Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Metal Gear Confusion [Warning Spoiler Alert]

Thanks

Default Metal Gear Confusion [Warning Spoiler Alert]

Well I finally beat the 2nd game. I just don't get it, Otacon said that the patriots died 100 years ago, so who now controls the patriots? Under whose orders is ocelot acting under? Also, When snake pointed to his bandana and said "Unlimited ammo" isn't that the bandana Meryl finds if you survive the torture in MGS 1? So Meryl was "supposed" to survive right? And I just don't get why the hell raiden would go back to Rose when she was spying on him.

He must be either drunk or just dumb....

or both.
    Day After Yesterday

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fanfir
    Well I finally beat the 2nd game. I just don't get it, Otacon said that the patriots died 100 years ago, so who now controls the patriots? Under whose orders is ocelot acting under?
    Play MGS3 to find out... or watch the video walkthrough. there is a torrent somewhere. Ho-ly shit MGS3 has the best video game ending ever.

oh, and if i understood this right. rose wasnt actually in mgs2. all those codec sequences were fake. all done by arsenal gear. rose was never part of the mission. she was just a simulator, along with the colonel.

Thanks

I already played MGS 3! beat it 3 times! so whose orders is he under!? EVA's? the chinese? *runs his head against the wall*

Raiden sees rose in the end. she says "see me for who I really am"
    Day After Yesterday

Thanks

I already played MGS 3! beat it 3 times! so whose orders is he under!? EVA's? the chinese? *runs his head against the wall*
    the philosophers are renamed to the patriots. and at the end of the credits, you hear a phone conversation between ocelot and someone who im still trying to recognize. he mentions reviving the patriots. thats all i got out of it. that "patriots died 100 years ago" thing in mgs2 freaked me out. i couldnt sleep well that night

and the rose comment is about those fake codec things. she wants him to forget the computer rose and remember the real one.

about who ocelot is working for. read this. i stole it off wikipedia

"Chronologically, Ocelot first appears in Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater in his younger years (age 20). He is part of GRU and is a major in Spetsnaz's Ocelot unit, although in reality he is a double agent working for the CIA, and a former NSA codebreaker under the code name ADAM; ultimately, he answers to "The Patriots". He is the son of two members of the legendary Cobra Unit, The Boss and The Sorrow, born after his mother was shot during the invasion of Normandy, June 6th, 1944. Although it is hinted at the end, a secret phone conversation during the course of the game lays out his whole lineage. Even if it had not been revealed, there is a strong resemblence between him and his parents which is almost unmistakeable."
    Last edited by Deathcrush; 27th-August-2005 at 08:18.

Thanks

So Ocelot turns into Dr. frankenstein and revvies the dead bodies? Or just the movement?
    Day After Yesterday

Thanks

So Ocelot turns into Dr. frankenstein and revvies the dead bodies? Or just the movement?
    i guess. he said something about using the philosophers legacy money to revive the patriots. i took it literally just so i could rest easy maybe there is something on wikipedia (god that place rox for info)

EDIT - I GOT IT! it WAS on wikipedia. Non of the patriots are still human. The "revival" was creating GW style computers for them. They are all computer AI now.
    Last edited by Deathcrush; 27th-August-2005 at 08:23.

Thanks

So... What about Olga's Child? How's Snake gonan "Rescue" him?

Thanks

So... What about Olga's Child? How's Snake gonan "Rescue" him?
    thats going to be explained in MGS4

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

The original members of the Philosophers died in the early 20th century, as the Boss tells Snake in MGS3. It's those names that Otacon found in the disc.

The "revival" that Ocelot speaks of has nothing to do with computer AI. Boss also speaks of how the Philosophers had become a shadow of it's former self. They no longer had any power. But with the help of the legacy, the US branch could finally be revived.

As for Rose and the Colonel in MGS2... Rose is real. Up to the point in Arsenal where she is about the tell Raiden that she is pregnant. After that, she is switched to an AI. The Colonel, however, was always an AI in the game. It's pretty obvious really, if you think of his way to speak. Always talking about how it wasn't a part of the simulation and bla bla bla. "Complete the mission" yada yada. The Campbell I know wasn't like that in MGS1.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crusher
    The original members of the Philosophers died in the early 20th century, as the Boss tells Snake in MGS3. It's those names that Otacon found in the disc.

The "revival" that Ocelot speaks of has nothing to do with computer AI. Boss also speaks of how the Philosophers had become a shadow of it's former self. They no longer had any power. But with the help of the legacy, the US branch could finally be revived.

As for Rose and the Colonel in MGS2... Rose is real. Up to the point in Arsenal where she is about the tell Raiden that she is pregnant. After that, she is switched to an AI. The Colonel, however, was always an AI in the game. It's pretty obvious really, if you think of his way to speak. Always talking about how it wasn't a part of the simulation and bla bla bla. "Complete the mission" yada yada. The Campbell I know wasn't like that in MGS1.
    damn, i bet you gave yourself one helluva headache trying to figure all that out

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Needled24/7
    damn, i bet you gave yourself one helluva headache trying to figure all that out
    Nah. Crusher was born with MGS in his damned blood. Sucks that it doesn't carry over into reality.

Thanks

im just suprised he UNDERSTOOD mgs2. for me, that game ends when raiden gets knocked out before the whole arsenal gear-naked-run around-stuff thing. i remember the first time i heard those weird codec sequences. i did as campbell said and stopped playing.... for 4 months!

what was hideo on when he though up MGS2?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Needled24/7
    im just suprised he UNDERSTOOD mgs2. for me, that game ends when raiden gets knocked out before the whole arsenal gear-naked-run around-stuff thing. i remember the first time i heard those weird codec sequences. i did as campbell said and stopped playing.... for 4 months!

what was hideo on when he though up MGS2?
    To be perfectly honest MGS2 was my favorite of the three. I was confused as hell when I first played through, and the mention of the Patriots really had me going ever since. I mean, how could a group of twelve men control the flow of information so well as to conpletely lock out entire chunks of history. I tell you, Kojima is a fucking genius. MGS3 was more straightforward and not so convoluted in it's story. It was all about the gameplay there. But the phone conversation and the showdown with Ocelot was great shit. A blank. Who would've though?

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

I've beaten MGS ~12 times.
    I've beaten MGS2 ~18 times.
    I've beaten MGS3 ~6 times.

Metal Gear is my favorite "object" in the world. No other movie, book or game will never ever replace that.

The story of MGS2 is pretty easy to understand... after you've beaten it 3 times or something... I'll gladly try to explain if there is something you don't understand. ^^;

Thanks
    EP Points

I think the plot wasn't so terribly confusing in MGS 2, it's just not so original, and doesn't make much sense. At least until I play MGS 3.
    So, supposedly the Patriots manipulate world politics from behind the scenes. And they don't exist, as it's revealed in the end. So, why would someone go to the trouble of keeping up the illusion of some non-existant manipulators, given that even that illusion is very well concealed? I mean, someone has to be behind the Patriots, who were behind it all. And that doesn't make much sense, I felt it to be just another added plot twist.

Currently awaiting the PC port of MGS 3.