Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So i play Games? Lay off!

Thanks

Default So i play Games? Lay off!

Okay, who has ever been 'ridiculed' or even told off by parents etc for playing video games?
    What the hell is that all about?
    If i spent every second of every day reading novels, my parents and friends wouldnt say one word as most people just attribute books with intellect and knowledge.
    What is so different about playing a videogame?
    I play rpg's mostly as i love to play a role in stories rather than just read them. And i plain and simple just love to see the new stories that games have to offer. IS that so different than reading a book?
    Only in the fact that you can actually use a bit more of your mind thinking strategies in some of the games, or in some circumstances, relax your mind as you let the game 'imagine' the scenery for you.
    Whilst playing games, you are at least doing some sort of moving around the controller/keyboard (although small, its more than turning a page every so often).
    Also, although arguable, i find that more fun can be had whilst playing a game since you are able to interact with it as you venture through a world that is unlike your own. Is it so bad to want a break from the tiresome world of today?
    It seems to me that older people (not all of them, but a fair amount) seem to have some vandetta against young people and computer games, and of course they wont listen when you try to explain the things i have stated above as it isnt what they did when they were kids. Different times people, get with them, or get lost in them.
    Good is good, but Evil is necessary

Thanks

I've been ridiculed for shaving my legs but that's it. Oh, an there was that day when I forgot to wear pants.

I don't know you, you're not my friend.

I'm full of good ideas..

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, computer games are often attacked because some people think that it makes children aggressive... well, it may be true for some, but not all. Also, some people believe that computer games make children dumb... yeah, if you don't care for anything else, this is true, but I learned a lot of English from games. Parents are not wrong to worry about their children, but thinking that video games are the source of all evil is kinda stupid. But as TV programs are different from reading a good novel, so are video games... yeah, I read novels quite often, but I still play video games. The two are just not the same, and video games can't replace books. Maybe children think that reading a novel means boring, old western stories or something like this? There are modern books, novels are still written, even today. And if you find the genre you like, these novels can be really enjoyable (like the quite famous Discworld novels of Terry Pratchett). So I think video games can't take the place of books. Those are two different worlds.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GareJei
    So I think video games can't take the place of books. Those are two different worlds.
    Well i dont really see how they are two different worlds, except for the fact that you can interact more with games. I mean, what is the difference in reading a story on the screen, or reading a story on paper?

And as for games creating violence, i have never heard of a case where someone has decided to take a sword and go out hunting people, or even tried to jump off of a building and cast float before they hit the ground.
    I dont know what goes on in the mind of killers and they may well be influenced by games and such, but i think that those people like that are just mentally unstable from the beginning, games dont create that. And as for parents being worried? I see it not as a lifestyle, but more as a hobby. Some people collect/paint models, some play games.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ProjectSeph
    Well i dont really see how they are two different worlds, except for the fact that you can interact more with games. I mean, what is the difference in reading a story on the screen, or reading a story on paper?
    More detail, more story. You can write down a lot more than the things that you can show on the monitor. Anyway, if you've read a good, interesting book you should know what I'm talking about.

And as for games creating violence, i have never heard of a case where someone has decided to take a sword and go out hunting people, or even tried to jump off of a building and cast float before they hit the ground.
    I dont know what goes on in the mind of killers and they may well be influenced by games and such, but i think that those people like that are just mentally unstable from the beginning, games dont create that. And as for parents being worried? I see it not as a lifestyle, but more as a hobby. Some people collect/paint models, some play games.
    Yeah, that's what I was trying to say... those murderers were sick from the beginning, or the parents were raising them in a... 'strange' way. If you take a game too seriously, it's not the game that has the problem... it's you.

And it is a hobby, true... and not a lifestyle that you get addicted to. But there are children who just can't understand this: that's what the worrying is about I think.
    Last edited by Gare; 15th-July-2005 at 13:48.

