Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Music Appreciation Thread

Thanks

Default Music Appreciation Thread

The replacement thread. But different rules. The purpose is to seperate the post whores from the listeners.

1. You may post once a day
    2. You must show your appreciation in depth. A lengthy post including a description of the song or album, why it appeals to you or why it might appeal to someone else, etc. Not just an AMG copy either.
    3. If this is beyond you, then remember you don't have to post here, go to the hangout or something.
    4. Failure to comply will result in you being banned from The Music Zone.

There...

Thanks

Converge - Jane Doe (2001)

Where do I start? Converge had been innovators in the hardcore scene, but not until this release were they the forefront. The CD opens with a two note muted guitar run, before erupting into an insane riff, rich with tritones. Only given a few seconds for the riff to sink in, the grindcore section then starts. Blistering speed and indecipherable, throat burning, high pitched screaming. At this point the album becomes intensity incarnate, and at few points, does it let up. They toy with Slint style Math/post rock on the track Hell To Pay, give us the best orgasm in a song ever in Heaven In Her Arms, and a slow burning epic track, full to the brim with fantstic riffs, in the form of the title track.

Perfect album. 5 stars...
    Last edited by Slim; 6th-March-2005 at 04:36.

Thanks

<b>Angra - Temple of Shadows (2004)</b>

Temple of Shadows. Angra's latest effort and impressive comeback with the rejuvinated lineup. Truly, this is one of power metal's finest offerings since Blind Guardian's Imaginations from the Other Side. Every member of the band displays just why power metal has 'power' in the name, as this album is the definition of how power metal should be done. From start to finish, ToS is not only musically, but lyrically astounding as well. It tells a tale of a crusader looking for the truth of his existence and seeking freedom from the lies bestowed by religion. Not that storylines matter, but it's a nice addition and in this case, it's interesting. ToS also features an outstanding lineup of guest artists. Some of whom are Hansi Kursch (of Blind Guardian) and Kai Hansen (of Helloween/Gamma Ray) who lend their voices (and guitar playing in Kai's case) to Angra on a number of tracks. ToS also has a progressive side to it. They experiment with power, ballads, epics, orchestras and even brazillian music, and the result is outstanding. A mighty fine album and worthy addition to any music library.

Thanks

Firewind - Forged By Fire 2005 - www.firewind.gr

Before I heard this album I'd never even heard of these guys. It's a typical Power Metal-band like for example Angra, Shaaman (earlier Shaman, they recently changed their name) and Angel Dust.

This album is not exactly original. It's a typical "if you've heard one song, you've heard most of the songs", if you understand what I mean. The album opens with the song "Kill To Live", which the opening reminds me alot of an Exodus-song I've heard, don't remember which one though. This song is without a doubt the best on the album, with brilliant vocals and lots of great drumming from mr. Kristoffersen of Pagans Mind. Gus. G also delivers a brilliant solo, as he also did in Dream Evil (and possibly Pure X, I'm not sure). Feast Of The Savages is another great track which Gus and their keyboardist shows that they know what they're doing. Awesome. Alot of wankery on this one. The album closer, Land Of Eternity, is a typical power-metal ballad (why does almost 90% of every power-metal album close with a ballad?). A quite enjoyable one as well.

(Woo, yes I know, very very messy written since it's translated (only a few bits of it though) from my norwegian review. Meh. Oh well, finally my list has finally proved to be quite useful )

Thanks

Arghoslent - Galloping Through the Battle Ruins

Now, this band sure knows how to play death metal. But they aren't your typical death metal band they are very melodic, not the melodic Gothenburg stuff btw. Lots of nice quality riffs in every song of the album. The bass is very audible unlike most metal bands where the bass is very hard to pick up. Each member of the band is talented at what they are doing. Everytime when the guitar solo comes up, you just want to head bang more quicker.
    Last edited by Frozen Sky; 6th-March-2005 at 17:38.

