Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Must Have G-Mail Drive

Thanks

Default Must Have G-Mail Drive

GMail Drive is a Shell Namespace Extension that creates a virtual filesystem around your Google GMail account, allowing you to use GMail as a storage medium. GMail Drive creates a virtual filesystem on top of your Google GMail account and enables you to save and retrieve files stored on your GMail account directly from inside Windows Explorer. GMail Drive literally adds a new drive to your computer under the My Computer folder, where you can create new folders, copy and drag'n'drop files to.

Ever since Google started to offer users a GMail e-mail account, which includes storage space of a 1000 megabytes, you have had plenty of storage space but not a lot to fill it up with. With GMail Drive you can easily copy files to your GMail account and retrieve them again. When you create a new file using GMail Drive, it generates an e-mail and posts it to your account. The e-mail appears in your normal Inbox folder, and the file is attached as an e-mail attachment. GMail Drive periodically checks your mail account (using the GMail search function) to see if new files have arrived and to rebuild the directory structures.

But basically GMail Drive acts as any other hard-drive installed on your computer. You can copy files to and from the GMail Drive folder simply by using drag'n'drop like you're used to with the normal Explorer folders. Because the GMail files will clutter up your Inbox folder, you may wish to create a filter in GMail to automatically move the files (prefixed with the GMAILFS letters) to your archived mail folder.

Please note that GMail Drive is still an experimental tool. There's still a number of limitations of the file-system (such as total filename size must be less than 40 characters), and it doesn't make full use of the secure internet protocols available.

PM me and ill send the link to whoever wants it. i am using it now and its like haveing another drive it's great for file storage and other stuff

Thanks
    EP Points

This looks like a great tool. I am intrigued by the Explorer interface; if it works as well as you have described, this is gonna be nice.

PM sent

Thanks

Pm Sent Sprung

Thanks
    EP Points

Works like a charm

Thanks Zer-0

Thanks

You guys can just google it...

Sad to see that I can't use it on FreeBSD...

However, I hope this doesn't become really popular. I'd hate to see such a great service get fucked...

Thanks

When you uninstall it does it get rid of the drive?

Thanks
    EP Points

Yes. And I beleive you can find it by searching on google:
    "GMail Drive shell extension" and hitting I'm feeling lucky.
    Faster.

It's not "incredible" to say so, since uploading to it takes a long time, and you can't share any links with people. I personally think that remote desktop'ing is more useful, but you'll need an open computer for that.

Thanks
    EP Points

How about we stop slamming Zer-0 for his chosen mode of sharing the info, and stick with whether you find this useful or not.

I find this incredibly useful, if for nothing else than dropping all my good downloads in, so I dont have to keep track of CDs between formats

Thanks
    EP Points

This was not "slamming" at Zer-0 but it thought sharing opinions and posting in threads was the point of a forum.

Yes, it's really good, and useful for small files, but for stocking bigger files I do think there is other more interesting ways. And I didn't get super speeds downloading from gmail either. There is also the fact that Google might not want their free service to be used this way, and being banned or something isn't what I want. :\

Edit->Heh, i think i'll make a translated version, currently only in english and my OS is in french.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by polobunny
    This was not "slamming" at Zer-0 but it thought sharing opinions and posting in threads was the point of a forum.

Yes, it's really good, and useful for small files, but for stocking bigger files I do think there is other more interesting ways. And I didn't get super speeds downloading from gmail either. There is also the fact that Google might not want their free service to be used this way, and being banned or something isn't what I want. :\

Edit->Heh, i think i'll make a translated version, currently only in english and my OS is in french.
    Know what? I re-read the posts, and I agree with you. I guess I took them the wrong way the 1st time. I stand corrected

My apologies.
    Last edited by Sprung; 20th-January-2005 at 02:58.

Thanks

it doesnt matter yeah u can search google i was just posting this for people who have the need of transfering files or online storage for various work files, obvously this is no good for anything else.

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah, it's good so you don't need to pay for those online drives (DAP Drive and some silly ultra small storage like that).

On that subject, Xdrive seems very fine, and I just saw you can get a free 15 days trial.
    http://www.xdrive.com/
    5Gb, supposed to get ok speeds, and secure. Interesting.

Edit->Oh yeah, and it also offers an explorer plugin. Great.
    Edit 2->Oh shizzle, trial needs credit card number. ;____; I don't have one. :\
    Last edited by polobunny; 20th-January-2005 at 04:44.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zer-0_Divide
    GMail Drive is a Shell Namespace Extension that creates a virtual filesystem around your Google GMail account, allowing you to use GMail as a storage medium. GMail Drive creates a virtual filesystem on top of your Google GMail account and enables you to save and retrieve files stored on your GMail account directly from inside Windows Explorer. GMail Drive literally adds a new drive to your computer under the My Computer folder, where you can create new folders, copy and drag'n'drop files to.

Ever since Google started to offer users a GMail e-mail account, which includes storage space of a 1000 megabytes, you have had plenty of storage space but not a lot to fill it up with. With GMail Drive you can easily copy files to your GMail account and retrieve them again. When you create a new file using GMail Drive, it generates an e-mail and posts it to your account. The e-mail appears in your normal Inbox folder, and the file is attached as an e-mail attachment. GMail Drive periodically checks your mail account (using the GMail search function) to see if new files have arrived and to rebuild the directory structures.

But basically GMail Drive acts as any other hard-drive installed on your computer. You can copy files to and from the GMail Drive folder simply by using drag'n'drop like you're used to with the normal Explorer folders. Because the GMail files will clutter up your Inbox folder, you may wish to create a filter in GMail to automatically move the files (prefixed with the GMAILFS letters) to your archived mail folder.

Please note that GMail Drive is still an experimental tool. There's still a number of limitations of the file-system (such as total filename size must be less than 40 characters), and it doesn't make full use of the secure internet protocols available.

PM me and ill send the link to whoever wants it. i am using it now and its like haveing another drive it's great for file storage and other stuff

This thing is old, quite old. Why not post the link to the site? It's not like it's warez...

The idea sounds cool, yet bores me. Emailing shit to myself works well enough, but should I ever really need to store significant amounts of crap in my Gmail account, I'll use this. I have a few invites, btw.

Uncle Evil Guest

when im uploading why does it look like the phone is taking a major shit?

Thanks
    EP Points

Phone taking a major shit?!? :\
    Anyway, I almost provided a link to it, in my first post.