Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: going retro

Hel...Sioux Falls, SD USA...wait their the same damned thing! Hell...
    Thanks

like i said before...there is something else in the sound of vinyl...i can't explain it...but it's no fun without that...it's like when you take a cracker dipped in soup...it may taste better...but it's just missing something(in the crackers case it's the "crisp"...but i don't know what it is your loosing in the transition...but i love the sound of vinyl...)

edit>> plus i already dished the 599.99 for my vinyl tables...and the cd ones were running around $1.5k...i don't have enough money to make 600 a waste...
    Last edited by lunargirl; 13th-June-2005 at 09:24.
    My name is Lunargirl, I am a woman. You can say i'm wrong all you want, but, I'll just say your a sexist pig you sexist pig! I'm always right, women are always right!

Thanks

CD tables aren't worth an f'ing cent. Seriously, you're right to go with vinyl. I myself am I huge collector of vinyl, and I prefer records over CDs for a number of reasons. Beyond just the awesome depth and sound of vinyl, there's the fact that some artists make special releases that don't get released on CDs.

On the note of making your own: If you're going to be mass producing (which doesn't sound like the case for you at the moment, but dream big!) you'd need to go through a complicated pressing process involving making a "negative" metal disk to press the vinyl with.

However, more recently vinyl cutters have come onto the market, which makes things alot cheaper (well, relatively.) The Vestax VRX-2000 lets you cut your own vinyl. The $10,000 pricetag for one, while expensive, is alot cheaper than a press. A LOT cheaper.

Your third option is to look to a commercial agency to do it for you. You can get test-tracks pressed on acetate for fairly cheap, though the durability will suffer.

To conclude, it won't be a cheap process. Wait until you have some money put away and some tunes you'd be really proud to get pressed and think would sell. Vinyl isn't really a medium for making "mixed-tapes", so to speak.

Thanks

i wasn't really thinking comercial nore mixtape...i'm just tired of wearing damage into my copy of "the black album" and would like to have my own custom sampled album that is 1)unique to me and 2)doesn't matter if i wear it down cause i can cut another one...

btw: what is the difference between a cutter and a lathe??
    My name is Lunargirl, I am a woman. You can say i'm wrong all you want, but, I'll just say your a sexist pig you sexist pig! I'm always right, women are always right!

Thanks

No difference, really. A lathe, though, would generally be associated with higher end, professionally cut vinyl.

Give this a read:
    http://remixmag.com/mag/remix_vinyl_cut/

I'm off to bed, it's late (early?) here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MasJ
    [Offtopic]Normal mice will do well to. After all,they're the ones with the balls, ehm.. ball.[/Offtopic].

Yes, Vinyl's do sound really nice, the analog reproduction of music is something spectacular. It's not something you can easily replicate on digital media...
    actually theres a program, cant remember the name though, but it it lets u make that scratching sound with an optical mouse

Thanks

it may let you make the "scratching noise" as you put it...but it isn't really a scratch...a decent facsimily...but not the real thing...plus it feels really bleeding acward...

(sorry for any mispells i have made...i'm half out of it..)

Thanks
    EP Points

yar a mouse could never substitute the direct drive of a nice turntable

but scratching is blasphemy,unless you got an extra copy of whatever record just for scratching

Thanks

Virtaul Dj is the shit