Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: EU considers banning Nazi symbols. Ohnoes.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Golgotha
    There is a difference between just seeing something and looking, contemplating and reflecting on the true meaning of it. No one is making you go up and read what is inscribed on the object. No one is making you think (oh my, think!) about it. Just ignore it if it pains you so much to think about it.

That's all very well and good, however it not quite as simple as that. Seeing it or contemplating, is really not the issue. It's about symbolism. That statue stand's for something that well the goverment should not be endorsing, or representing above others.

I don't really care, i don't think removing religious symbols, will get anyone anywhere. However i can understand the reasions behind their actions, and dont just dimiss it as "Just more government paranoia along the lines of people wanting to ban religious statues and texts in court houses in the US."

Quote Originally Posted by Golgotha
    Last I checked I wasn't out petitioning to keep the stuff from being removed. It is simply an observational analogy.
    No one said you were doing anything to keep the stuff, however it is clear that you care if they are removed. You do have a opinion on the issue. "Just more government paranoia along the lines of people wanting to ban religious statues and texts in court houses in the US." Tell's me that you don't think highly of the people who wish to remove such things. You clearly dont care that they are their, however you don't like those who wish to remove such things. So you don't care if they are there, but think lowly of those who wish to remove them. Why?

Thanks

whats funny is that my local newspaper just printed a cartoon picture of a confederate hillbilly reading an article on the whole issue and saying "what was he thinking?"

get on your bikes and ride!

Thanks

Wait, so does the banning of the swastika ban the swastika everywhere? Because if so, that really sucks. Not only for video games (as someone said, forgot who), but for history books. Are the history classes in Europe going to just forget about WWII?
    Squiggly Line Squiggly Line Squiggly Line

Thanks

hmm interesting i wana lok more into it

Thanks

^ I bet you do.

Wait, so does the banning of the swastika ban the swastika everywhere? Because if so, that really sucks. Not only for video games (as someone said, forgot who), but for history books. Are the history classes in Europe going to just forget about WWII?
    I read up on that at some point, and was told that German (and other euro-schools) do teach things like WWII, and do emphasize greatly on the Holocaust.. So the Swastika is probably shown in school textbooks for reference. I'm assuming it's more so that you just can't buy or wear nazi regalia.

"Violence is always the answer. If you somehow believe violence is not the answer, you are asking the wrong questions. If violence is not solving your problems then you're not using enough of it."

Visit my Deviant Art Gallery here:http://sspirate.deviantart.com/gallery/

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Yes, swastikas and other Nazi paraphernalia (Mein Kampf, for instance) are, I am almost certain, legal for educational or non-Nazi purposes. For instance, my sister and mother both own bracelets with a reversed swastika on them. Neither are Nazis (Humorous comments about my sister's birthday on 20/4, same as Hitler's, aside), but my mother is Buddhist, and my sister and I both used to attend a Buddhist temple with her. That is the reason why they own those bracelets. I don't, but I never was that religious, anyways.
    Last edited by Mistral; 19th-January-2005 at 03:19. Reason: A spelling error, of all things

Thanks

Symbols don't count. What people think is the matter. I see svastikas painted on walls everyday, and probabily they were made by stupid boys that even don't know what it means. But there could be people who favour nazism and don't give a fuck about symbols, and that's the real problem. And let's not forget that svastikas, in origin, were the symbol of happiness or something like that on indian peoples or somethin like that

Me will rock you

Thanks

I saw Mein Kampf in the library today. I'd have borrowed it, but I'm already reading too much... Sigh.
    ø„¸¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º° ¨¨°º¤ø„¸ EDWARD CULLEN IS THE KING OF VAMPYRES! HE IS BETTER THAN BILL COMPTON, LESTAT DE LIONCOURT, VLAD THE IMPALER, & DICK CHENEY ¨°º¤ø„¸¸„ø¤º°¨¸„ø¤º°¨¨°� �¤ø„¸

Thanks

I watched Schindlers (sp?) List the other day. Good movie, long, but good.
    Squiggly Line Squiggly Line Squiggly Line

Thanks

Is Mein Kampf available in the US? I remember awhile back that my history teacher said it wasn't sold in the us.

Thanks

^ Yes, it's available in the US.. Had it not been, my copy wouldn't have been purchased in Tennesse.

"Violence is always the answer. If you somehow believe violence is not the answer, you are asking the wrong questions. If violence is not solving your problems then you're not using enough of it."

Thanks
    EP Points

yeah, what ever, good, fuck nazis

they burned down huge chunks of london
    and killed half my family

as i said before fuck nazis

and yeah the eu sux

but at least its better than the states governmrnt

Thanks

Is it a good book? I was thinking about reading it once, but I just couldn't find it. Isn't it just his plan for reviving germany? Any ideas were I could buy it?

Thanks

Is it a good book? I was thinking about reading it once, but I just couldn't find it. Isn't it just his plan for reviving germany? Any ideas were I could buy it?
    Surprisingly, I havn't read it all and it has been laying somewhere untouched for months. But, there are parts that shine utter brilliance/hilarity.. and parts that were dull, boring and longwinded.
    The first chunk of the book is an autobiography, the other chunk is mainly about Nazism, plans, and whatnot.

You could probably find it in your local library.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Schutzstaffel
    But, there are parts that shine utter brilliance/hilarity.. and parts that were dull, boring and longwinded.
    Adolf was a great speaker, but I've been told (by the best history teacher in the world) that his writing sucked beyond belief. I've also heard that some Mein Kampf translations are very bad.

He wrote it while in prison, am I right? I wonder if being pounded in the ass by his buddies daily had anything to do with his writing. All jokes aside, it's a book I'd like to take a look at. Perhaps after I read that book Skinner likes to bitch about...

Edit: You can find it at a Barnes & Nobles(book shop). If you can find books about making bombs and homemade weapons in the US, then of course you can buy Mein Kampf.
    Last edited by Soeru; 21st-January-2005 at 00:51.