Thread: Can't burn PS2 ISOs at lowest speed possible; will this be a problem?

Thanks

Default Can't burn PS2 ISOs at lowest speed possible; will this be a problem?

So I recently got back into the habit of downloading and copying PS2 games again, even though I myself still don't have one yet and still use my cousin's modded one. That's no big deal, since I do plan to get one soon (the slim PSTwo that is)

My problem is that I've been DVD Decrypter to create ISOs and burn them in that program only at 1x/2x (using a FUJIFILM DVD-R 8X as my media to write it on). The thing is, it won't let me for some reason. It either: freezes or gives me the BSOD. Ok, so then I try Alcohol 120%. Alas, it doesn't allow me to burn any DVD any less than 4X. Fine, I do just that with ACE COMBAT 4. The game loads up just fine on my cousin's PS2, and we even play a versus game against each other. But when trying to play the single player mission mode, the game freezes. Just great.

Now, I don't really mind if I can't burn the ISOs at any lower speed than 4X, but what does that mean for me? Can I still play my burnt games on my slim PSTwo? Do these new fangled models have a better disc reader than the older models?

Any help would be apprechiated, thanks.

Thanks
    EP Points

The only way to be sure would be to test it once you get your PS2.
    I don't think it will be a problem.

And your freezing problem might only be caused by a bad iso.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Right. I was going to say the same thing. I burn all my ISO's at 4x, and I've yet to turn out a bad burn. Well, actually I have, but that's due to the ISO being bad, just like Polo said.

Thanks
    EP Points

First many DVD burners and CD burners alike can't burn slower then 4x anymore. I don't know why, but that is the way it is. I truly bet it is your media. It seems that even moreso on DVDs that the type of blank DVD you use plays a big part. Try to use some different kinds of DVDs.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

That's true. I've heard that FujiFilm DVD's are far from being the ideal media to use on your PS2, though not having any first hand experience with them, I can't be sure.

I've been using Ridata DVD-R's since nearly the beggining, and not only does my PS2 work wonderfully even still, I've only turned out a couple of bad burns. And as I said, those were the work of nuked ISO's, rather then the media.

Thanks

Well, I just tried two more games at 4X using the same media, one being Onimusha: Warlords and the other Castlevania: Lament of Innocence. Both of them work fine as far as I can tell, so I guess its not a big as issue as I made it seem. It's just that most tutorials I've read advise speeds lower than 2X, and you will run into problems soon or later. But hey, as long as I have a backup of it (I can always redecrypt and burn it on another more trusty brand like Cyberxion suggested), it's the least of my problems at this point.

Thanks a lot fellas, feel free to lock this topic. I'm pretty much done here.

Thanks

i burn all my ps2 games at 4.5x on memorex and no problems at all

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Cewvan
    It's just that most tutorials I've read advise speeds lower than 2X, and you will run into problems soon or later.
    It's because older PS2 models have weak lasers, and forcing them to re-focus alot is hard for them. They give alot of disc read errors if you don't burn the games properly.
    But now that time is gone, you have a brand new slim ps2 in your hands.

BTW, re-making another iso out of your scratched/used copy will NOT help at all. What's damaged is damaged, no matter what you do. (Except maybe using one of those disc doctor things)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by polobunny
    your scratched/used copy will NOT help at all. What's damaged is damaged, no matter what you do. (Except maybe using one of those disc doctor things)
    But using a non-scratched disc prevents the console from trying to read the damaged sector again and again. And if no data has yet been lost, but the disc is badly scratched, it has a high possibility to lose data very soon.
    Have you seen me before?