Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: file sharing music: Help or harm the industry?

Thanks
    EP Points

I personally don't remember any R&B having origionality before or after pirating, and thats also not a backed up point, rather its an opinion.

Thankyou for those article links, Zephyr. I'll get to reading those.

Mikey_ Guest

i don't think downloading music will totally ruin the music business. i mean, alot of people in that biz can get rich by just popping out a small catchy song and sell alot just as long as you and your music is marketed the right way. the problem for me is, i don't really listen to anyone specific that i would buy their entire album. i only go for singles. and thats because the artists i do listen to which are various don't release great albums. just a CD with at least 12 songs, max 14 songs, of all the songs, about 3 of them are worth listening to over and over again. and so i'm not gonna pay about 20 bucks for a cd filled with songs that i don't care for or that i don't even want. thats the main reason why i download.

Mikey_ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kosmo Yagkoto
    They make you pay more for the CD because they can and they have the right to charge whatever they want. You can play music from your CD player for your friends. But this is getting off subject because i just proved that music downloading is wrong, which i think most people knew anyway.
    yes, they do make you pay whatever they want because they can. does THAT make it right? only to the ones charging it. not always to the ones looking to buy it or considering it. and downloading music isn't stealing. especially if the people who download the music get it from people who own the actual original CD. it's called sharing. IMO if someone decides to go out and legally purchase a CD or whatever it is, its their property there on out. they can do whatever they want with it. if they choose to rip their own property and share the music on the CD they legally OWN, that is totally fine. i mean really it's their property. they bought that CD with their own money. the government didn't buy it for them. the RIAA didn't buy it for them. the label that made that CD didn't buy it for them. so it is the buyer's property to do what they wish with what they own. that's just my opinion.

Thanks
    EP Points

One think I need to know for sure is, is music sold on disk as property or as a licence?

if its a licence basis then it would be more simmilar to windows whereby you cannot legally buy 1 copy and install in onto 5 PCs (unless you pay the extra for 4 more licences).

If they are sold as property, then I can't see any reason for all this illegality crap.

Thanks

interesting question but isn't "sharing" music just like going to a movie theater and taping the movie?
    "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." -Frank Sinatra

Mikey_ Guest

in no way shape or form. because ur paying to view the movie once. ur not paying to walk out of the theatre with ownership of a dvd of the movie. unlike the case of buying a music CD and deciding whom u want to share it with since it's yours.

Thanks
    EP Points

interesting question but isn't "sharing" music just like going to a movie theater and taping the movie?
    Not at all. You can give anything you own away, or share it with whoever you want. That being said, if when you by the CD the CD becomes your property, so you can share it with whoever you want.... however, the Music on the CD is licencend, so you cant copy the music off of the CD, or make copys of the CD.
    Last edited by GundamGuy; 31st-December-2004 at 18:11.

Thanks

Well if you are thinking of getting a law passed that says music sharing is illegal then that is not going to happen so really it doesn't matter because none of us are lawyers and a lawyer could tell us exactly how it works. But since it is illegal you shouldn't try to justify it, since it doesn't really matter.
    "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." -Frank Sinatra

Thanks
    EP Points

But since it is illegal you shouldn't try to justify it, since it doesn't really matter.

Exactly.

Thanks
    EP Points

If some law is really stupid and the majority of people disagree with it, then it should be considered not a law by definition of democracy.

If it became illegal to express political opinions I would damn well hope that the public get it overturned. I was wondering if the illegality of filesharing was stupid enough that it should STOP being illegal.

Mikey_ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GundamGuy
    Not at all. You can give anything you own away, or share it with whoever you want. That being said, if when you by the CD the CD becomes your property, so you can share it with whoever you want.... however, the Music on the CD is licencend, so you cant copy the music off of the CD, or make copys of the CD.
    then you're not really paying for music. you're just paying for a CD that contains music that you can only listen to? it's almost like as if you pay for something but it's truly not even your property to do with what you want. almost like a rental.

Thanks

Well since this isn't mob rule and the US is actually a Democratic Republic the people can't just vote on random laws they would like to see abolished ....but since it is illegal there is no reason to do it. Unless you want to be a ciriminal.

Mikey_ Guest

legality has nothing to do with reasoning. laws of course are official. but just cuz there's a law that makes it so that sharing something you bought illegal, doesn't mean there aren't reasons for going against it.

Thanks
    EP Points

Well since this isn't mob rule and the US is actually a Democratic Republic the people can't just vote on random laws they would like to see abolished ....but since it is illegal there is no reason to do it. Unless you want to be a ciriminal.

More then half of the people living in the US do something that is Illegal at least once a day. We are all Criminals of one sort or another.

Like i said before. If your going to do it, do it. Though you should know what happens if you get cought... or more so selected in this case, but if you know that and still wish to do it, Then by all means do it, Just don't try to justify it.

Thanks

Goodjob norgus that's verywell written. also a good question that i cant come up with a soloution to.