Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Error free PSX game Thread.

Thanks
    EP Points

Default The Error free PSX game Thread.

I don't know whether or not this should be a trading post topic, (for reasons which may become apparent later in this thread) but I was wondering what the possibility of creating a sort of database if you will of games that you have that pass the CDMage Scan.

Thoughts are welcome and depending of the types of responces I may Sticky this.

Thanks
    EP Points

But this is only assuming that everyone has the same copies of each game, something that would be impossible to verify as far as I know, they may both scan clean but there's no way to tell if both images are from the same disc, I'm not sure what the benefit would be?

Thanks
    EP Points

Hmm, I don't know I suppose it might help with a few things, for example, in case a game didn't work I could send you a part of my disc to help fix it if it caused problems, I have patched a game together from another game this way. I want to see where this goes really, even if it falls flat on its face, I can at least look at opinions on this.

Zorlon is offline Older than you think
    Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Just here to help out when I can
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,176 Times in 1,328 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Almost every game I own is error free

I desperatly need to get them organised though I'm not even sure what I have now

Anyway for starters, off the top of my head I have almost every US Square RPG with 0 error the only game that makes it so I don't have them all is Chrono Trigger that has 3 errors all on FMV video

Most PSX games have a number ID so it's rather easy to tell if a game is the same version or not

I think Theo is getting at something I got him doing not that longback to make a game with unrepairable CD Image with errors become a perfect CD Image with 0 errors by importing a good copy of one of the files over the bad file with CDMage from another CD Image of the same game that I had with a good copy of the file that I extracted from my CD Image copy even though my copy was also bad it was bad in a different file.

So between us we made one perfect CD image from 2 bad ones
    Last edited by Zorlon; 11th-July-2005 at 22:15.

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Hot Coffee [COMPLETE]
    [Mod ready] & [Full ISO ready]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Ah right I see what your getting at, I must admit that I'm still fuzzy over what errors actually mean in PSX games, I've played through some games from beggining to end with no problems that I know have errors in them when scanned with CDMage...

Thanks
    EP Points

Errors in emulation aren't that bad they tend to not work if you try and put it on disc I believe (for a modded psx)

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

It's more helpfull for actual hardware (also helps square games run fine in ePSXe 1.6)

ePSXe has beter error handling anyway

I'm not going to even start getting involved in talk about errors but just wanted to say not all errors will effect game play with PSX games (most the time errors are in unused sectors anyway)

Mod projects - XBOX
    Phantasy Star Online Episodes 1 & 2 - online quests in offline mode packs [COMPLETE]
    [Quest Packs Collection]
    GTA San Andreas - Real Car Names extra content mod [WIP] [Back burner, just won't have the time ]
    Please can all ESR users post your results here to help with the project and others wanting to use ESR

Thanks
    EP Points

Just a hand to those who get lumbrered with medium-high errors

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Should also help stop the need to use F7 in ePSXe to move onto the next game instruction or to help FMV move onto the next frame

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

but one thing I will ask now, will an error be there on purpose for some games? as in one or two games for example may have something on it that reads as a error, will CDmage mess it up?

Thanks

most errors are in .xa and .str files (sound and movie files)
    For some reason those are very vulnerable and corrupt very easily. So the sounds and movies with errors will play fine with minimal glitches that might not even be noticed by the human eye/ear, depending how many errors the files have.
    Serious errors in these files would be low quality / static filled music/sound and frame skipping in fmv movies. This won't stop the game from running though so you can play all the way through.
    As long as the data files have no errors, the game will play fine till the end.

Does the DC have good error handling as well? It seems that every copy of Gundam: Rise from the Ashes is filled with thousands of errors in the sound files. I can clearly hear the low garbled quality of the voices in the missions because of it (anybody got a 0 error copy?)
    Last edited by Myst; 11th-July-2005 at 22:44.
    Give me what I want or face destruction........IN JAPANESE!

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

That Gundam game just has bad resampling in it to be able to fit on a standard CD unfortionatly, your lucky to have any sound in it.

The Dreamcast isn't the best for error handling no but it's still far beter than the PSX and the PS2

*.str files are the ones that mainly tend to stop games from working at all, most of the complaints in this section are to do with bad CD Images and very often it's errors in *.str files thats the problem
    Last edited by Zorlon; 11th-July-2005 at 22:57.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]

Thanks
    EP Points

I don't get the point of this thread.
    Is it a place to request error free games? If yes, I don't see why you couldn't do such anywhere else.
    Is it a place to show how much error free games you have? If so you could always write (error free) aside each game in your list that don't have any error.
    If it's to help recover errors in certain images, it's all good but I don't see those requests often.

And another thing, what about games that should have errors? Every SECUROM cd should have errors, aswell as some games with dummy files (files appear in TOC but are not really there) and games with physical errors in some files not used in-game, just there to make the burner think there's a problem.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by polobunny
    I don't get the point of this thread.
    Is it a place to request error free games? If yes, I don't see why you couldn't do such anywhere else.
    Is it a place to show how much error free games you have? If so you could always write (error free) aside each game in your list that don't have any error.
    If it's to help recover errors in certain images, it's all good but I don't see those requests often.

And another thing, what about games that should have errors? Every SECUROM cd should have errors, aswell as some games with dummy files (files appear in TOC but are not really there) and games with physical errors in some files not used in-game, just there to make the burner think there's a problem.
    you see I made this thread without any real objective, so I'm hoping to get one after reading the replies ( don't know if that makes any sense)

Still loves Retro gaming
    Still loves new consoles
    Part time games modder
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Cushing
    but one thing I will ask now, will an error be there on purpose for some games? as in one or two games for example may have something on it that reads as a error, will CDmage mess it up?
    PSX errors like that can't be repaired so no it wouldn't mess them up it would with some PC-CD's but the protection methods used with PC-CD's is nothing like the protection used on PSX CD's

SECUROM cd protection is PC-CD protection and not used with PSX CD's

The things Polobunny is worried about are actually things to do with PC-CD's not PSX CD's, PSX CD's use a different sorts of protection to what PC-CD's use

PSX protection has got more to do with mod chips than just backup protection
    Last edited by Zorlon; 12th-July-2005 at 00:32.

Mod projects - XBOX
    [Quest Packs Collection]