Thread: AOL is at it again.

Thanks

Default AOL is at it again.

I recently got my Tigerdirect.com catalogue in the mail. I started flipping through it, seeing if something would catch my eye. Sure enough it did, an 'AOL Optimized' computer for 199 dollars. 2.50ghz processor, 256mb ram, monitor, printer, keyboard/mouse, the works. Check this website out. Its the AOL Optimized pc homepage.

http://www.aolcheckout.com/aol-pc/aol_02.asp

I originally thought it was a pretty good deal...That is until I looked at the fine print. It states in the fine print that this deal is only available when you buy 12 months of AOLs shitty internet service for 24 dollars a month. That makes a grand total of this "would be" great deal 486 dollars plus AOL calling you 3 times every month afterwards, asking you if you want it again. Shame. I was really looking into this computer to use it as a Redhat server.

But this tells me something. AOL has reached an all-time low (even for their standards). I believe that the lost customers is finally starting to catch up to them. Maybe soon we will no longer have to endure their tv ads claiming that they are number 1 and how they have the "better internet". This pc deal is good news for people that get called monthly, being asked if they want the service. I am one of them.

WeeSneak Guest

AOL isnt so bad. 15 quid for 500kb broadband with no download limit is some of the best you can get in the UK, dunno bout the US though.

Thanks

I thought this kind of thing wasn't that new.

Of course they can't sell that machine at $199, they'd be taking a loss.

However, you could always build yourself a fine FreeBSD server, and run it headless, saving you the cost of keyboard, mouse and monitor. Then you may be able to pull something off at about $300.

Thanks

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Winged 2.0
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing.
    Or make a bitch rig like the one that basically got left on my door step .

Thanks

lol That isnt a very good idea. Doesn't it slow down your internet 60% just being on?

Anyways, I noticed something. The order form for the AOL pc includes nothing about signing up for a service. Possibly when you boot up the computer it wont let you into windows until you sign up because the computer is already tweaked out with aol anyways. Just look at the desktop. Oh well, just a thought and best not to risk 200 dollars on a thought.

Just gotta be sure to pay for the computer using a check.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Winged 2.0
    lol That isnt a very good idea. Doesn't it slow down your internet 60% just being on?

Anyways, I noticed something. The order form for the AOL pc includes nothing about signing up for a service. Possibly when you boot up the computer it wont let you into windows until you sign up because the computer is already tweaked out with aol anyways. Just look at the desktop. Oh well, just a thought and best not to risk 200 dollars on a thought.

Just gotta be sure to pay for the computer using a check.
    More like 90% .

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

AOL have customers? When did this happen?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,302 Times in 1,165 Posts
    EP Points

Hmm, what if you manage to get thrown off AOL within a month of buying the computer. They'd have to refund any subscription fees then, wouldn't they?
    *PSA* Wii Redump collector's can now unscrub ISO files. So scrubbed games can now be verified. You can find the program to do this here

Currently Believed to be in the Grand Bahamas
    Thanks

well, on that site, it says you are charged 300 dollars, i guess you get a rebate once you complete your 12 month term. Also, you are charged a early cancellation fee of "the remaining months times 23.90 plus 20 dollars", so if you get kicked off not only do you pay more for your computer, but you get charged for the remaining months of service PLUS $20

<font style="filter:glow(color=#ff0000, strength=3);height=1px">
    If the enemy is in sight, so are you.</font>

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh AOL, you crazy fools. What won't you do? :eyeball:

Thanks

They've been doing this for quite a while. Years ago they were giving away computers for free after agreeing to sign up for 24 months, if you cancel before the 24 months they would bill you for the retail price of the computer.

If you want a cheap computer get a dell. for $299 after instant rebate ($375 retail) you can get a...
    2.4ghz celeron
    256ddr
    80gb hd
    17" monitor
    48x cd burner
    dell colour printer

I'm sure emachines has some $300 computers also.

Thanks

AOL has always been crap. I have no idea why my bro had their dialup for so long. 24$ is ridiculous, you can get a much better and more reliable dialup service for $10/mo. AND you're not forced to use some ISP's crapware to get online.

It took us a 1.5 hour call to get the assholes to cancel our AOL subscription. It's like... their representatives had a gun pointed at their head or something, and would die if the customer canceled the subscription.

I heard about this "AOL rig" some time ago, I saw a TV ad for it like 5 months ago. Seriously, you can build a better cheaper rig yourself if you're the type that scours about for parts and shit. If you're not computer-savvy, and you don't care much for gaming and stuff, you can always get a Dell.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Davemc
    AOL have customers? When did this happen?
    lol i have a friend who used AOL and thought he was protocted and stuff. The i went over to fix his computer, she was complaining that is was slow and slugish all around, especially during boot. All i had to do was run Ad-aware on there. Her comp was back to norm and the boot lag was gone. She had 171 files total (although i took it a step further and defraged, cleaned her registry, where she had 616 errors there).

Summary: AOL sux at the internetz