Thread: Help with Sega Saturn ISOs, plz

Thanks

Default Help with Sega Saturn ISOs, plz

Hi,

I'm using Cassini emulator and I got the Shining Force 3's ,Dragon Force to work on the emulator (DF gets the black screen though).

Anyways I recently obtained :

Dark Savior (iso+mp3+cue)
    Blazing Heroes(iso+mp3)

When I extracted Blazing Heroes for example I got:

cue.cue (1KB)
    Track01.ISO (148MB)
    Track02 to Track07 winamp media files (different sizes)

I opened Cassini and ran CUE/BIN and selected the Cue file and got this error message: Wrong Cue File Format 2

Got the same message for Dark Savior.

Anyone know how to find out how to use these ISO's? Do I have to burn them first then make a new ISO ?(kinda makes no sense since they are already ISO's) And what about the mp3's files?

Any help plz, thanks!

Alus

Thanks
    EP Points

Okay, you get the error message because in the cue sheet, the audio tracks are listed as "mp3" format, and honestly I don't know why people make cue sheets for Saturn games like that. The tracks are supposed to be "wav" format, as Cassini and Giri Giri can't read the mp3's. So what you need to do is convert the mp3's to wav format with a tool like "winLAME". You can find this freeware utility here: http://winlame.sourceforge.net/download.php

Quick winLAME tutorial

1. Start winLAME, then click on the folder icon in the upper left and browse to where your mp3's are and select all of them, then click "Open".

2. Click "Next" on the bottom right.

3. Where it says "Output Module" select "Wave Output" and also select your "Output Location". Click "Next".

4. Click "Next" again as this screen is not necessary.

5. Finally, you should be at the "Encoding" screen. Where it says "Encode Control" click the play button and the encoding process will begin. Make sure you're not doing like 10,000 things with your PC at the same time this is going on. Wait until all the tracks are at 100% and you're done encoding.

Once you have converted the tracks to wav's, open the cue sheet with Notepad, and edit the lines with the audio track info to look something like this:

FILE "Dark Savior.iso" BINARY
    TRACK 01 MODE1/2048
    INDEX 01 00:00:00
    POSTGAP 00:02:00
    FILE "Dark Savior 02.wav" WAVE
    TRACK 02 AUDIO
    PREGAP 00:02:00
    FILE "Dark Savior 03.wav" WAVE
    TRACK 03 AUDIO
    FILE "Dark Savior 04.wav" WAVE
    TRACK 04 AUDIO

All the wav's should have the same name as the disc image, like the example above. Make sure every track is in that cue sheet, then save it. After that it should work.
    Last edited by AKUMA™; 7th-April-2005 at 06:23.

Inside of a Final Fantasy NES cartridge...
    Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Akuma
    ... I don't know why people make cue sheets for Saturn games like that.
    People do the same thing sometimes with NEOGEO CD and PC Engine CD ISO's. I've had to fix cue sheets for those games from time to time.

Alusnova, make sure that after you convert the files to wav, the name of each file corresponds with the names written in the cue sheet exactly (although I don't believe they are case-sensitive).

So, if the file is named
    Dark Savior 02.wav

then make sure in the cue sheet it says
    "Dark Savior 02.wav"
    and not
    "DarkSavior02.wav"
    or
    "Dark_Savior_02.wav"
    or
    "Dark Savior 2.wav"
    or
    "Dark Savior 02 .wav"
    or
    "Dark Savior 02.wav "
    or
    anything else other than "Dark Savior 02.wav"
    Last edited by SegNin; 7th-April-2005 at 06:28.

Thanks

Tried what you said, still same error message.

Here is what I did to the Cue sheet: (Game Dark Savior)

FILE "SGI-DKSR.iso" BINARY
    TRACK 01 MODE1/2048
    FILE "SGI-DKSR 02.wav" WAVE
    TRACK 02 AUDIO

I checked the audio file went from a 23mb mp3 file to a 612 wav file , so I did that correct I think...still says "Wrong Cue File Format 2"

Can I play this w/o the audio sound? and also does it matter if the image is CCD,NRg,BIN,ISO,etc?

sigh =(.