Thanks
    EP Points

I play rpg's mostly as i love to play a role in stories rather than just read them. And i plain and simple just love to see the new stories that games have to offer. IS that so different than reading a book?
    Okay, I'm being a tad evil here, but have you ever read a decent book? Games just don't offer near that kind of plot or character development. Books also give you some insight into how the world is/should be. Also, books use your imagination more, so your creative mind can develop. Games improve reflexes and all that shizznit, but that's beside the point.
    What I'm trying to say, that playing a game does not require too much brain activity. Trying to comprehend the underlayered meanings of a book can be quite hard. While just simply pushing the action button on anything that moves in FF7, leveling up and whatever... well, it basically exists so that they could tell a story by that game.

Read the above. Plus, narration takes a back seat to dialouge, so games would compare better to theatre, not books. Describing the scenery or action is not necessary in games, but in a novel this can reveal much of the situation or the character's personality.

I dont know what goes on in the mind of killers and they may well be influenced by games and such, but i think that those people like that are just mentally unstable from the beginning, games dont create that.
    A guy once shot his friend with his home-made shotgun because he lost a game in Quake.
    Things like this aren't typical, but this just shows that some people are utterly violent, and games can bring out that hidden violence. They would probably shoot anyone for any reason, so this can't at all be attributed to games entirely.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pkt-zer0
    Okay, I'm being a tad evil here, but have you ever read a decent book? Games just don't offer near that kind of plot or character development. Books also give you some insight into how the world is/should be. Also, books use your imagination more, so your creative mind can develop. Games improve reflexes and all that shizznit, but that's beside the point.
    What I'm trying to say, that playing a game does not require too much brain activity. Trying to comprehend the underlayered meanings of a book can be quite hard. While just simply pushing the action button on anything that moves in FF7, leveling up and whatever... well, it basically exists so that they could tell a story by that game.
    Dont get me wrong, i like books, my fav is probably Romance of the Three Kingdoms/Tales of the Otori, but i just think games offer a different style of 'Adventure' that you just cant get from books. Some will argue that im just not creative or imaginative enough, and all i can say to them is *sigh*.
    In books you read how the character behaves, his/her actions and learn about them, you can even create their images from how you would wish to view them, but when i am after a good story that some games can offer me, i prefer to be able to sit back and watch the story unfold as i also help. rather than sit back and let the story unfold as in books, i know i have put in some contribution into 'earning' part of the story (btw i agree some books take just as much effort due to underlying meanings and difficulty). And of course most of the bosses etc in rpg's are a joke,but for the certain few difficult ones, when you earn the story it does also feel like you are accomplishing more.
    This is going to be a totally subjective discussion, and frankly i am for either side in a way. but feel free to state your views etc

Thanks

I dont know what goes on in the mind of killers and they may well be influenced by games and such, but i think that those people like that are just mentally unstable from the beginning, games dont create that.
    Yeah you have to be pretty unstable to go off and kill sombody over a video game but i must say.. When me and my freinds used to play hours of 007 and perfect dark on n64. If i was ontop of somthing like a roof or anything of that sort and saw sombody my mind immediatly though... wow what a sniper shot or crowds of people... if i had a grenade.. I would never act on such things though but to some people how already have mental problems they want to act it out.

p.s: you all know you have thought about having a sniper rifle or a certain weapon IRL or am i the only one
    SIG REMOVED.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fear
    p.s: you all know you have thought about having a sniper rifle or a certain weapon IRL or am i the only one
    lol, you arent the only one. I always daydream of being a mad samurai warrior or ninja and just slaughtering people. Yea its crazy and sick, but i dont mind, but it isnt like i do it in real life so its fine. And i dont think its due to games at all, just my mindset i have accumulated over my life. And if people do posses these thoughts, its up to them to control their actions, you cant blame a game, it's like the saying "Guns dont kill people, people kill people" And this is very true. Of course guns create a certain level of easiness of 'offing' someone, but if someone wishes to kill, the intent is always there and THEY need to control themselves. And im sure they would try and find a way of killing if there werent any guns to be found, (same with games).
    Thats why i am against blaming games for violence.Its people's fault, take the blame for your own actions.

