Thread: The Singer's Thread(or the thread for those who can't play anything).

Thanks

Default The Singer's Thread(or the thread for those who can't play anything).

So... Singing. It's a musical instrument itself, so who here likes to sing? Now I'm not talking about some shower-singing crap, I'm talking about singing to actually improve, or perhaps you sing in a band, or just singing seriously. Any kind of vocalists are welcome, be it regular clean singers, screamish mofos from hardcore bands, rappers, etc.

I have a very limited voice, therefore my regular singing is very bad. Perhaps it's because I don't try it very much, but I've tried singing some Judas Priest/Iron Maiden-ish stuff and it's just too hard for me, I can't hit such high notes(never tried it loud enough so I'm not sure). I also suck at imitating Eddie Vedder(Pearl Jam).

I can sing some Frank Sinatra, though.

Of course I've tried some of that growling stuff in death metal. In fact, my growl is pretty good, sounds an awful lot like Pandemonium's deep vocals, and quite a lot like that of Avulsed. Thing is, I can only do it from my throat, so it's not very loud and gets very tiring after a bit. Having phlegm helps a lot... If I try to do it from my gut(how it's really supposed to be done), I sound like Morbid Angel, or some old Italian punk band(don't remember the name).

I can do very good rasps however, not as perfect as Arsis', but good. I need plenty of phlegm to do it well, and it doesn't sound like cum gurgling like a lot of BM bands.

Normally I don't sing along to something less I know the lyrics very well and I feel hyped. I frequently sing some Manowar/Metallica/Pearl Jam/a few power metal bands/etc.

So... post what stuff you sing, if you sing, if you suck, if you're better than Bruce Dickinson, etc. Or just spam this thread if you can't play any instrument.

Thanks

I can play instruments (piano and guitar, albeit not all too well due to my incredible lack of recent practice), I just choose not to. Nyah.
    ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º° ¨¨°º¤ø„¸ EDWARD CULLEN IS THE KING OF VAMPYRES! HE IS BETTER THAN BILL COMPTON, LESTAT DE LIONCOURT, VLAD THE IMPALER, & DICK CHENEY ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°� �¤ø„¸

Thanks

I may be tone deaf, but there's nothing more fun than singing along to Metallica, while doing James Hetfield impressions
    Increase the size of your wang - PM crusher the words "poo poo" for extra length now!

Beware Coward!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ton
    Yeah that'sit , you're just so sexy , woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hangman
    I may be tone deaf, but there's nothing more fun than singing along to Metallica, while doing James Hetfield impressions
    I kind of like to chant the riffs... Beavis and Butthead style.

Napalm Death songs... and other political grindcore tracks are very fun to sing.
    Last edited by Soeru; 21st-January-2005 at 23:07.

Thanks

I have not one bit of musical talent whatsoever. Hurrah.
    "I start to think there really is no cure for depression, that happiness is an ongoing battle, and I wonder if it isn't one I'll have to fight for as long as I live. I wonder if it's worth it."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Domingo
    I have not one bit of musical talent whatsoever. Hurrah.
    Why not try some MTV-style rap?

Thanks

Yep, I can sing, pretty decently too or so my friends say...

Thanks

I am the best vocallist on the board, and I'm exceptionally modest. I started singing in my school choir in Grade 3, went on to our ensemble choir in Grade 5, and then in Grade 6, my ensemble won several regional contests. Choir was the extent of my formal lessons though, I then started getting into more and more rock music, singing al sorts of stuff, then about three years ago, the discovery of head voice. After months of trying to work how to use it, one day it just came out and seemed so easy from then on, the Muse songs at the top of my range didn't then even raise a sweat. I was singing Maiden and Dream Theater songs. Awesome. From then on, I've been a tenor. Then Opeth came along and I was fascinated by them, my death growl took a lot of practice, but now I have a very loud, deep and bellowing growl, but with Ursa Minor, I switch indefinite pitches between the deep growls and the higher pitched screams often.

The hardest things I can sing

All Dream Theater I've attempted (Metropolis Pt 1 and Another Day are the hardest)
    Iron Maiden - Aces High, The Number Of The Beast, Children Of The Damned
    Opeth - Master's Apprentices (Takes a lot out of you)
    Green Day - American Idiot album(Sung one octave higher than Billie Joe, without breaking passagio).

Don't know know my exact range, but I think it's about 4 octaves.

My falsetto used to be fantastic, back when I had no head voice, but now I can sing the same notes with such a stronger resonance behind, it seems useless...

Thanks

Yeah, I've been singing forever. I have a naturally deep voice, but a great range. I've really spent an unbelievable amount of time songwriting and singing. No formal training like Slim, but if he's the best on the board, I'm probably the second.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soeru
    Why not try some MTV-style rap?
    Because I would like to retain what little dignity I have.
    "I start to think there really is no cure for depression, that happiness is an ongoing battle, and I wonder if it isn't one I'll have to fight for as long as I live. I wonder if it's worth it."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I sing. Not well, but I'm getting a little better. I'm a little like you, Soeru... I can growl rather well, but it's not very loud. Although I don't need a lot of phlegm, and I can go for a while.

That is all. =\

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Methamphetamine
    I sing. Not well, but I'm getting a little better. I'm a little like you, Soeru... I can growl rather well, but it's not very loud. Although I don't need a lot of phlegm, and I can go for a while.

That is all. =\
    Have you ever tried it from the gut rather than from the throat? People with strong diaphragms can do full length concerts and not get tired.

Thanks

I can sing, but I can't scream. Or growl.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I can sing...sort of. Not very well, but not quite cat-on-manifold (I think...). I also used to be able to play the piano, but after several years without practice, I found I could barely remember the notation (Scales, notes, sharp, flat, damper pedal, and a couple speed notations), much less play anything. At least I could still find middle-C.