Thread: Computer help (Urgent)

Thanks

Default Computer help (Urgent)

Hey there guys.

Well.. where do i start.

For a few months now i've been having BSOD problems. They occur whenever i attempt to play a pc game, whenever a torrent over 2gb is checking, or anything that could be slightly strenuous.

This isn't the problem, though.

In a futile attempt to resolve the problem, i decided to do an inplace upgrade of Windows XP from CD. Now, the installation has the same problem; halfway through the new installation, the PC chucks out a BSOD at me, the same one i've seen.

The BSODs vary, as follows;

error in NTFS.sys (recommends chkdsk f, can't do that)
    IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL (Stop 0x00000A, certainly the most common)
    DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL (USBPORT.SYS, only seen it on this alternate OS)
    and some random BSODs that are something like 0x00008E or something, i'm sorry i can't be more specific.

I cannot get back onto my OS; i am using an alternate OS (which i hate, thoroughly) but can still acccess the other's system files.

In short, my specs are;

AMD Athlon 3000+ Barton Core
    1024mb DDRam (2x512)
    1x Maxtor 40gb HDD (C:\)
    1x WD 120gb HDD (D, E, F, G)
    aTI Radeon 9700 pro 128mb.
    BTC +/- DVD Rewriter.
    NVidia Nforce motherboard (sorry i couldn't be more specific, but this board is not ancient)

What i'm looking for, in short, is;

How to get to my old OS again
    How to solve the BSOD problem.

What i have already attempted;

Unclipped the larger HDD, the problem is still there. It is now back in use.
    Tried the different RAM sticks in at different times.

Well.. that's all, really.

Any help, would be GREATLY and much appreciated.

Thanks y'all,
    Georgyw5k.

Thanks

How to get back to Original OS:Have u tried Safe mode with networking? Hold down F8 while booting. If that dont work go with last known config selection(system restore F8), Run chkdsk /r
    on C: then run defrag if possible(plug C: in slave slot and run it thru alt OS)
    and if all that fails.....start comp up with bare components required to at least start the comp. Cpu, p/s,hdd (c: ),known good memory and onboard vid.

Possible BSOD solution:i was reading ur message and my brain went back to my A+ days and i remembered a book, Thomson Course Tech PC troubleshooting pocket guide,Helped me out a bunch of times

STOP 0X0000000A: Caused by faulty hardware or software thast is attemping to access a protected memory area. Uninstall any newly installed hardware or software
    (microsoft knowledge base article Q314063)

as for DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL. ive seen this before...have u recently installed a driver? it could be a bad driver...Does the game u was playing require a usb controller or mouse? check for any recent installs of usb driver software.

go from there and pm me if u have any probs. good luck

edit: is the comp beeping at u with the original setup u had on here?
    Last edited by mj_1107; 23rd-June-2005 at 03:17.

Thanks

Beeping at me? No, i haven't noticed it beeping.

I haven't recently installed a driver, but as i said, the DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL points to USBPORT.sys.

This OS seems to be working fine at the moment though, so i may use this from now onwards. I'd still like to get a solution to my game problem, though.