Thanks
    EP Points

Dont get me wrong, i like books, my fav is probably Romance of the Three Kingdoms/Tales of the Otori, but i just think games offer a different style of 'Adventure' that you just cant get from books. Some will argue that im just not creative or imaginative enough, and all i can say to them is *sigh*.
    I guess you answered your own question. The key part is interactivity. Books tell stories, games let you play stories. My only problem was that games are aimed at a much wider audience, and thus they don't usually have that kind of plot depth. Super Mario RPG is a great game, but it's definitely not going to change my way of thinking.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pkt-zer0
    I guess you answered your own question.
    Yeah, guess i did answer my own question in a way...*sigh* ..i seem to do that a fair bit...

Thanks
    EP Points

It's done by adults who didn't grow up playing video games. Thus, they think it's childish, since they see children playing video games.. or think, it's for children. As simple as that.
    I'm pretty old now, I'd say, 18 to be exact, and by Indian law, I'm an adult. I play video games and don't look down on other people who do too. It's because I grew up playing them and still do. My parents too think Video Games are childish. They never played them. As simple as that. The next generation is not going to think games are childish. Atleast not those exposed to videogames... People think I'm stupid for listening to gaming music, know what, I don't give a shit. It's better than most music out there.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MasJ
    People think I'm stupid for listening to gaming music, know what, I don't give a shit. It's better than most music out there.
    HAHA, nice. Yea that is true. I still like some of the midi's like Loss of Me (ffIX-steiner and beatrix's theme) and The FFX intro theme.

Thanks

I prefer books over games.. but maybe that's just me.

"Violence is always the answer. If you somehow believe violence is not the answer, you are asking the wrong questions. If violence is not solving your problems then you're not using enough of it."

Visit my Deviant Art Gallery here:http://sspirate.deviantart.com/gallery/

Thanks
    EP Points

Eh, I think we've all been in a similar situation at some point or another. Since I was about twelve years old my parents have been asking me when I'm going to "Grow out of video games". As you can probably guess, I don't take much notice nowadays. Depending on the situation and how busy I am, I'll play for anything from a few hours a day to a half an hour every few days. Although I can sort of see why parents get upset if their child spends every waking hour in front of a TV screen, I don't see how it's any different to any other hobby. You do get the odd nutcase who literally has no other interests whatsoever, but in my experience they're few and far between. The vast majority of my friends play games and I only know one person who fits the above description (even to the point of giving himself an epileptic fit from playing his GameCube too much, but that's another story ). I always found the "childish" card to be redundant anyway. If it's such a childish hobby, why are there so many age restricted games on the shelves? That's logic for you. :eyeball:

The fact is you'd be hard pressed to find anyone between the ages of 10 and 40 who plays no games whatsoever. Even my father (for all his complaining about my hobby) enjoys playing flight simulators and solitaire every so often! Alright, so it's not exactly Quake, but the point is he does like to play games. Come to think of it, he even used to play Starfox on my SNES every now and again! For a lot of older people I guess it's a psychological thing. I'd be willing to bet that a sizeable percentage of parents see how much fun their child is having through gaming, and they refuse to partake in this activity due to fear that they'll become sucked in and be labelled as childish.

I also think that the older generation's reluctance to embrace new technology has a lot to do with it. For example: my parents refuse to purchase a DVD player for the front room because their reasoning is if there's anything on the TV that they want to watch, they'll video tape it. They don't see the logic in paying �15 just to watch a movie. This kind of situation also occured when I bought my Creative MP3 player. Both of them considered the device to be overpriced and didn't think I would use it enough to justify its purchase. Of course, that all changed when I bought one and they saw what an amazing piece of kit it was was. I've downloaded the majority of my music onto the player, use it every day and they now agree that it was more than worth the money. I also seem to remember a similar thing happening many years ago when I bought a portable CD player!

Some people will accept new technology, some won't, and that's really what it boils down to.
    Last edited by Cosmic; 15th-July-2005 at 16:02.