Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burning Games for Saturn

Thanks

Default Burning Games for Saturn

I've heard that there are supposedly ways to play burned games on the Saturn without the need for a modchip, but I've never been able to get a direct answer as to what those ways are. If possible, could someone explain how to use those methods? Also, I've heard on of the methods involve using a Pro Action Replay. I don't know what the method is, but I don't have a Pro Action Reply. I DO, however, have a Madness Replay Pro (a white cartridge that enables me to play import games on the system, store saved games as a memory card, AND be used to input codes like Pro Action Reply) Would I be able to use this "Pro Action Reply" method to play burnt games with this Madness Replay Pro?

Thanks

I am pretty sure that you can only use Pro Action Replays (or similar devices) to play imports, burned 'backups' are a no-go. However, the swap trick works great on (some?) saturns.. heres a guide..

http://dw.com.com/redir?asid=916393&...swap_trick.txt

Thanks

Hm.. unfortunately, the link doesn't seem to work. But still, thank you anyway

Thanks
    EP Points

You need to have an original Saturn game. After you open the system and tape the lid button closed, you put in the original, and start it up. Listen for the laser to move all the way to the outside of the disc, and it will read the region coding and whatnot. Then the laser will make its way to the very inside track of the CD. While the laser is travelling, you have to swap the burned disc in. You have to be quick, but it really isn't hard at all.

Thanks

It sounds complicated to me. I don't know what "laser" you're talking about. I have a plethora of original Saturn games, so that part's not a problem. So.. I need to hold the ccase open button down, and insert the original disk while the case is open? Then, when I hear a noise, swap it for the burnt disk? After that, do I quickly close the case, or do I leave it open? Or is that what I'm supposed to tape closed? And if that's the case.. how can I get it open again fast enough to do this? x.X;;;

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Guy
    It sounds complicated to me. I don't know what "laser" you're talking about. I have a plethora of original Saturn games, so that part's not a problem. So.. I need to hold the ccase open button down, and insert the original disk while the case is open? Then, when I hear a noise, swap it for the burnt disk? After that, do I quickly close the case, or do I leave it open? Or is that what I'm supposed to tape closed? And if that's the case.. how can I get it open again fast enough to do this? x.X;;;
    You have to flip the system over, take out the screws and open the system There is a tiny button inside that is pressed when the lid is shut. You need to tape this, to make the system think the lid is shut all the time, even though you will have it open all the time. This takes 5 minutes, tops.

The laser is what reads the CD. You can hear it buzzing when it moves around. It will buzz long when it travels to the outside of the CD, and again when it returns to the center.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Check http://www.gamefaqs.com for Saturn swap FAQ's. It should be in the Saturn's General System FAQ section. Those should be enough to get you going should you still need help after reading Sprung's posts.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung
    You have to flip the system over, take out the screws and open the system There is a tiny button inside that is pressed when the lid is shut. You need to tape this, to make the system think the lid is shut all the time, even though you will have it open all the time. This takes 5 minutes, tops.

The laser is what reads the CD. You can hear it buzzing when it moves around. It will buzz long when it travels to the outside of the CD, and again when it returns to the center.

Opening the system up like that won't cause it harm in any way? This is the only Saturn I have, and I don't want it to suddenly become unusable.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If you're careful it shouldn't. I mean, the Saturn isn't as fragile as you'd think, so you'd really have to do something incredibly stupid to screw it up. Just take it easy, and you'll be alright.

Mikey_ Guest

this swap trick, sounds basically the same as the psx swap trick. though its really not even guaranteed to work is it? i mean, on the psx the swap trick never worked. only way i was able to get backed up psx games to boot up was through a gameshark cdx. that same problem could happen with the saturn, no?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

If you couldn't get the PSX swap-trick to work, you weren't doing it right. It was extremely easy. The Saturn swap is a bit tougher, but still totally manageable once you work out the timing.

Mikey_ Guest

i guess i shoulda mentioned this, i did get the psx swap trick to work, however it was in odd fashion. the original disc i tried it out with was final fantasy 7 cd1. when it came time to swap discs, i swapped it for a backed up ff7cd1 which worked. it also worked with ff's 8 and 9. however when i'd use any of the FF discs to try and boot up other discs, any original discs really, the trick wouldn't work at all. odd eh?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

? It should work no matter what original game you use to perform the swap. I've used demo disks, as well as a miriad of other originals. It worked every time. Your case seems odd indeed...

Mikey_ Guest

perhaps its the system itself and not how i did it even though i did get it to work, sorta. ah well.

Thanks

Hm, well, so much for that. I couldn't get the screws out of the bottom of the system -.-;; Thank you for all your help, anyway. Now I wonder what I'm going to do with all these burnt games