Thanks

Anathallo- "just because you can't see the sun doesn't mean it's not shining"

with Anathallo being perhaps one of the most musically inclined bands i have ever heard, i cannot help but feel good inside when listening to this song. First off, the title: great, great message right there. It has a lot to do with faith, and knowing that even if you can't see Him, He's there. Secondly, there are several things going on at all times, in this song, whether it be the electric piano, drum set, concert bass, field snare, or triangle. crazy stuff. the words are very uplifting and go right with the music. in general, it is a song that turns a frown upside down.

get on your bikes and ride!

Thanks

The members from Arghoslent are pro-Nazists/racists...

Suffocation - Effigy of the Forgotten

It took me a while to get into this band. Suffocation are probably the best known death metal band to rise from New York(Long Island, specifically). They still are one of the heaviest DM bands around, same goes for this album, which dates back to 1991. They pretty much invented the "brutal death metal" genre, in which grindcore-like song compositions, hardcore breakdowns, and blastbeats are used all at once. Lots of fast thrashy tremolo riffs accompanied by thrash drumming and lots and lots of well-spread blastbeats that don't get annoying after a while. The solos are the typical shredding-fests common in primitive death metal, but they're executed with a lot of precision and don't sound sloppy or way off like other bands of their time. The vocals are very thick and nice too, almost sounds like the vocalist has his mouth full of guts or something, a shame that they aren't as understandable as I wished they'd be.

After a while, if you haven't quickly gotten used to their song compositions, you'll be numb by the 3rd song. So unless you've already listened to a lot of DM previously, this isn't for you. But if you want something very complex and just god damned heavy, get this album. Extreme hardcore fans might also take a liking to this band because of the sludgy and crunchy breakdowns that just make you want to bash your head against some cement.

If you like more modern bands like Cryptopsy, Necrophagist, and Decrepit Birth, you must check this album out. This piece of oldschool urban Death metal is something every extreme music fan should be familiar with.

Score: 9.2/10

Songs worth noting:
    -Jesus Wept
    -Effigy of the Forgotten
    -Infecting the Crypts(best studio version out there is on this album)
    -Reincremation

How's that for a review? I cannot do this every day.

Edit: Btw, we can also comment on other people's submissions, right? Just to extend discussion on the bands further, not just have a review on every post, that way we can reccomend other bands that someone might like.
    Last edited by Soeru; 6th-March-2005 at 22:05.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soeru
    Edit: Btw, we can also comment on other people's submissions, right? Just to extend discussion on the bands further, not just have a review on every post, that way we can reccomend other bands that someone might like.
    Yes ofcourse. And I'll edit this post with my album later on today...

The 90 Day Men - Panda Park (2004)

On of my favourites from last year. Essentially they're one of those Slint-esque math/post rock bands, but there's such a wide range of sounds and influences, you don't want to pigeonhole them like that. The vocals are the high point I feel. Different in tone on every track, very expressive. Also very piano driven, making it unique within the genre. Too Late Or Too Dead is my favourite track. Great example of my description, but none of the songs sound the same. For fans of Slint, Shellac, David Bowie, pretty much any band of the last 50 years. If there was going to be an album that broke this genre into the mainstream, this would be it, very accessable, but this doesn't dettract from the quality at all. Fantastic from start to finish.

And Soeru, yeah we can reply to others, just as long as it's worthwile...
    Last edited by Slim; 7th-March-2005 at 15:42.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Slim
    Yes ofcourse. And I'll edit this post with my album later on today...
    I didn't express myself well, I meant to ask that if every post must have a review, or if it can just be a comment on someone elses submission. If every post must bear a review then I'll edit this tommrow.

Thanks

Destruction - Infernal Overkill (1985) - www.destruction.de

Destruction was the band that introduced me to the word "Thrash". Before hearing the song "Thrash 'til Death", I was nothing but a "n00b" who knew nothing about it (Thrash 'til Death is my favourite Destruction-song by the way). Someone may have noticed that I have had Destruction in my list before (Cracked Brain and The Least Succesful Human Cannonball), which I both gave pretty poor scores. These two are from the 90's-Destruction, also called Neo-Destruction, or like some people call it; Crappy Destruction.

