Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ethics of getting old isos

Thanks

Default Ethics of getting old isos

As we know, you can get pretty much any iso for the older consoles, and even some of the new ones. Although it's pretty clear that just downloding new games to avoid buying them is not ethical (though I don't really care if anyone does it), old games that you can't buy are another story.

Just to make it short, don't you think it's stupid when people tell you to just buy the game when it's not been at the store in several years? You tell them you can't find it, then they bring up ebay.

I will never buy a game disc on ebay, never ever. I was always cautious about that, and I'm glad I was. Because a friend of mine bought one once, and I am certain it was not a retail disc, but someone's copy (not from a cdr; pressed and printed). And yes, I am aware that doesn't mean that's all you get on ebay, just that there's a chance; and most people I doubt notice it or even care. But don't you think this is worse than just pirating in itself? Actually having some random entity making money out of someone else's work? I myself think it's ridiculous, and I won't do it out of the principle of the thing. "Go buy it on Ebay", they say; Uh, no. Or do yo think yes?

Thanks
    EP Points

Well if you CAN get it for free why would you want to pay for it?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

You know what I think? I think this is the wrong place to be posing questions on the ethics of downloading anything illegally, no matter how old it is.

Also, we've discussed the ethics of all of this several times already, and I believe the popular sentiment was "I know I'm doing something wrong. Who cares?".

Thanks

The cyber is right on.

And downloading old games is just as illegal even though people care even less about them.

I don't know you, you're not my friend.

I'm full of good ideas..

Uncle Evil Guest

I have a question thats partialy off topic. If you were to buy a pirated game off ebay without realizing it, can you still get in trouble?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mephistopheles
    Also, we've discussed the ethics of all of this several times already, and I believe the popular sentiment was "I know I'm doing something wrong. Who cares?".
    I seem to remember making decent points about why it shouldn't be illegal as well.
    ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º° ¨¨°º¤ø„¸ EDWARD CULLEN IS THE KING OF VAMPYRES! HE IS BETTER THAN BILL COMPTON, LESTAT DE LIONCOURT, VLAD THE IMPALER, & DICK CHENEY ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°� �¤ø„¸

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Evil
    I have a question thats partialy off topic. If you were to buy a pirated game off ebay without realizing it, can you still get in trouble?
    Follow up question: If you buy a pirated game off ebay, can you get in trouble?

I don't know you, you're not my friend.

I'm full of good ideas..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by St. Elmdor
    Follow up question: If you buy a pirated game off ebay, can you get in trouble?
    Yes. It just depends on who tells who. If the person is selling it just so they can get someone into trouble you can believe that you will get caught. And, that idiot will most likely get in trouble for it as well.

Thanks

I wonder what someone who actually thinks it's wrong to download a game would say about this. About weather it's worse or doesn't matter if you're paying some random person for a disc that might suck and have errors, or just paying nothing for a download.

Because I can say the places where they generally think it's wrong don't have the intrest or gall to say anything. And besides all that, wouldn't people be ticked at being deceived thinking it was a real original? Or would they not care, because I might be weird since that would bother me. And besides all that, the whole idea that it would be wrong and stealing from the company. Are they really just naive in suggesting things like ebay? Or what?
    Last edited by Creature; 28th-March-2005 at 12:29.

Thanks
    EP Points

If you can ONLY find an old game on eBay or in a second hand store then you may as well just download it (unless you desperately want a 'real' copy, of course). The game's creators won't get any further royalites from the sale of a used game so it makes no difference in my eyes.

Mikey_ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher
    Well if you CAN get it for free why would you want to pay for it?
    that pretty much sums it all up

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by m79
    and with that I am severly pondering closing this thread. I'll be gone for about an hour and if anyone is like-minded, I will

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by m79
    Not really some people such as me... like getting cases, and instruction booklets... things you don't get if you download games.

Thanks

I'm not closing it.
    ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º° ¨¨°º¤ø„¸ EDWARD CULLEN IS THE KING OF VAMPYRES! HE IS BETTER THAN BILL COMPTON, LESTAT DE LIONCOURT, VLAD THE IMPALER, & DICK CHENEY ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°� �¤ø„¸

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by The Epitome of Pain
    and with that I am severly pondering closing this thread. I'll be gone for about an hour and if anyone is like-minded, I will
    I thought you closed it up already but you just posted you consider doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GundamGuy
    Not really some people such as me... like getting cases, and instruction booklets... things you don't get if you download games.
    Download game cover images and instructions and print them yourself But I appreciate that some people buy the games even when they could just download it. But not everyone has the money...
    Have you seen me before?