Thread: For Azariel: Question regarding GC ISO's.....

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Default For Azariel: Question regarding GC ISO's.....

Quote Originally Posted by Azariel
    I wish to ask about Game Cube Images whats the stage now? are there mini DVD s burned playable?

Thanks
    EP Points

Not as I know of, but you might want to watch carefully the vipergc chip, which really ease the process of "streaming".
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/lofivers...p/t258339.html

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Actually, that chip allows you to play games burned onto both mini and full-sized DVD's (the latter possible only with modification to your system) on your GC. It's not a streaming solution as I see it. I may be wrong, but that's just how it seemed to me after reading the comments and whatnot.

Oh, and I also downloaded the bios they were talking about, and the NFO does indeed outline which brand DVD's work the best in thier tests, so yeah.

Thanks
    EP Points

No, as I see it, you need to stream everything to that special modchip, which stores all your game. After that, you simply boot from the chip, and play away. I might be wrong, I gotta say I read that really fast last time.

Edit->Just read the comments, it lefts me, uncertain.
    Edit 2->Really, i'm not sure. I think it can read both mini and normal dvd, though the guy who spoke about that prolly don't know much than I about it.
    Last edited by polobunny; 30th-December-2004 at 12:36.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well, you're correct, in that you have to flash the bios by streaming it to the chip just as you would a game, but that's really the extent of it. Once you've done that, you should be able to play games from DVD's, no further streaming necessary.

EDIT: I've read the very same NFO he's talking about. I'd say that if anything, he's at least familiar with the creators said in the NFO, and if we're to take them at thier word, then it's possible to play games from a disk.

Now, I've read some posts on PS2Ownz or whatever it is (my roomate has it bookmarked), and there are people there who've confirmed that this works, take that as you will...
    Last edited by Cyberxion; 30th-December-2004 at 12:39.

Thanks
    EP Points

Then, it's cool.
    Just need to get my hand on a GC scredriver, then i'll burn dvd-r's.
    Can't get any mini-dvd. Anyone knows of a good canadian provider for these?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Dude, Mini-DVD's are too expensive to be worthwhile. Seriously, they seem to be more costly then regular sized DVD's, so it's best just to do the modification and buy a pack of DVD-R's.

Oh, apparently someone's making a sort of flip-top for the GC, so that'll come in handy.

Thanks
    EP Points

Flip-top? Great then, I don't want my GC to be open all the time, or worse, to cut thru that funky case.
    And hell, yeah, mini-dvd's are more expensive, but i wanted some for the reasons above.

Thanks

Sorry if this mentioned on a different topic but...
    You can also tweak the laser in the Gamecube so it can read any brand of mini-DVDs. I found it interesting to read, even though it's a small paragraph.

Source: GC Laser Tweaking | Update of the Somewhat Small Tutorial

Might be easier to burn GC on mini-DVDs now that you can buy a cheaper brand after doing the tweak. Personally, I'm sticking with streaming and buying :p

Thanks

you don't want to be tweaking your lasers just yet. After all, changing the resistance will screw it over in the long run if you're using it to run cheap media. So if media won't load with original resistance settings, but it loads after a tweak, more than likely that media is slowly killing the laser.

Also, full size media will make the motor struggle more to spin it up to the required rate and it might kill the motor too.

I don't mean/want to say not to get it, just saying to not use full size dvd-r alot and cheap media at that. Recommended media is Ritekg04 mini-dvd-r.
    Also, there's a stream fix available which fixes up the audio in all of the older releases. But this is only temporary and it will be fixed in 0.3 of the bios.
    Emuparadise.org - Been with you since late 2000 and still going strong!