Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A question for the not-physically challenged

Thanks

Default A question for the not-physically challenged

I do 40 reps of 20 pounds 4 times for my bicep workout. (In other words, I lift 2 twenty pound weights 40 times, then another three times.)
    When some of the weightlifters at my highschool heard that, they said that I had it all wrong and that I need to be lifting more weight and doing less reps.

Anyone here a weightlifter? I need some knowlegde from someone who doesn't do steriods.
    Spreading Fear and Uncertainty since 2004!

*Apparently the above doesn't fit in a custom user title. Bollocks.
    Copyright Paladin_Hammer 2007: "Deus ex Imperator". "Dio Dal Genica".
    NWO 4 Life!

Funniest Thread EVER

Thanks

As a non-physically challenged person whom does not take steroids and has never seriously weightlifted before.. It sounds to me like lifting heavier weights for a shorter amount of time probably wouldn't be the way to go.

Ask the staff at some gym, maybe?

"Violence is always the answer. If you somehow believe violence is not the answer, you are asking the wrong questions. If violence is not solving your problems then you're not using enough of it."

Visit my Deviant Art Gallery here:http://sspirate.deviantart.com/gallery/

Thanks

don't promote steroids! eek.

we have a weight lifting class at school.

get on your bikes and ride!

Thanks

I don't really lift weights, but I was always told that if you want to get those huge looking muscles, you lift a lot of weight in few reps. But if you want to be healthy, have stamina, look nice (not huge), then you do many reps of smaller wieghts. I could be totally wrong, anyone feel free to correct me, I don't have anything to back up what I've said.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Miller
    I don't really lift weights, but I was always told that if you want to get those huge looking muscles, you lift a lot of weight in few reps. But if you want to be healthy, have stamina, look nice (not huge), then you do many reps of smaller wieghts. I could be totally wrong, anyone feel free to correct me, I don't have anything to back up what I've said.
    And he said it best.

Thanks

Ok I lift some and so i can tell you, no matter what you are going for, Arnold or Brad Pitt, you are doing way to many curls per set. I would go heavy and do about three sets of 8 or 10. To get huge, you would have to lift a lot so I wouldn't worry about that. Any other questions, feel free to ask.
    "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." -Frank Sinatra

Thanks

Okay you are going about it all wrong. For big muscles do 4 reps of 4-5, if you want to just get a lean type of muscle where you aren't huge then you do 4 reps of about 10-12. You can have a choice of those types with dumbells, just pick which way you want to go about it.

Sig above thanks to crusher

Thanks
    EP Points

Buy a fuckin bowflex

Thanks
    EP Points

That all depend's on what you want from lifting.

Size, strength, or endurance. Idealy you wan't all three (or at least Strength and Endurance)

Size, maxout as much as you can, and eat lot's of protein to rebuild your muscle tissue.

Strenght, heavy weight's low reps.

Endurance, lighter weight's high reps.

You should do all three. Strength, and endurance twice a week and Size once a week (for a five day week).

What your doing is endurance... though 20 pounds is a little low...
    Last edited by GundamGuy; 1st-February-2005 at 01:19.

Thanks

dont listen to those guys they dont know what they are talking about. It all depends if u lift less wieghts but do more reps youll more likely get really toned muscles. I suggest u do that because your really getting a better workout. Once that gets really easy for you increase reps or then increase wieghts. If you look at it some guys just put as much wieghts then lift it once maybe twice and there done. Keep up what your doing because you getting not only a better workout but your body soon will show you some rewards for that hardwork.

Thanks

I wouldn't work a certain muscle more than 3 times a week though....you don't want to overtrain and your muscles need time to heal. And i wish i could buy a fuckin bowflex, unfortunately they are quite expensive. But yeah when you overtrain, you could end up just hurting yourself and don't forget to work your whole body so you don't look disproportionated. I don't think thats a word but, oh well.
    "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." -Frank Sinatra

Thanks
    EP Points

I have bigger guns then popeye.
    muscles are for men with small dicks

Thanks

OK, that's 160 curls every day you work out...That's just way fucking too much. It's obvious that 20 pounds is just too light for you. Even if you want to be toned, I wouldn't do THAT many reps. Maybe 20 at most at a time, but anymore than that is ridiculous.

Time for you to up the weight buddy. Oh yeah, also you gotta make sure you balance your workout. You didn't really say what else you do. BUT, bottom line, it's ridiculous to only build up a few muscles a lot, because when you do stuff you use a lot of muscles...and your others will be a limiting factor.

Thanks
    EP Points

Im telling ya, just go out and buy a bowflex. That'll solve all your problems.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soldier
    Im telling ya, just go out and buy a bowflex. That'll solve all your problems.
    How would that possibly solve his problems? He would still have to find his balance between reps and weight... And he'd be out a lotta cash.