View Poll Results: Monkey D. vs (5 votes to win)

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Monkey D.

1 16.67%
  • 5 83.33%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: Who here at EP actually like's rap?

Thanks

I like Hip Hop and stuff, but it's kinda dead lately T.T

im nowhere, but at the same time im everywhere. I am but an enigma in this world
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by brit
    Silly guy. Either way, your rapping. Being a writer and freestyler definitely put a different spin on things, but in either case, it's still emceeing or rapping. I don't write anymore.

Whoever said rapping takes no talent needs to really take a backseat and calm that shit down. To be a decent rapper, it's beyond simply making two words rhyme. This isn't "Dr. Suess, teach us about word sounds and rhyme" hour. To rap you have to have a sort of mastery of metaphors, similies, wordplay, breath control, rhythm, and last but not least the ability to know what words rhyme innately as well as those that have to be forced. You also have to manage those rhymes by keeping a sort of meter, or flow, and rhyme scheme in your lines. Writing a GOOD rap verse is a sequence of thought similar to composing a sonnet. If you listen to an underground rap song, you won't hear the bullshit you hear on the radio, you'll hear true emcees in their element--using skill as they please. Trust me, a few bad apples don't spoil the barrel. What I'm asking you to do for me is to stop saying, 'Rap Sucks!!11@1,' and start saying 'SOME rap sucks !!11@1.' You dig, or do I have to break it down further for you?
    Like Dingy said, Excellently worded.

Thanx a lot to DSerge for this sig.

Mikey_ Guest

i listen to rap. always have. i grew up listening to it and expanded my musical tastes to other genres. i used to like tupac, biggie, wu tang, jayz, nas, cypress hill, and others. i still like'em. some of my fav artists were snoop dog, dre and now eminem. i kinda like the rap/rock hybrids like lincon park and limp bizkit. now though i listen to anything. of course i still have my favorite types of music like pop, techno, rap, rock, classical, etc. i just hate country music. country music = must die

Mikey_ Guest

rap/hip-hop useless? i don't think so. alot of it isn't useless, but if you're gonna bring something like that up then i must say that metal is pretty useless also considering alot of it is just horrible yelling.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by X][Venom][X
    rap/hip-hop useless? i don't think so. alot of it isn't useless, but if you're gonna bring something like that up then i must say that metal is pretty useless also considering alot of it is just horrible yelling.
    That's because you're only familiar with the crappy metal that gets played on television. Go listen to some 80's metal. No horrible yelling involved.

Harsh vocals play a big role in extreme music like death/black metal and grindcore, hardcore. At least it's not as monotonous as a guy reciting poetry. Most vocalists in such bands have inhuman lung capacity and endurance. If you want to hear a really cool rhyming scheme, listen to "Maddening Disdain" by Arsis and "The Bullet's Breath" by Iniquity. The way the lyrics are sang have a nice rythm to it, you might not like the rest of the music but just thought you might like the vocal's rythm.

Quote Originally Posted by Dingy
    Soeru, I rarely heard rappers with crude grammer.
    I wasn't talking about foul language, I was pointing out that I know of few rappers that use proper English in their lyrics. A mastery of phonetics would go along oh-so-nicely with a mastery of the language.

Another reason why I don't like most rap is because absolutely no instruments are involved. I would consider singing as an instrument, but most of the time no melody is used when rapping... Showy instrumentation isn't a must, but I do like to see/hear somebody doing something challenging on an instrument, whatever it may be.

This has been a "r@p suXx0rz" thread from the first post... it's hard to voice your opinion without pissing at least somebody off. So how about we keep the comments about a musical genre you dislike polite and curtious, or not post about it at all? I believe I've kept it civil so far, at least noone's standing behind me with a hatchet yet.
    Last edited by Soeru; 12th-June-2005 at 17:29.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soeru
    it's hard to voice your opinion without pissing at least somebody off.

I agree with that lol

Mikey_ Guest

lol yeah u should know about that pirate

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soeru
    I wasn't talking about foul language
    Neither was I. I meant that there are very few rappers I've heard who have an unrefined mastery over their language.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dummy_head
    Yeah, Soeru, Arsis is the best. But I don't like hair metal, if that's what you're talking about (80's metal). Iron Maiden and Helloween are about the only -heavy or power- metal bands from the 80's I like, well there's alot more, but I can't name them all now.
    And I guess I was dissing hip hop a bit, sorry for that. I guess all rap isn't incredibly horrible (but if I hear in tha club by 50 cent one more time, I'll fucking snap. For fuck's sake, it isn't my birthday, dipshit.) But I know, I know, that's mainstream rap, but I do like undergound hip hop, like Public Enemy (if they're even UG), because they did that song with Anthrax, which is good...
    That song with Anthrax sucked... I hated every second of it while playing Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2... They're both good bands, but their little joint project was boring, IMHO. It was nice to see a merger of two scenes, though it was extremely short-lived. I kind of used to like Public Enemy, but I think RunDMC were far better.

I seriously hope there are a ton of more 80's bands that you like(Judas Priest, Dio, Ozzy, Skid Row, Manowar, and an assload of thrash bands). Hair metal did indeed mostly suck, but that flashy glam rock stuff sure beat's todays pop rock. W.A.S.P. fucking rules.

As with most music nowadays, mainstream artists compose of 95% shit. The rest are talented peeps who bowed the big dollar sign. So yeah, we shouldn't judge an entire musical movement on a bunch of retards that made it on TV/radio. My opinions on rap are mostly limited to what is aired on MTV/radio, because that's all there seems to be nowadays.

I'm sure that fans of the underground hip hop stuff despise mainstream rap, I'm sure they think it gives them a bad name with all this bling bling crap. Hell, I get pissed when I see mainstream metal bands like Korn and Disturbed trying to look all cool, why wouldn't it be the same?

Pop rap... prap, I shall henceforth call it.

Thanks

Hmm... I think I like Mighty 44 but I think it isn't rap although it have some rapping... I think it's "MC techno" or something like that... what ever it is but it isn't rap... So I still don't like rap.
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by GODJonez
    You suck!

Thanks

I only read about 10 posts down. The fact that people are grouping either together as one whole is laughable...

Thanks

Even though the poll is closed I'll write my answer, I listen to Rap alot, some rock but 90% of the time rap.

Been listening to rap since I was like 6.
    So I make games now sort of. Check the out the one I have in the IGF this year, its totally free: www.mackvswindows.com

Also add me on things.
    twitter: solidusjoe
    Game networks on my profile.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Solidus Joe
    Even though the poll is closed I'll write my answer, I listen to Rap alot, some rock but 90% of the time rap.

Been listening to rap since I was like 6.
    The first rap tape i ever owned was the Vanilla ice album "To The Extreme" back in 1990 so i guess you could say i was jammin rap since i was (stops to do the math*)5

The end of the world as we know it. Strangely, I feel fine.
    Thanks

Japanese - J-rap
    Brittish - B-rap
    American - C-rap.

As for rock, I like it, but I consider the greatest instrument to be the voice. Screaming is bad, but if you can hold a tune, then you're getting it right. For example, right now I'm listening to Do You Realize by The Flaming Lips. That's good.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sharp
    Japanese - J-rap
    Brittish - B-rap
    American - C-rap.

As for rock, I like it, but I consider the greatest instrument to be the voice. Screaming is bad, but if you can hold a tune, then you're getting it right. For example, right now I'm listening to Do You Realize by The Flaming Lips. That's good.
    You once tried to force me to remove my Avatar when I was a n00b, because it was the same as yours....