Thanks
    EP Points

Okay instead of running the cue sheet from Cassini, try to mount the image to a virtual drive with Daemon Tools or Alcohol 120% and make Cassini run the game like its an actual CD.

Thanks
    EP Points

I think I found the answer here:
    http://www.emuasylum.com/forums/show...990#post320990

Quote:
    To get your iso's running in cassini go to the 'Emu Tools' dialog , press 'ISO+WAVE -> CUE+BIN' and select your iso. This will now convert your iso to bin and generate a new cue which can be used for the emulation.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SegNin
    I think I found the answer here:
    http://www.emuasylum.com/forums/show...990#post320990

Quote:
    To get your iso's running in cassini go to the 'Emu Tools' dialog , press 'ISO+WAVE -> CUE+BIN' and select your iso. This will now convert your iso to bin and generate a new cue which can be used for the emulation.
    Does that link really work? All I get is a black page with a missing pic and it says Area Forbidden. Anyway, I am not sure that tool even works right, it might corrupt the disc image, and it also states on the tools info tab that "Mounted images are best". Cassini has a "Run CD" option so that should work for the mounted image. All you have to do is run Daemon, select the cue sheet, and it will mount the image, then make sure to configure Cassini so it reads from the virtual drive that Daemon uses (if you only have one CD drive then the letter would probably be E: ). If you want to convert the ISO to a BIN+CUE, your best bet would be to use CDRWin. You could also try burning the ISO to a CD, and then just run it using the "Run CD" option also.
    Last edited by AKUMA™; 7th-April-2005 at 08:24.

Thanks

Did that and converted the ISO to BIN, now I get "Wrong Cue File 1 format" error message (Before I was getting "Wrong Cue File 2 Format)

I did checked the cue file and this is what it says now:

FILE "SGI-DKSR.bin" BINARY
    TRACK 01 MODE1/2352
    FILE "SGI-DKSR_02.wav" WAVE
    TRACK 02 AUDIO

Everything seemed to match the file names, the audio file is wave.... so I dunno what I'm doing wrong.

Also mounted the image to Daemon Drive and when I run the emulator it takes me to the Saturn menu(I guess where you can listen to music cd's and such) but it's all in japanese and all I can understand is that it says it has 2 tracks on top.

Sigh and last 3 games I got all have the same mp3+bin+cue files, what a waste of time if I can't get them to work at all.

Alus

Thanks
    EP Points

Is Dark Savior a Japanese game? If not, then you are using the wrong BIOS for Cassini. Give me a bit to look into this further, as my ISP went down nationally and it is being really dodgy right now, making it hard to look up stuff.

EDIT- Okay, instead of trying to mount the game as a BIN, try to mount it as a ISO, what I mean is, if you still have the original file in ISO format, use it, just edit the cue sheet so it says FILE "SGI-DKSR.iso" BINARY on the first line and TRACK 01 MODE1/2048 on the second line, and leave the rest the way you had it in your post. If you don't have the original file in ISO format then you will need to convert it back, although I do not know what will beome of the file's integrity as converting images to different formats can sometimes corrupt it, and the Cassini tool might have already damaged it, we won't know for sure until you can get the game running, so don't panic just yet. If it still doesn't work, try a different game, preferably one that has multiple audio tracks, and edit the cue sheet/convert the mp3s to wavs like I posted near the beginning of this thread. See if that works, if it does then maybe I might have an idea to get Dark Savior to work.
    Last edited by AKUMA™; 8th-April-2005 at 05:11.

Thanks
    EP Points

Does that link really work? All I get is a black page with a missing pic and it says Area Forbidden.
    Yes, the link works, at least for me it does anyway. Not sure why you're forbidden.
    Anyway, I found another link that gives a more thorough explanation of what to do:
    http://panzerdragoon.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1067

Here's the info that was posted (NOTE - this was given as a solution for getting Panzer Dragoon Saga to work):
    Ah, it worked! Sorry for the delayed response, just been busy.

Basically all you need is:

1.) The burned disc.
    2.) The ISO in which you used to burn the disc.

