Thread: DSL Connection Question. (Regarding turning the power on and off)

Thanks

Default DSL Connection Question. (Regarding turning the power on and off)

Hey guys, what's up?

On my Verizon DSL, (which I asked before via EMail, no help though.) I turn off the modem, if that's what you call it, off when I leave at night. The problem is that when I turn it back on, it won't connect to the interenet unless I go to "My Local Area Connection" in "My Controls", and disabling it, then enable it again. Yeah, sadly, I found that out myself, and it connects back on. It's a hassle. Is there a true way of turning the modem on, and it instantly connects to the internet? I'm pretty sure there is. If anyway help, I'd appreciated, and thanks a lot.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by ((kVn))
    Hey guys, what's up?

On my Verizon DSL, (which I asked before via EMail, no help though.) I turn off the modem, if that's what you call it, off when I leave at night. The problem is that when I turn it back on, it won't connect to the interenet unless I go to "My Local Area Connection" in "My Controls", and disabling it, then enable it again. Yeah, sadly, I found that out myself, and it connects back on. It's a hassle. Is there a true way of turning the modem on, and it instantly connects to the internet? I'm pretty sure there is. If anyway help, I'd appreciated, and thanks a lot.
    There is no reason to turn off the DSL Modem at night. When you do, you are losing the IP address assigned to you by DHCP. Then when you turn the computer back on, you are without an IP, and you have to disable Windows' connections...re-enabling it triggers the process of the IP configuration.

I just leave mine on, and I also have Verizon

Thanks

Ha! I thought of always leaving on the modem 24/7, and I always thought that was the point of having an always connected internet. Well, thanks man, for the help and explanation. You gotta admit, finding that little method I'd being using, I might be a genious... not. I'm proud. Thanks again. + rep.
    Last edited by ((KvN)); 18th-June-2005 at 03:23.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung
    There is no reason to turn off the DSL Modem at night. When you do, you are losing the IP address assigned to you by DHCP. Then when you turn the computer back on, you are without an IP, and you have to disable Windows' connections...re-enabling it triggers the process of the IP configuration.

I just leave mine on, and I also have Verizon
    I too have Verizon, and hauled Sprung into the club.

Having your modem off is... umm, not really useful unless you're really cheap when it comes to your electrical bill(you might as well not want to flush your toilet, if so).

It IS -however- a good idea to restart the modem as often as you reboot your comp. If you're like me and leave you're comp on for several days, you'll find yourself resetting the modem when some pages don't load/some p2p apps suddenly stop working, you get slow speeds, or when your connection suddenly appears to have died.

When resetting a modem, turn it off for 15 seconds at least then turn it on and wait until the lights stop blinking completely. That's when the modem has finished syncing with Verizon's servers, and when your connection is set to go. It's a good idea to turn your comp off, reboot the modem, wait til it's set, then boot your comp. Works like a dream every time.

Edit: Btw... why not call their tech support number? They're really helpful most of the time, unless you ask them something really technical or dealing more with software/OS stuff(but they do have a guy for that). Thing is sometimes you have to wait a few minutes in line, but 99% of the time you'll solve any problem over the phone, so it's worth it.
    Last edited by Soeru; 18th-June-2005 at 04:30.

Thanks

Yeah, I've been trying to call. I uh... see if I could get any help here at Emuparadise first, yeah, that's it!

Well, When I first noticed that it didn't connect, I reboot my PC, and I found out it works too. You're also right about not turning it off and being cheap. Well, I could really care less about leaving the PC on, let alone the modem. Blame it on the parents. But just another year, then I leave the house, and party like it's my birthday.
    Anyway, thanks for the info Souru! + rep.

Thanks

You guys must have really shitty modems...I have the Cisco 678 and I haven't had to reset it in the 6 months I've had it...That's with Qwest DSL though.

Thanks

I don't need to reset it, it's just that to save money or not cause it to overheat. Whatever the reason is, it's my parent's command. Now, that's shitty.

Thanks

Oh, that does suck.

Why do you guys need to reboot your comp everytime? I never reboot and am fine. But perhaps you should set a static IP like me?

Thanks

!!!
    So there's a way?!?! How?
    Is it part of your service, or you can just do it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ((kVn))
    !!!
    So there's a way?!?! How?
    Is it part of your service, or you can just do it?
    I meant a static IP on the lan and not for your actual IP address...sorry.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xaenn
    You guys must have really shitty modems...I have the Cisco 678 and I haven't had to reset it in the 6 months I've had it...That's with Qwest DSL though.

The Westell 2200, which is what Verizon is giving out mostly nowadays, is a wonderful little piece of hardware. It's dirt cheap and works very well for what 99% of broadband users will ever need it for. I got my shite for $20? I don't even remember if I payed for it, so if I did, it was probably an insignificant amount(and I'm poor as fuck).

Physically, it's just a modem, but it comes set as a router by default. This can be changed to a net gateway if you were to hook it up to a network though, so it works like a charm.

Rebooting is a good idea, for any kind of device. For the first couple of months I never really had the need to reboot the modem and shit, I think it's only become necessary when some issues came up with the speed changes not so long ago. I haven't rebooted my modem in like 9 days now, so I think it's doing fine, but I'll still do some full reboots from time to time, I still believe it's a good habit.

Oh, and thanks for the rep.

Thanks
    EP Points

I have the Westell 327W. It is so easy to configure, that even I can do it

The 4 port router that's built-in is nice too. Got mine free for signing up, thanks to Soeru

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xaenn
    I have Qwest also, I havn't touched my modem for god who knows how long. My parents comp has a 4 month 3 week 4 days and 23 second up time. Beat that .