Thread: working chankast - i'm so confused

Thanks

Default working chankast - i'm so confused

ok i have this game ooga booga, i mounted it with daemon tools, i made sure that the drive to be used was the daemon one (G then i hit start & it says 'can't read dc_bios.bin'. what is this. i've looked around in some other threads & i clicked on the link to where i could get the bios file, but what do i do with it? what files work with chankast? iso, bin, cdi, etc. i'm a complete noob to chankast, this emulation system is waay different than project64, or snes emulator, those are soo simple. so if you guys could help me & guide me through how to work this so i can play some dc games.

THANKS

Thanks

Once you have the dreamcast bios files you'll be able to play your games. You need dc_bios.bin, dc_flash.bin. Click their names for them. Set them in your chankast directory that's all. Once you mount you dc games in daemon or burn them you will be able to play, requiring that ther're bootable.
    Last edited by Josh; 28th-August-2005 at 22:08.

Mikey_ Guest

also i believe chankast runs .cdi files. mounted. not sure if they run .iso or .bin files cuz as far as i know, everyone thats in the DC emulation scene has always dealt with .cdi files.

Thanks
    EP Points

Chankast can run any image format as long as it's mounted by Daemon's Tools and the image is self bootable. That is because chankast doesn't even look at the image. All it does is look at the CD data that Daemon's Tools gives it.

Mikey_ Guest

oooh. chankast can run any image formats, does DC? just wondering cuz i'd much rather make a .bin/.cue image then a .cdi image.

Thanks
    EP Points

It doesn't matter what format the image you get is in. All that really matters is that the CD burning program can burn it correctly so the Dreamcast can read or that Daemon's Tools can read it correctly for Chankast to read it.

Mikey_ Guest

sooo....all this time i spent making sure all my DC images were .cdi were for nothing?

Thanks

great, i downloaded the dc_bios & dc_flash files, i mounted dead or alive 2, & the dreamcast logo thing comes up with the gray screen, then it just freezes at the gray screen & i have to do "ctrl+alt+del" & end chankast. anybody know what's wrong, or is it just the dead or alive file?

thanks

Thanks

ok i got marvel vs. capcom snk, but it runs REEEEAALLLLY slow, anybody know why?

Thanks
    EP Points

Dead or Alive 2 Limited Edition usually crashed the emulator on me too, perhaps that's the one you have, cuz DOA 2 the regular one runs fine. Any CAPCOM games that you try to run in Chankast must have the "Capcom Hack" option turned on, otherwise they'll be slow

Thanks

oh, well that solves my doubts, now i just need to get sonic adventure

Thanks

I only deal in PSX so this is just a question, I do everything with Alcohol120% which comes comlete with its on virtual drive, I then mount my PSX iso into Alcohol and goto my emulator, usually CVGS or ePSXe, run it from there, does DC not work along the same lines?
    Currently Seeding:
    Castlevania - Symphony of the Night

Currently Leeching:
    Nothing

Working on:
    Deception III
    Soul Blade
    Need for Speed 5 - Porsche Unleashed
    Threads of Fate

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by \/3n0(V)
    sooo....all this time i spent making sure all my DC images were .cdi were for nothing?
    Nope

Small point but bin/cue and iso format CD Images can not be selfbootable because neither can have dual sessions that selfbootable dreamcast games use but cdi and nrg can

If the game isn't self boot to start with then it realy does not mater what format the CD image is in but to boot those you would need to use something called Utopia, a boot CD that can be burned and used with a Dreamcast or used with Daemon tools with Chankast to boot up none selfbooting backups
    Last edited by Zorlon; 30th-August-2005 at 13:58.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR