Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Will Xenosaga ever be as great as Xenogears?

AlphaKhaosifix Guest

Default Will Xenosaga ever be as great as Xenogears?

Hello,

I was watching G4TV(god knows why) and they had this show called "Filter", where they have a top ten video game countdown depending on the topic. For best soundtrack, Xenogears wasn't on there so I though, "okay maybe the kids voting have never played Xenogears before". Then the following week they had another countdown, best story in a video game, and I thought, "oh my god. Xenogears or Xenosaga atleast has to be on the countdown." And to my surprise neither were on there. There were a great deal of popular games on the countdown that didn't deserve to even be on the countdown. Titles such as the original Final Fantasy(did that game even had a story?). On that countdown, FF7 Zelda : OoT occupied the top and second spots respectively.

The following week they had another countdown, "best RPG". It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Xenogears should atleast occupy one of the top five spots. But the kids/games(casual I suppose) are the ones voting so I didn't expect Xenosaga or Xenogears to even be mentioned. I expect a final fantasy game to take the top spot even though I think it doesn't really deserve it. And to my surprise Xenosaga was number 8(if a bunch of dumb gamers are voting then this would surprise you aswell). It was labelled, "Xenosaga series", so I'd imagine they included Xenogears on there.

My concern is that there are a great number of people who are now familiarizing themselves with Xenosaga and they might think it's the best Monolithe could deliver. Of course that is not true because with financial backing from SquareSoft(before the monolithe company was establish) that same team was able to produce the greatest RPG in the history of video games(IMO), Xenogears. I visited wikipedia and as I read their entry on Xenogears I got an eery feeling all over my body as if I had goosebumps. The game its just godlike, its powerful, it has inspired me to become a game developer.

Anyways my question is that since that same team has their own company now how come after two games they're not able to produce a powerful game like Xenogears?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaKhaosifix
    Hello,

I was watching G4TV(god knows why) and they had this show called "Filter", where they have a top ten video game countdown depending on the topic. For best soundtrack, Xenogears wasn't on there so I though, "okay maybe the kids voting have never played Xenogears before". Then the following week they had another countdown, best story in a video game, and I thought, "oh my god. Xenogears or Xenosaga atleast has to be on the countdown." And to my surprise neither were on there. There were a great deal of popular games on the countdown that didn't deserve to even be on the countdown. Titles such as the original Final Fantasy(did that game even had a story?). On that countdown, FF7 Zelda : OoT occupied the top and second spots respectively.

The following week they had another countdown, "best RPG". It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Xenogears should atleast occupy one of the top five spots. But the kids/games(casual I suppose) are the ones voting so I didn't expect Xenosaga or Xenogears to even be mentioned. I expect a final fantasy game to take the top spot even though I think it doesn't really deserve it. And to my surprise Xenosaga was number 8(if a bunch of dumb gamers are voting then this would surprise you aswell). It was labelled, "Xenosaga series", so I'd imagine they included Xenogears on there.

My concern is that there are a great number of people who are now familiarizing themselves with Xenosaga and they might think it's the best Monolithe could deliver. Of course that is not true because with financial backing from SquareSoft(before the monolithe company was establish) that same team was able to produce the greatest RPG in the history of video games(IMO), Xenogears. I visited wikipedia and as I read their entry on Xenogears I got an eery feeling all over my body as if I had goosebumps. The game its just godlike, its powerful, it has inspired me to become a game developer.

Anyways my question is that since that same team has their own company now how come after two games they're not able to produce a powerful game like Xenogears?

Well I wouldn't say the best rpg ever, that is just opinion. You must understand that Filter is a show based on Opinion. When it comes to video games there really is no fact or fiction. But as always you have the right to hold your own opinion .

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

That's a loaded question. What makes a game great is highly subjective. With that in mind, it's hard to answer your question AlphaKhaosifix.

Though if you consider the high regard that you hold Xenogears in, it would seem to me that very little would be able to live up to the lofty standards you hold that game to.

Thanks

Xenogears is a beast of a game, I give you that, but it didn't it captivate me as the Saga did. I think I reached the part where Fei was imprisoned and lost interest from there. Partly because I knew what was going to happen, and partly because I was emulating it. The only thing that sets the two apart is the battle system, which is actually fun in Gears rather than the plague in Saga. They're pretty much equal in every other area, no? I've no idea why you wouldn't enjoy it just as much as you enjoyed Gears if not more.

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

No way in hell that Xenosaga is equel to Xenogears in every other area. I've seen most of Xenosaga and the story just isn't as intresting as Xenogears. 'nuff said.

Xenogears is special. It's a once in a life time experience. I could never have asked for a better game. Xenogears, I love thee.

Thanks

Keep in mind: Saga's story is episodic, you are merely comparing two chapters to a whole book.

crusher is offline ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A START
    Thanks
    EP Points

Pfft. Xenogears is episode V, as you probably know. Are you telling me that a single episode beats, so far two, episodes of another book?

Thanks

Still, Gears was developed as a single game. The story was laid and the game developed. Saga on the other hand is being written as we progress. You can't compare an unfinished product to a whole one.

Also, on that subject, I have high doubts they're progressing as planned. The Eldridge crash should've occured already if they aim to make it to Gears by Episode V. The first three episodes were focused on Shion and the crew, and it isn't confirmed if the story arc will end by IV, but assuming it does, Monolith are gonna have to fill the 10000 year gap between Gears and Saga in one episode. I'm really skeptical if they can pull it off with only one episode.

AlphaKhaosifix Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Megalith
    Xenogears is a beast of a game, I give you that, but it didn't it captivate me as the Saga did. I think I reached the part where Fei was imprisoned and lost interest from there. Partly because I knew what was going to happen, and partly because I was emulating it. The only thing that sets the two apart is the battle system, which is actually fun in Gears rather than the plague in Saga. They're pretty much equal in every other area, no? I've no idea why you wouldn't enjoy it just as much as you enjoyed Gears if not more.
    What the.....? Listen man, you have to keep playing the game. Xenogears isn't the type of game where you can predict what happens next. This isn't Final Fantasy 7. Some of the things that happen in Xenogears are completely unpredictable so you have to keep playing. You might have an idea of what happens next(I seriously doubt that) but keep on playing man, seriously.

Also the Xenogears and Xenosaga universe aren't the same. Xenogears didn't have Gnosis. I also believe that if the Monolith team stayed on Square-Enix they could have possibly made a Xenogears 2(or episode six) but they left and started all over again from the beginning.

It should also be noted that KOS-MOS and chaos appear on all six episodes. Where were they in Xenogears?

Thanks

What the.....? Listen man, you have to keep playing the game. Xenogears isn't the type of game where you can predict what happens next. This isn't Final Fantasy 7. Some of the things that happen in Xenogears are completely unpredictable so you have to keep playing. You might have an idea of what happens next(I seriously doubt that) but keep on playing man, seriously.

Also the Xenogears and Xenosaga universe aren't the same. Xenogears didn't have Gnosis. I also believe that if the Monolith team stayed on Square-Enix they could have possibly made a Xenogears 2(or episode six) but they left and started all over again from the beginning.

It should also be noted that KOS-MOS and chaos appear on all six episodes. Where were they in Xenogears?
    I never could predict what was going to happen on FF7, One second you're blowing up reactors trying to stop Shinra the next you are fighting Weapons and trying to save the world. Intresting that you say it's predictable. Ahh well just my opinion on the matter.

AlphaKhaosifix Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dserge
    I never could predict what was going to happen on FF7, One second you're blowing up reactors trying to stop Shinra the next you are fighting Weapons and trying to save the world. Intresting that you say it's predictable. Ahh well just my opinion on the matter.
    When Sephiroth murdered the C.E.O. of Shinra I kind of expected he did that out of greed, perhaps he was after something and Shinra was in his way.

Thanks

When Sephiroth murdered the C.E.O. of Shinra I kind of expected he did that out of greed, perhaps he was after something and Shinra was in his way.
    Hey hey keep the spoilers down. I disagree with your theory as you can see. Nuff' said. I can't argue my point over yours when you have so much personal value for Xenogears. Get my drift? This thread is a clash of opinions. But what the hay. I'll have to play Xenogears sometime soon .

Thanks

Lol, you'll hate me, but on my list of top RPGs?

Xenogears and Saga don't even make the cut of the top 20. No, I'm not a kid. I've been playing RPGs since before half the people around the 'net were born, lol.

I mean, telling you this is like, akin to blaspheming your religious beliefs, as I see you hold the game in very high standard.

But long story short, just because one or two people desperately love a game, doesn't make their opinions more important, or more valid, than anyone else's.

Thanks

Meh, I still don't see what's so good with them Xenogames....

If I'd want to play a game with hours of just listening to the story I'd go with Valkyrie Profile...again

I don't know you, you're not my friend.

I'm full of good ideas..

AlphaKhaosifix Guest

Quote Originally Posted by St. Elmdor
    Meh, I still don't see what's so good with them Xenogames....

If I'd want to play a game with hours of just listening to the story I'd go with Valkyrie Profile...again
    I take it you're a Final Fantasy fan?