Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drummer's Thread

Thanks

Default Drummer's Thread

ha, i'm going to follow suit with Soeru making the guitar thread. so welcome to the place for drummers.

feel free to talk about your favorite drum parts from songs, your own kit, and stuff like that.

Right now i have a blue Tama Rockstar that is very nice and makes me happy. i'm going to buy some drum triggers and a drum modular soon too, because my band is starting to write new songs and we've got some crazy ideas coming up. hopefully with these triggers it will be insane.

get on your bikes and ride!

Thanks

What kind of stuff do you plan to play?

I've never really sat down on a drumkit before, is it all that hard to play something simple at first? Just a noob with his inquiries. I'm really curious, the closest I've ever gotten to drumming was tapping pencils on textbooks, trying to match all the blastbeats from metal bands and shit.
    Last edited by Soeru; 18th-January-2005 at 03:09.

Thanks

Nice, Tama is quality. Me, I got myself a 5 Mapex. Nothing brilliant, but it gets the job done.

I used to be a band which played a lot of metal/punk. It was pretty fun, but, then we broke up. Haha. Now, I don't play nearly as much, but Tantric is damn good shit on the drums.

What cymbals you got?

Well, I think drums is pretty hard at first. Lots of people love to sit down and play and think they're good, yet they really really really suck. Not saying that would be you Soeru, of course.

Thanks

So you're saying that I will inevitably kick ass if I decide to play drums?

Is it easy to rip shit up with a double bassdrum, or does it take a while to get rythmic rolls and stuff?

God I feel so noobish.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soeru
    So you're saying that I will inevitably kick ass if I decide to play drums?

Is it easy to rip shit up with a double bassdrum, or does it take a while to get rythmic rolls and stuff?

God I feel so noobish.
    Haha.

Double bass isn't particularly hard IMO. However, I played all kinds of 16th note off beats on single bass, so it wasn't really any faster on the double. Rolls on it aren't that hard though, as long as you have a decent double bass. I've played on shitty ones where it's impossible to do much of anything. However, it prolly would take a decent amount of time, if you didn't already have single bass experience.

I think that was a really long and shitty explanation, but hopefully it did the trick. haha.

Thanks

Mwaahaaaa. Drummers, Unite!!!

I'm currently playing a Premier APK, 9 piece. Double kick drum too I've posted pics of it before, so won't do now unless asked I found playing double was at first a bit hard, since my left foot was about 7 years behind my right foot in practise But now with plenty of practise of got it sounding quite smooth. And yarr, short rolls are definatly easier than keeping a sustained fast pace. "Aquire" the Mike Portnoy instructional videos (Progressive Drum Concepts, Liquid Drum Theater 1 & 2) for some really good tips and exercises. He's definatly the guy that made me want to start using double bass properly. Also, get the Thomas Lang DVD. He's a 6' 2" Austrian blonde haired wall of strength - the Arnie of drumming

Anyone here play traditional grip? I've started using it over the past couple of months after being inspired by Stewart Copeland (drummer for the Police). Just wondering if anyone else uses/tries it?
    Increase the size of your wang - PM crusher the words "poo poo" for extra length now!

Beware Coward!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ton
    Yeah that'sit , you're just so sexy , woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Thanks

I haven't really played much with the traditional grip. I used to be able to do ok on snare with it, but I only tried it a little bit when I was first learning. Probably because my dad played that way...

I don't see how you could ever do things really fast that way though...it'd be....hard.

Thanks

Eh, I think it's impossible too. But then watching guys like Dave Weckl, Thomas Lang, Buddy Rich...they play traditional at warp speed...
    Increase the size of your wang - PM crusher the words "poo poo" for extra length now!

Beware Coward!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ton
    Yeah that'sit , you're just so sexy , woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Thanks

yeah, no joke. my grandpa was in a band back in the 50's and such so he plays the old style grip. crazy stuff.

i have an 18" crash and 21" inch ride from Zildgian which are pretty old. i got them with my grandpa's SLingerland set, so they're back there. but sound good. i also have a 14" AAX from sabian and...i forget my high hats. whatever kind they are, i'll have to check later. its too darn cold out to get to my garage.

i play w/ double bass everynow and then. its good to put in some fills, but i don't play real hardcore stuff, so its kinda interesting. its fun, but challenging to learn.

with these drum triggers and modulator i'm aiming for some crrrrazy electric sounding stuff. haha dumbly put, but i dunno.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by youthquake
    yeah, no joke. my grandpa was in a band back in the 50's and such so he plays the old style grip. crazy stuff.

i have an 18" crash and 21" inch ride from Zildgian which are pretty old. i got them with my grandpa's SLingerland set, so they're back there. but sound good. i also have a 14" AAX from sabian and...i forget my high hats. whatever kind they are, i'll have to check later. its too darn cold out to get to my garage.

i play w/ double bass everynow and then. its good to put in some fills, but i don't play real hardcore stuff, so its kinda interesting. its fun, but challenging to learn.

with these drum triggers and modulator i'm aiming for some crrrrazy electric sounding stuff. haha dumbly put, but i dunno.
    Damn, it's very hard to imagine someone's grandfather nowadays saying that they played in a rock band. No more of that "When I was your age, we didn't have any of that rock & roll".

What are these drum triggers you mentioned, some electric drum thingies like the ones in that old Twix commercial?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soeru
    Damn, it's very hard to imagine someone's grandfather nowadays saying that they played in a rock band. No more of that "When I was your age, we didn't have any of that rock & roll".

What are these drum triggers you mentioned, some electric drum thingies like the ones in that old Twix commercial?
    I think with the drum triggers, what you do is put em on your acoustic set, and then whenever that specific drum is hit then it activates the "trigger" which plays an electric sound through some sort of amp. Is this right?

His grandfather was probably in some sort of jazz band...

Thanks

haha close. a trigger has like a little mic that pics up the vibration on your acoustic drum set and it can send the vibe through a cable and into a drum modulator. the modulator is essentially what makes the sound. like 500 of them, ha.

yea, my grandpa's band actually played a gig w/ Louis Armstrong. super rad. i haven't asked him a whole lot about his band, but i think i'm going to. and maybe borrow some of his recordings.

Thanks

Drummers thread? Awsome!

Ive got a 5 piece Pearl MMX in champagne sparkle as my main kit at the mo, and using zildjian avedis 17" and 18" medium crashes, 21" sweet ride and 13" mastersound hats.

Planning though to purchase a smaller kit in the next week such as a yamaha hip gig for smaller gigs and practices

Oh and Hangman, i think stewart copeland is such an underrated drummer, i've only just started to really get into the police and they really are amazing, traditional grip i use from time to time for the jazzier stuff

Got pics of my kit somewhere if anyone wants to take a look...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Magician
    Drummers thread? Awsome!

Ive got a 5 piece Pearl MMX in champagne sparkle as my main kit at the mo, and using zildjian avedis 17" and 18" medium crashes, 21" sweet ride and 13" mastersound hats.

Planning though to purchase a smaller kit in the next week such as a yamaha hip gig for smaller gigs and practices

Oh and Hangman, i think stewart copeland is such an underrated drummer, i've only just started to really get into the police and they really are amazing, traditional grip i use from time to time for the jazzier stuff

Got pics of my kit somewhere if anyone wants to take a look...
    I wouldn't mind taking a look. Also I am extremely jealous of your cymbals...I really need to upgrade, badly. These crappy sabian b8's aren't doin it anymore.

Thanks

hey, yeah, pictures would be rad.

mine's all packed up in the case bags, so i'll have to post mine later.