Thread: HTML Help

Inside of a Final Fantasy NES cartridge...
    Thanks
    EP Points

Default HTML Help

Actually I know what to do. I'd just like to know if their's a faster/easier way to do the following:

Basically I want to change this text:
    SLUS-01031 : Blaster Master - Blasting Again
    SLUS-01424 : Blaster Master - Blasting Again
    SLPS-03269 : Blaster Master [Value 1500]
    SLES-02273 : Blaster Master 2 - Blasting Again
    SCUS-94412 : Blasto!
    SLES-00845 : Blaze & Blade - Eternal Quest
    SLPS-01209 : Blaze & Blade - Eternal Quest
    SLES-01274 : Blaze & Blade (Deutsch)
    SLPS-01576 : Blaze & Blade Busters
    SLUS-00100 : Blazing Dragons

...into this text:
    SLUS-01031 : Blaster Master - Blasting Again{BR}SLUS-01424 : Blaster Master - Blasting Again{BR}SLPS-03269 : Blaster Master [Value 1500]{BR}SLES-02273 : Blaster Master 2 - Blasting Again{BR}SCUS-94412 : Blasto!{BR}SLES-00845 : Blaze & Blade - Eternal Quest{BR}SLPS-01209 : Blaze & Blade - Eternal Quest{BR}SLES-01274 : Blaze & Blade (Deutsch){BR}SLPS-01576 : Blaze & Blade Busters{BR}SLUS-00100 : Blazing Dragons

because I found a complete master list of every (or just about) PSX game, but the page is dead, and Google won't keep the page in it's cache forever.

But my free web host has a bandwidth limit, so I have to condense the HTML file as small as possible. That plus I want to make the page with the list 56k friendly.

And when I tried to copy-and-paste the text to the WYSIWYG editor, it kept giving me an out of memory error. WYSIWYG editors suck anyway. And I know enough HTML to do it, I just don't want to spend the next 6 hours or so manually inserting that line break code over and over again.

So is there a way to have WordPad or MSWord or some other text editor do this sort of thing automatically? Or is there a way to do it with a batch file?

EDIT--There's no way to turn off the "HTML code is on" so when you type a bracket "<" followed by BR then another ">", the message board doesn't display the text, interpreting it as a line break instead. So I had to go back and substitute that with {BR}
    Last edited by SegNin; 17th-May-2005 at 23:19.

Thanks

Default Text Editors or Hex Editors

Hi Segnin,

so you have a long .txt file, with lots of lines of text and you want to replace the line breaks with {br /}s? ({} instead of <> cause of automatic parsing on this site, but remember that you need to end your tag with a space then a forward slash, to be XHTML 1.? compliant (or is it HTML 4.? compliant?)

The best way is to get a hex editor, find out what text coding the text is using, then finding the code for break line, and replacing it with whatever you want.

An easier way is finding a good text editor, that lets you use the "Replace" option with a breakline. One freeware one i use is called Programmers File Editor (PFE) and theres links for download at this page:

http://www.lancs.ac.uk/people/cpaap/pfe/

The breakline character is represented by \n, so put that in your search/replace box.

Hex is better, cause if one day you want to search for other things, you may be limited with a normal text editor, whereas with a hex editor you can look through just about anything. However, i cant recommend you a good one, as i dont use one myself.

Inside of a Final Fantasy NES cartridge...
    Thanks
    EP Points

Thank you aldebaran.
    PFE is exactly what I needed.
    Some good rep to you