people would read it if I put all the info)

This is what Jehovah has said:
    �Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness" ~ Genisis 1:26

This means God made us, in his likeness, not physicly, since Jehovah is a spirit, but rather he gave us a special gift, his 4 main attributes:
    Power, Represented by a bull. In the Bible, a bull often represents power, and fittingly so, for it is an immensely strong animal.
    Justice , A lion, on the other hand, often pictures justice, for true justice requires courage, a quality for which lions are renowned.
    Wisdom Eagles are well-known for their keen eyesight, seeing even tiny objects miles away. So the eagle�s face would well picture God�s farsighted wisdom.
    Love Well, man, made in God�s image, is unique in his ability to reflect God�s dominant quality.
    These facets of Jehovah�s personality�power, justice, wisdom, and love�are so frequently highlighted in Scripture that they may be referred to as God�s cardinal attributes.

Animals do not have theese 4 attributes like us.

Thanks

Here is a very small description of this (I dont think people would read it if I put all the info)

This is what Jehovah has said:
    “Let us make man in our image, according to our likeness" ~ Genisis 1:26

This means God made us, in his likeness, not physicly, since Jehovah is a spirit, but rather he gave us a special gift, his 4 main attributes:
    Power, Represented by a bull. In the Bible, a bull often represents power, and fittingly so, for it is an immensely strong animal.
    Justice , A lion, on the other hand, often pictures justice, for true justice requires courage, a quality for which lions are renowned.
    Wisdom Eagles are well-known for their keen eyesight, seeing even tiny objects miles away. So the eagle’s face would well picture God’s farsighted wisdom.
    Love Well, man, made in God’s image, is unique in his ability to reflect God’s dominant quality.
    These facets of Jehovah’s personality—power, justice, wisdom, and love—are so frequently highlighted in Scripture that they may be referred to as God’s cardinal attributes.
    Should we worry that God might have changed in the thousands of years since he was described in the Bible? No, God’s personality does not alter. He tells us: “I am Jehovah; I have not changed.” ~ Malachi 3:6
    Sorry, I should have checked. I read the New Revised Catholic Bible - it's got a whole paragraph in the 7 day world creation part of Genesis

Thanks

Sorry, I should have checked. I read the New Revised Catholic Bible - it's got a whole paragraph in the 7 day world creation part of Genesis
    I edited my post a little, i copied and pasted that from a PM i sent someone about another subject. But most of it still applys.

Thanks

Hamster_brains here , Hello!

We were made in God's image apparently, so if it was an alien he'd have to be a carbon based simian creature. Does anyone else see the implications of this? What are the odds of another carbon based simian existing - it's just to low a chance....
    Chance of God exsisting is to low a chance aswell.

Now to give you a little background I was brought up in a school that tried to teach us the bible etc. Every Friday the local priest would come in preach at us nobody gave a shit we had to sing hymns everybody hated. I think religon is something you have to find yourself you shouldn't be taught it it shouldn't be force fed to you. Recently up town I was walking past this crazy old women who was part of a new religon she said say Karangah for me I was like WTF and said Jenga to her.

Thanks

I edited my post a little, i copied and pasted that from a PM i sent someone about another subject. But most of it still applys.
    No, I read it, I was referring to God creating us in his image. It refers to his appearance in this Catholic Bible I have. It's purple and at around
    2002-2003A.D.was the newest edition out.

Note that I still use A.D. I dislike using B.C.E. despite it being politically correct. Bah!

Thanks

Chance of God exsisting is to low a chance aswell.

Now to give you a little background I was brought up in a school that tried to teach us the bible etc. Every Friday the local priest would come in preach at us nobody gave a shit we had to sing hymns everybody hated. I think religon is something you have to find yourself you shouldn't be taught it it shouldn't be force fed to you. Recently up town I was walking past this crazy old women who was part of a new religon she said say Karangah for me I was like WTF and said Jenga to her.
    You give no sound argument, that is just your opinion, im sorry.

Thanks

You give no sound argument, that is just your opinion, im sorry.
    At the risk of sounding sacriligious Amen To that!!!!

Thanks

Thats all I'm trying to do give my point of view don't go thinking am tryin to get you to give up your religon heck it keeps you sane. All you two are doing is giving me your opinion true your backing it up with quotes from teh bible and stuff but I'm not trying to start an arguement or a debate.

Thanks

Thats all I'm trying to do give my point of view don't go thinking am tryin to get you to give up your religon heck it keeps you sane. All you two are doing is giving me your opinion true your backing it up with quotes from teh bible and stuff but I'm not trying to start an arguement or a debate.
    I use other refrences other then the bible, my sources come from all sorts of books. The bible is the main book yes.

You must use discernment to see beyond the obvoius, What one says may be ones opinion, but its mostly also proven fact.

Thanks

Thanks for chatting....... I hope you've gained some wisdom from all this.....I know I have, anyway household matters call.....

See you guys later

geohound logging out