Thread: Kenosis, Bittorrent's salvation!

Thanks

Default Kenosis, Bittorrent's salvation!

Not that Bittorrent needs any saving, but there's this new program or something called Kenosis that claims decentralizing bittorrent. Since exeem was kinda like a big letdown this just comes with perfect timing. Since I'm not much of a techie Ill let you guys do the math and discuss this.

Quoted from slashdot: "Eric Ries, writer/programmer/CTO, authored an article 'Kenosis and the World Free Web' at Freshmeat [Owned by Slashdot's Parent OSTG]. Kenosis is described as a 'fully-distributed peer-to-peer RPC system built on top of XMLRPC.' He has combined his Kenosis with BitTorrent & removed the need for a centralized tracker. He states: 'To demonstrate Kenosis's suitability for these new applications, we have used it to improve upon another peer-to-peer filesharing application that Just Works: BitTorrent. BitTorrent does one thing incredibly well. Using a centralized "tracker," BitTorrent manages efficient distribution of data that is in high demand. We have extended BitTorrent, using Kenosis, to eliminate this dependence on a centralized tracker.' See also the Kenosis README for details on using Kenosis-enabled BitTorrent."

links: http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/1440/ article
    http://kenosis.sourceforge.net/README_KENOSIS.txt instructions on using it. When someone figures it out please tell me!

Well anyway you can check the article at slashdot.org

Now tell us what you think or die...
    Signature removed by Administrator. One picture per sig limit.<!--
    -->

Thanks
    EP Points

Let down...
    it still uses a central tracker, just this time is a tracker for trackers..
    Using a central tracker means it can be targeted. Killing the central tracker would take out the whole network, as all files must be routed through it. This in my opinion makes it a poor design.

Kenosis-BitTorrent uses torrent files which specify a tracker of the
    form http://hash.bt.kenosisp2p.org, where "hash" is the hash of the
    original file.
    Kenosis-BitTorrent downloaders will notice that this is a kenosis url
    and use kenosis to find the tracker that is handling this torrent
    file.

Thanks
    EP Points

Although there should not be a legal reason to take down what is pretty much a DNS of trackers. That would be like trying to take down a site that links to sites that link to files (trackers effectively link to files).

Google does the same.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Norgus
    Although there should not be a legal reason to take down what is pretty much a DNS of trackers. That would be like trying to take down a site that links to sites that link to files (trackers effectively link to files).

Google does the same.
    Although Google does not route you to the file, just the site the file is on.

Thanks
    EP Points

exactly the 'tracker for trackers' doesnt link to the file. It links to the trackers which link to the file. Same as google.

In fact you can find .torrent files on google, althout it fairly pointless because google won't have many active torrents.

Thanks
    EP Points

exactly the 'tracker for trackers' doesnt link to the file. It links to the trackers which link to the file. Same as google.

In fact you can find .torrent files on google, althout it fairly pointless because google won't have many active torrents.
    If that's what you think... ok..

This is how it works, your client send's it's request to the main tracker, which then fowards the request to the sub tracker that then connect's you to the people seeding the file. Key word connect's it's the Main Tracker is connecting you directly to the content you wish, abet through others.

Google is just a Database not a connecting tool... not at all like Kenosis.

Anyway it's not what is advertised to be, and still targetable...

Really all it does is rout all files though their site/client... making it even easyer for the MPAA/RIAA to find little know trackers and shut them down...
    Last edited by GundamGuy; 11th-January-2005 at 22:31.

Thanks

Talking

were can i get this from.
    cheers !

Thanks
    EP Points

But still, my point was that the people hosting are now abstracted twice rather than once in the chain.

You could be right abut it being a bad thing to have trackers all easily listed though. I quite like bittorrent as it was to be honest.

Thanks
    EP Points

But still, my point was that the people hosting are now abstracted twice rather than once in the chain.

You could be right abut it being a bad thing to have trackers all easily listed though. I quite like bittorrent as it was to be honest.
    That is true, and such abstraction could make it harder to find them at first... then again if Kenosis uses a database of some sort, which i assume it will have to by the sound of it, it might make it easyer to find all the small trackers.

Anyway we do agree on one thing, Bittorent is fine the way it is... why are people trying to fix what is not broken... I dont see any benfit of removing the tracker, or in making on huge centeral data base of trackers.

Thanks
    EP Points

If you end up with essentialy one big tracker then you lose the individual communities that tracker can provide and essentially become almost the same as a few of the other p2p protocols thus losing some individuality as well.

I hope bit torrent stays alive the old way even if just for the legal uses.

Thanks

Take a look at Freenet. It's the only thing like that that really works.

Thanks

Hmm....interesting information. I think I shall wait to find out what happens next.

Thanks

yea, the information is very intresting and intriguing, we shall all egearly await with great expectations and anticipation to find out what will happen next, i think..

Thanks

not too impressed with kenosis so far...