Infernal Overkill was Destruction first album. It's fast as hell, it has plenty of great riffs and it even got awesome solos. The vocals and production aren't top notch, but I'll live. The album is just as good as (and it sounds very much like) Sodom (another Eurothrash-album from Germany) and Slayer's Show No Mercy. Just gotta love songs like The Ritual, Tormentor and Thrash Attack. For score (and the next album), check the sig. (If anyone was wondering, the 3 last albums on my list is ALWAYS new albums).

Thanks

Kalmah - They Will Return

Well what can I say this band is not a Children of Bodom clone they are far better. Pekka Kokko's (Kalmah) growls are leagues better than Alexi Laiho (CoB). All the songs on "They Will Return" are top notch. Some incredibly catchy riffs that you can't stop humming the tune off. Now, Antti Kokko the lead guitarist is one of the most underrated guitarist, he can pull of the most spectacular solos ever which will leave you jaw dropping.

Favourite Songs:
    Principle Hero
    The Blind Leader
    They Will Return

Basically the whole album

Thanks

Green Day - Insomniac (1995)

Their most dangerously underrated album, Dookie gets all the praise, but I prefer this album by far. Their most aggressive work to date. I prefer Nimrod and American Idiot, but as I said, I don't fel this one gets the praise it deserves. From open to close, full of awesome hooks, and while the riffs are generally uninspired, it's melody where Green Day shine. They make pop songs, and they're great at it. Highlights...
    Armatage Shanks
    Stuck With Me
    Panic Song
    Jaded
    Walking Contradiction

But mostly Stuck With Me...

Thanks

Melechesh - Djinn (2001) - www.melechesh.com

Before listening to this, I've only heard a few songs from them and my impression was at first that they where "Folkish Black Metal". That's not far from the truth, really. It's Black Metal with an "egyptian"-twist to it. Understand what I mean? Probably not.

The albums starts of with an acoustic middle-east medley. A really nice start. Second, the song "Genies" kicks in with awesome guitarwork, top-notch drumming and basswork, though the vocals could still use some polishing. It reminds me of a "rougher" version of Children of Bodom's vocalist, Alexi Laiho. Everything else on the album is pretty much like this, really, though songs like "Kurnugi's Reign" and "Wardjinn" pushes it's score from 6/10 to 7/10. This band ain't the best Israelic Black Metal-act, bit it certainly is one of them (Azazel for life).

Thanks

The Fiery Furnaces - Gallowsbird's Bark (2003)

Don't groan at the thought of a brother/sister team to come out of New York in the last few years. Often pinned as another one of those garage rock revival bands, one listen reveals the shortcomings of such a description. No genre name could do them justice, as they are sonically chameleons. Pop, Indie, Music Hall, Folk, Blues and everything in between. An incredibly captivating female singing voice, similar to that of Bjork or Amanda Palmer of The Dresden Dolls, but much more satisfying and suited to the band. A guitar tone so talky, it's cheesy, and so cheesy it isn't. Lovely random lyrics like "I swam in an olympic sized pool, I had a picnic with a ventriloquist". The production is so fantastic, it doesn't sound like a debut album at all, it's so polished, and so ambitious, it sounds like they've had years of experience in the studio.
    Highlights

South Is Only A Home
    Inca Rag/Name Game
    Crystal Clear
    Tropical Ice-Land

And I'm going to see them next week!...

Thanks

Aeternus - Shadows Of Old (1998) - www.aeternus-darkermonument.tk

Yay, another Black Metal-release from Norway. Okay, I lied it's not exactly black metal. Black/Death with a touch of melodeath and and even a bit of folk and ambient is thrown in. Yeah.

This release is very different from the one I reviewed a few weeks back (Beyond The Wandering Moon I think it was). Shadows Of Old is not as good as Beyond The Wandering Moon though. The album starts blasting without any intro at all. Typical "machine-gun" drumming, death metal vocals. The first track on the album is the best track. It got fast-paced drumming, though this seems to change throughout the track (you can hear that through the whole album, it's quite varied in tempo). Another song worth mentioning is "The Summoning Of Shadows", which has an acoustic-guitar opening for a few minutes, then blasts of with furious death metal-riffs and drumming. Awesome. The whole album is ended with an ambient-track (including bagpipes?). Yesyes. 6/10

Another messy and badly translated review from the original. More people should be using this thread. One of the better threads in the music-section.