Thread: Video card issues (3)

Thanks

Default Video card issues (3)

My GeForce 4 Ti 4600 (2 1/2 years old) recently started having trouble. Whenever Windows loads, some weird pixelation occurs. Once Windows loads, the screen then goes blank. Let me mention that it only happens when color is present on the screen. The black & white parts (i.e. BIOS messages) have no trouble. What I've done so far:

Cleaned GPU fan
    a) Removed the GPU fan and cleaned & dusted it
    b) Removed the old thermal paste/compound from the GPU core, using rubbing alcohol.
    c) Reapplied thermal paste/compound & reattached the GPU heatsink/fan.
    *Pixelation actually got a little worse.

Tested video card on another computer
    *Same problem occured

Would getting a GPU fan help? Or, is it too late to do anything? I've looked all on the board, and none of the power cells are busted. So, what do you think?

Thanks

It really shouldn't be doing that. When did the problem appear first time? Was it all of a sudden or after you had done something?

It could be a cooling issue, as if the chip gets heated, all kinds of weird things can happen. The boot-up uses only low-res text-compliant resolution, so it needs less power and uses different methods than graphical modes, so the GPU usage is smaller and it's not so hot then.
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks

This can also mean that the memory on your video card is busted. In any case, your card is probably useless. Most GPUs can actually work for at least 5 minutes without a properly functioning Fan or heatsink. Indeed, the graphics modes use alot more graphics bandwidth and memory than the text modes so it will put more strain on both the GPU and memory. Can you try explaining this pixelation in detail, providing a picture perhaps?

Thanks

Has the GPU ever been overclocked? Or if it is defective/of low quality(like a 3rd party chipset distributor), that might also lead me to think it's an overheating issue. It should be able to operate for a few minutes without a fan...

Regardless, that really sounds like your card is fucked up. I reccomend getting a new one or a used one from a friend/at work. It doesn't have to be a fancy 256mb card unless you play a lot of games and plan to buy newer titles, I think you can find a decent 32 or 64mb card at much less than $100.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Buggered memory on your GPU. Almost certainly require a new card.

Thanks

http://forums.emuparadise.org/showthread.php?t=14243

Maybe this thread could help you out a little bit.

Thanks

Before, as I said, I tried the video card on a friend's computer, and the problem was the same. So, it's most likely the card itself. It might be heat, but I even cleaned the heatsink/fan really well and added new thermal paste.

My conclusion: it must be the memory. The card is pretty old and it's a Chaintech (i.e. cheap).

I guess there's no feasible method for replacing the memory?