Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Is the new ps2 (slim) moddable?

Thanks

Thats prolly correct. But my ps2 (currently running and playing gta: sa) has been running since 9:00 this morning and its 4:13 now. Upon feeling it, it feels minorly warm but nothing to cause alarm. Doesnt seem like so big of a problem to me.

Thanks

It also depends on where you have your console. If it is somewhere closed place, it gets hot much faster than if it had lot's of space around it. And as for any equipment with fans: some kind of dust will always stick to the fan and in a long run make the fan less effective.

EDIT: Now I realized how this thread (like many more) have overgone to another subject from the opening post. But it is normal in any kind of discussion.
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks

i recently rented a ps2 from blockbuster and it didnt come with a memory card. i think i may have left the ps2 on for 3-4 days at a time. no overheating. it didnt even get very warm. i dont think the new pstwo can stand up to that.
    not that id really do that again, but its nice to have the option =P

Thanks

I haven't exactly read the most of this thread, but I'd like to mention that the V12 consoles (the ps2two) have a flaw, and also the V9 and V10's. The flaw is that the station gives too much power to a certain part and over time it will stop working. There are certain fixes around for the v9 and v10's which are working 100%, but there is none that hasn't been 100% on a ps2two. I would suggest waiting before modding your ps2two's until a certain fix is released. I only say this out of personal knowledge as this is a very large part of my job when it comes to repairing consoles.

Here's a page that you can check out for fixes on the v12 problem:
    http://www.cyber-mag.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=135
    Emuparadise.org - Been with you since late 2000 and still going strong!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Hmn. That's new. I have a V10 PS2. I've had it about a year, and the system still works like the day I got it. If there's a flaw in that model, it hasn't reared it's head just yet in my system. Knock on wood, I guess. I'll keep these "fixes" in mind should I ever run into trouble.

Thanks

with a V10, the fix is simply lifting a pin and soldering it to another point to give 5V instead of 12V. But, the reason your system hasn't faced any problems may very well be that you run good media on it. This problem tends to appear when you run scratched media or cheap dvd-r/cd-r media.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by emu_kidid
    with a V10, the fix is simply lifting a pin and soldering it to another point to give 5V instead of 12V. But, the reason your system hasn't faced any problems may very well be that you run good media on it. This problem tends to appear when you run scratched media or cheap dvd-r/cd-r media.
    Ah, I see. Well, I do use good media on it, and I keep it in good shape. Even so, should this problem occur, I'll be sure to ask you for help in getting it sorted out.

Thanks

Just curious. What kind of media do you use? 'Cause I am big into the Swap Magic thing and I use Ritek Ridata 8x DVD+Rs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Winged 2.0
    Just curious. What kind of media do you use? 'Cause I am big into the Swap Magic thing and I use Ritek Ridata 8x DVD+Rs.
    They should be fine as long as they aren't scratched or dirty. Ritek/Ridata is best for any console.

Thanks

Thats what I hear. I got em real cheap off newegg too. 25 dollars for a 100 dvd spindle.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Winged 2.0
    No, the laser cannot hurt you. I have even stared into it. No it cant hurt you.

winged, i must say that is one of the stupidest things ive ever heard anyone say. but im not going to go into that.

the slim ps2s have a heating problem, which i attribute to, of course, inadequate cooling. the ps2 has a decent heatsink on the motherbaord, but as the models progressed, they started to skimp on materials, making the blades on the heatsink smaller & farther apart, which is why i modded a heatshink from the 3500 series onto my 5000 series ps2.

now the personal experince. me & my buddy were having a marathon gaming session at his house on his new slimline ps2, now, being rpg lovers, we were playing azure dreams. after about 12 hours of tag-team gaming (which we have done with the psx and a 3500 series ps2) the thing died. there was a burning smell, and upon examining it, we found it incredibly hot, and part of the case had melted. he returned it.

in my opinion, the ps2 is an inferior device as a piece of electronics, and the only reason sony introduced it into the market was to save money on production while increasing sales profit (seriously, how many people own both? i'll bet its a large percentage of the slimline owners). a flip-top and a few switches are cheaper to produce than a full tray gear system. plus the ps2 is using almost the exact same power converter circuits as the psx, so all the "slimming" does is shrink the power unit, and remove the fan and cd tray apparatus, plus shrink the (much needed) heatsink.

now for being on topic, why would you want to mod the slimline? if & when a chip is produced, im sure itll be much more expensive than anything you could buy for the original ps2
    Quote Originally Posted by Chibi-Suke
    You really aren't kidding about your title... wow.
    There isn't an acronym to describe how badly I want you to not be here.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZeikHunter
    now the personal experince. me & my buddy were having a marathon gaming session at his house on his new slimline ps2, now, being rpg lovers, we were playing azure dreams. after about 12 hours of tag-team gaming (which we have done with the psx and a 3500 series ps2) the thing died. there was a burning smell, and upon examining it, we found it incredibly hot, and part of the case had melted. he returned it.
    O M G

But you got to admit there are not so many people who play 12 hours non-stop

Thanks

Non-stop? Well I eat sometime between my gaming session...
    Have you seen me before?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GODJonez
    Non-stop? Well I eat sometime between my gaming session...
    Yeah everybody does.

But ever played 12 hours non-stop? guess not.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZeikHunter
    now for being on topic, why would you want to mod the slimline? if & when a chip is produced, im sure itll be much more expensive than anything you could buy for the original ps2
    Mostly all mod chips support the slimline ps2's (v12), only some others that are specifically made only for certain older units aren't compatable. The prices are the same.