Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it my desktop being screw up?

This place is even stinker than the dog's shit
    Thanks

Default Is it my desktop being screw up?

Its like I've tried to dl something to my desktop and after that I minimize the browser and take a look at the desktop there are 2 icon of the file that I've just dl it.
    Anyone gets it?? I think there is 2 desktop folder in my comp.. yeah something like that. How am I suppose to set it to the old desktop instead of using the 'extra' desktop folder?? I can't simply go to the C drive and just delete that because it said it is a system folder
    "Overconfidence will be your destruction... remember that!" -Nel

Currently Believed to be in the Grand Bahamas
    Thanks

um...what are the 2 files? do they have the exact same name? And how are you dling something to the desktop? do you choose it in save as, or are you click and dragging it from somewhere?

<font style="filter:glow(color=#ff0000, strength=3);height=1px">
    If the enemy is in sight, so are you.</font>

Thanks

There is All Users desktop and your personal desktop. If you have a file in both of them, they both are displayed on your desktop.

If you are using Win2000 or XP, then the desktops are located in C&#x3a;\Documents and Settings\ and there are folders called All users, Default user and folders for every user account on the computer.

If the OS is Win95, 98 or ME, then those folders are located in C&#x3a;\Windows\Profiles\
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks

To sniper- I dl same file and I choose save as and save it in desktop, so it suppose to be 1 file with 1 icon... but for me it appear 2 file with same name with means they are in different folder but they both appear in the desktop.

To Godjonez- Yes, I'm using window Xp. But the new 'extra' folder I've mention is locate in the C:/Desktop, which means if you open the C drive you can see that 'Desktop' folder there.
    And yeah, the other 'older' desktop folder is just like what you've stated there... so how am I going to change it back to the old desktop??

Thanks

Umh, desktop at the root? That sure is odd. Can you figure which one it is, your personal or All users desktop? That'd help me giving instructions on how to change it back.
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks

Err... yes the 'extra' Desktop is at the root. My old desktop suppose to be
    C: \Documents and Settings\ and inside theres other 4 folders like All users, Default user, Administrator and the 'XXX' which I used it all the time.

Thanks

Isn't it that when it downloads, it has the .exe or whatever file, and then creates a .part file? I've experienced this, especially with BT. That .part file will dissapear when the download is finished.

I think that's what you're experiencing, Nell.

C:/Desktop?? I have XP, and I don't have that folder in C:/. It can't be the desktop...

Thanks

No, no crono. Its not a BT file such as .part file like you've said. It is same file of it and the icons are both the same.

And for the folder 'Desktop' in C: /, there is a shortcut icon of a game that I've just installed which now even I look at my desktop there are 2 same shortcut of it...

Thanks

are the two files the same name? size? extension? then how can they both be on the desktop if they have the exact same name?

Thanks

Just like I've stated above... there are 2 Desktop which is 'extra' Desktop in C: / and another 'old' Desktop in C:\Documents and Settings\XXX\Desktop...

I know its weird but it was like when I choose to dl something and I choose to 'save as' to the Desktop... and now you see that my Desktop having 2 same icon of the file... thats the problem...

yes... same sizes, extension or whatever..

Thanks

Would deleting the 'extra' desktop in c:/ help? That's the only solution I can think of...

Thanks

Actually I've tried that... But it said this folder is a window system folder which required windows to run properly, cannot be deleted..

So I'm hoping I can change the path of the desktop's folder so that I can have a proper desktop... Actually now my desktop doesn't look like my previous desktop, as if I login in with other new user of it(no wallpaper at all but with Blue background with few icon like my comp, recycle bin, my document, etc...) These happened after I was trying to get rip of the virus/spyware problems...

Thanks

That's the All users desktop and Windows won't let delete it. You need to change the path to that folder in registry.

When you are as Administrator (or a user with admin rights), open regedit (Start-Run->regedit), and navigate to this key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

There you can alter the paths for All users folders. All the paths should start with C&#x3a;\Documents and Settings\All users\

If not, then change them by double clicking the names and typing the correct path.

EDIT: Do you see a space in that CurrentVersion? I see, but there isn't in edit box. Weird?
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks

I saw my common desktop is 'C: /Desktop'....
    After I've type the exact desktop path, should I just close the registry right away?
    Quote Originally Posted by GODJonez
    EDIT: Do you see a space in that CurrentVersion? I see, but there isn't in edit box. Weird?
    Huh?? I didn't see any space..

Thanks

Yeah, the change is saved immediately. But you might need to restart Windows to ensure that the c&#x3a;\Desktop folder is left alone and you can delete it.

And that "space" thingy is there as attachment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Have you seen me before?