Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for a college interview...

Thanks

Default Tips for a college interview...

I've just been googling for tips for my college interview tommorow. I'm just wondering if anyone could give me any pointers other than how to dress/act, more like questions I may be asked amongst other things. A bunch of questions would be nice.

Thanks

Get your hair cut.
    ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º° ¨¨°º¤ø„¸ EDWARD CULLEN IS THE KING OF VAMPYRES! HE IS BETTER THAN BILL COMPTON, LESTAT DE LIONCOURT, VLAD THE IMPALER, & DICK CHENEY ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°� �¤ø„¸

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Skinner8
    Get your hair cut.
    Kiss my ass, a ponytail will do. I need assistance from someone who has had a college interview before...

Thanks

Ever have a job interview? It's the same deal. Talk about your strong points, but don't be a braggart. Don't try to be witty either, they don't like that. And for the love of god, shower.

I know if the school I wound up wasting 2 years of my life at (DigiPen) had interviews, a lot of the kids would have never made it.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

its basically like a job interview. dress nice (ie, shined shoes, slacks, button-up collared shirt, you dont need a coat, but i fya wanna go all-out) bring reference material (your portfolio, or whatever, copies of your transcripts (if you have them) and other stuff to make you look good on paper) dont be afraid to ask questions, watch your language if youre the type, and be honest in responding to the interviewers questions. i cant give you specific advice for a college interview, but thats basically good tips for any interview
    Quote Originally Posted by Chibi-Suke
    You really aren't kidding about your title... wow.
    There isn't an acronym to describe how badly I want you to not be here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by defiled
    Ever have a job interview? It's the same deal. Talk about your strong points, but don't be a braggart. Don't try to be witty either, they don't like that. And for the love of god, shower.

I know if the school I wound up wasting 2 years of my life at (DigiPen) had interviews, a lot of the kids would have never made it.
    I appreciate the help, yes I have had a few job interviews before and my counselor tells me I've got a knack for interviews and landing a good impression.

I'm just looking for specific questions and what you answered back to the interviewer. I have the feeling I will be asked a question I am unprepared for...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soeru
    I'm just looking for specific questions and what you answered back to the interviewer. I have the feeling I will be asked a question I am unprepared for...
    Just tell the thurth and <b>be yourself</b>. Usually the interviewers are understanding people that can take things with humour. Even if they give an impression that they are not like that.
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by defiled

DUDE! You went to DigiPen...? What's it like...? Is it worth the hefty tuition...? :O!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

DUDE! Read the disclaimer on the box. "Experiences may differ from person to person." If you're interested, get your lazy ass up and look into it.

Thanks

I was just curious, that's all... What with him saying he "wasted" two years of his life...

Oh, and, uh... Indeed...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Dude, take a joke already! I'm kidding witchoo. Totally.

See, I thought it odd that such a school would take people without interviewing them, and would amount to nothing more then a waste of time. It seemed odd, so I thought instead of relying on what he said, you should do some research. It works wonders. Though I should've been less....like, covert about what I meant. Or something.

Thanks

Damn you!! I usually know when you're joking... What's wrong with me today...?

But yeah, uh... Seriously, I have no idea where to look for that kind of info (no, not digipen.edu)... Either he sucked and ended up flunking out, or the courses are complete trash (doubtful)...

/me walks away.

Thanks

Just to warn you all, this post is off topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Castlevania
    DUDE! You went to DigiPen...? What's it like...? Is it worth the hefty tuition...? :O!

There is a lot I can say about DigiPen from my short time here. First of all, the 60% drop out rate is mostly made up of kids who come in expecting to design games, not caring for the coding and technical aspects of games.

If you are serious about a job in the industry, and coding is one of your big time passions in life, then you probably have a standing chance in this school. See, the way they planned it out is they try to cram 6 years of classes into 4. You get insane credit hours (18 your first semester of freshmen year, 6 classes) - it's all to simulate how demanding the game industry is (or how demanding a job at EA is anyway)

To make it out alive, programming has to be your #1 interest. Also, it helps to have time management skills. If you can balance out your work and free time you can still play video games, something that many DigiPen students have stopped doing because of the workload, and how they approached it.

Is DigiPen worth it? From my understanding, if you can handle the workload, you'd get a job, sure. But I don't think it's worth the money. Most of the grads go onto jobs they can get as opposed to jobs at companies they like. Typical grads end up going to cell phone companies looking for coders to work on games. I know a few people who've graduated, and none of them seem to be going anywhere special.

Of course, DigiPen grads have a better chance at getting into a place like Konami than someone coming from a normal university. A lot of the graduates do have a spot at NST (Nintendo Software & Technology), who developed Wave Race Blue Storm and a few other titles. We share a parking lot with those guys. But neither of them are hiring people left and right, so chances are you'll take what you can get.

There is a group of people who have had programming experience prior to DigiPen, mostly transfer students, and some grad students. I've gotten to know these guys, and they say DigiPen is a joke. They learned more at their state school in the same time you would spend at DigiPen. They believe it's not worth the insane workload and frustration they present you. Added with the bit about cell phone companies above, they say that the specialized degree at the school (the RTIS degree) will be worthless in 10 years.

I fall into the group of people who have other passions besides programming. I don't think I could devote my life to it. Sure, we all had dreams of designing our own game, but the sad reality is you're gonna be stuck writing the physics engine of some 3rd rate game, and unless you find that fun, this field is really not for you. I like coding, but that's just demeaning.

The school is also depressing for a million other reasons - the lack of women is more than enough. When you come to this place, your standards for the opposite sex will drop. On the other hand, I did know the one decently attractive chick in my class who took advantage of the high male count and whored herself around for a bit.

The school is also full of flamboyantly annoying geeks. Just imagine a messageboard, like this one, come to life. People quoting video games, and homestar runner and shit that you hear enough of already. The few friends I have are ones that are normal fucking people.

What's funny is DigiPen's competition (Full Sail) is supposed to be even more of a joke. I did consider them back when I was in 11th grade, but DigiPen seemed to be the better way. Now I've come to realize neither one was worth it.

I'm droppin' out and hopefully movin' on to some green pastures.

Thanks

Fleh, ever read GTO (the only manga/anime I like except for FLCL) Do like that guy, demand stuff and show them your crime record.

Oh, be witty, always be witty.

I don't know you, you're not my friend.

I'm full of good ideas..

Thanks
    Blog Entries

hm. but i doubt he'd be able to get away with using the german suplex on the faculty...
    Quote Originally Posted by Chibi-Suke
    You really aren't kidding about your title... wow.
    There isn't an acronym to describe how badly I want you to not be here.