Okay, if you have those, open the Cassini Emulator and go to "Emu Tools"; from there, use the "CUE/BIN" options, they should say something like "ISO+WAVE -> CUE+ISO (####)" (NOTE: The (####) may have numbers in it, if it does, that's fine.

Just click on those options and you should see that you are required to find the ISO for the game you want to play.

I haven't found out what the first option does, but I DO KNOW that it's required to do if you want to play the game. The second option creates a specific CUE file type in which the emulator can play derived off of the ISO that you supplied.

After you do that, go to "General" and pick the drive in which your burned CD is in. Then go to "RUN CUE/BIN" and open the CUE file that Cassini made for you.

After you do that, the game SHOULD play, if it doesn't. Tweak around with the region settings. Also, if it's a Japanese game, you will need to rename your Japanese BIOS to EURO.BIN and move it to the folder in which you installed Cassini. (You can move your current BIOS someplace else if you like).
    Hmm...odd how you must have both the ISO and the burned disk? Maybe you can mount the image to a virtual drive with Daemon Tools, as a substitute for the burned disk, if you didn't/don't want to burn it.
    Last edited by SegNin; 8th-April-2005 at 05:14.

Thanks
    EP Points

Holy crap!!! Call me stupid...I just remembered, Cassini comes with a guide on how to convert the ISOs! Go into this folder:

C:\Program Files\Sega Saturn\Help

You should see a file called "Isobinconvert", click it and read it. There is also a file called "compatability" in this folder too, and according to the list Dark Savior (US version) crashes after you start a new game. I don't know if this is true for any other version of this game since I did not see them on the list, unless the game has a different name in Europe and Japan. Also, you might want to click on "saturnsegacdripiso" and read that one too. Oh, one other thing, in the Sega Saturn directory there should also be a Tools folder, in there you'll find a mp3 to wav converter. Sorry I made you run around and get winLAME, but I totally forgot Cassini comes with this.
    Last edited by AKUMA™; 8th-April-2005 at 05:47.

Thanks

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

I hate Saturn Emulation!

Ok update.... I got Dark Savior to work, I dunno how, after trying basically everything I got it to work.

Problem is I tried using same steps for the other 2 games and of course they don't work, I get the same error messages Wrong Cue File 1 and 2 Formats.

Other 2 games are Shining in the Holy Ark and Blazing Heroes both US. They both have ISO+CUE+mp3 . Same as Dark Savoir.

Alus

Thanks
    EP Points

I got a copy of Cassini from Zophar's and when I installed it, McAfee found and removed what it claimed was a Generic Trojan...what the hell...

Well, as long as you got it working...
    Personally, I can't wait for Satourne or Saturnin to be further developed.
    Last edited by SegNin; 8th-April-2005 at 07:09.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by SegNin
    I got a copy of Cassini from Zophar's and when I installed it, McAfee found and removed what it claimed was a Generic Trojan...what the hell...
    I have also gotten Cassini from Zophar, but Norton Antivirus says it's okay, so your McAfee is just being silly. I got a PM from Alus and I am waiting for a reply on exactly what it was he did, because this whole thing has me puzzled. I have Panzer Dragoon Saga in ISO+WAV format, and I always mount it with Daemon or Alcohol, then click Run CD in Cassini, and it works, and the cue sheet is set up just like in my previous post. One time, I tried to convert it to a BIN format using Isobuster, and it corrupted it. When the title screen came up, the music was all messed up, like a really high-pitched screeching sound or something, good thing I kept a copy of the original file
    Last edited by AKUMA™; 8th-April-2005 at 07:18.

Thanks
    EP Points

I have also gotten Cassini from Zophar, but Norton Antivirus says it's okay, so your McAfee is just being silly.
    I suspected as much, so I didn't delete the emulator, but thanks for confirming what I suspected Akuma.
    I'd like to know myself how Alusnova got it working. I admit I don't have any experience with Saturn emulation, but I've been searching the net for info, because I'd like to get into it. But maybe I should wait until more progress has been made in the development of these emu's. Or at least wait until I get a new comp-this one is only P III, 600 MHz, 128 MB.