Page 57 of 160 FirstFirst ... 747525354555657585960616267107157 ... LastLast

Thread: Which anime are you currently watching?

Thanks

Finished Last Exile yesterday. A really great anime that I shouldn't have missed for so long. The story had the perfect balance of drama, action, politics, romance, and had somewhat believable interaction between the characters. A few flaws here and there cripple the anime but it's nothing to detract from the quality.

I'm thinking of starting Ghost In The Shell: SAC now that I've nothing to watch besides the currently running weekly shows, but I'm open to suggestions as well.
    Last edited by Megalith; 19th-August-2007 at 11:20.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Megalith View Post
    Finished Last Exile yesterday. A really great anime that I shouldn't have missed for so long. The story had the perfect balance of drama, action, politics, romance, and had somewhat believable interaction between the characters. A few flaws here and there cripple the anime but it's nothing to detract from the quality.

I'm thinking of starting Ghost In The Shell: SAC now that I've nothing to watch besides the currently running weekly shows, but I'm open to suggestions as well.
    SAC is damn good but it's a bit of a time investment to get everything from it (2 full series plus the Solid State Society movie). The first series doesn't end of a cliffhanger or anything, but it's one of those shows that sucks you in and destroys your sense of time.

As for other recommendations, I have to pimp the regular 3: Noir, Banner of the Stars and Saikano (if you're an emotional masochist only. It's definitely from the Destroy your Darlings school of drama). I've ranted about all 3 around the forum if you want details.

Starship Operators might peak your interest as well. I liked their answer to "How do you finance a battleship for your interplanetary rebellion?" (in this case it was to sell the media rights to an interplanetary media conglomerate) and it doesn't shy away from things. The only major flaw is that the main character has a major dose of the usual anime hypercompetence.

Right now I'm probably going to dig either Escaflowne or Maria-Sama ga Miteru out of my backlog of things to download and watch.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnos View Post
    SAC is damn good but it's a bit of a time investment to get everything from it (2 full series plus the Solid State Society movie). The first series doesn't end of a cliffhanger or anything, but it's one of those shows that sucks you in and destroys your sense of time.

As for other recommendations, I have to pimp the regular 3: Noir, Banner of the Stars and Saikano (if you're an emotional masochist only. It's definitely from the Destroy your Darlings school of drama). I've ranted about all 3 around the forum if you want details.

Starship Operators might peak your interest as well. I liked their answer to "How do you finance a battleship for your interplanetary rebellion?" (in this case it was to sell the media rights to an interplanetary media conglomerate) and it doesn't shy away from things. The only major flaw is that the main character has a major dose of the usual anime hypercompetence.

Right now I'm probably going to dig either Escaflowne or Maria-Sama ga Miteru out of my backlog of things to download and watch.
    So where exactly does the first movie tie with the plot? Or does it all? Should I watch it before or after the series?

That reminds me! I have watched the first 4 or so episodes of both Noir and Saikano and I remember I was enthralled by both. I need to dig up the CDs that hold those episodes and download the rest. Saikano I'm told has a pretty sad conclusion, and I'm a sucker for those, and it's pretty short (around 12 episodes if I remember correctly) so I think I'm going with Saikano before everything else.

Noir's style reminded me somewhat of Gunslinger Girl's style and appeared to have an epic story. The action scenes and music were pure brilliance.. I've no idea why I never finished that.

Read a few reviews for Starship Operators and it looks interesting. I might watch that when I'm done with all the other stuff on my hands.

You should look into Black Lagoon if you haven't already. I think you might like it.

Thanks

The first two Ghost in the Shell movies (entitled Ghost in the Shell and Ghost in the Shell: Innocence) are a seperate continuity to the 2 Stand Alone Complex series and movie (Solid State Society is set after the second SAC series), and both are a different continuity to the 2 manga series.

I personally consider SAC to be better than the two regular movies and both better than the 2 manga series, but everything except the second manga series is pretty good overall.

I'll look into Black Lagoon after I've finished watching the first season of Maria-Sama, I'm in the mood for something more shoujo at the moment.
    Last edited by Dr Mario; 20th-August-2007 at 00:53.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I've just started on Death Note recently. I love the game of psychological cat and mouse going on between Light and L, as well as the moral questions the show raises. Good stuff.

Also, does anyone else who has seen this think that Light is a psychotic bastard? He's despicable. He's willing to do whatever it takes to achieve his goals, something that coupled with the goal itself might be admirable under other circumstances. However, he takes it way too far, and you can't help but hate him for it. Honestly though, he's one of the most fascinating "protagonists" I've had the pleasure of coming across in quite a few anime in recent times.

Thanks
    EP Points

Rather than protagonist, you can't help but see him as the villain, yes. He's pretty much a genius though, so it was always interesting to see what he came up with to fool the investigation team. And about being psychotic? He gets even worse towards the end of the show.

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh wow, this thread's dead.

Anyway, I watched Gravitation. I never thought I'd watch a shounen-ai show, but hey, I see nothing wrong with it, and I'm not a homophobe or anything.

Thanks

I've been watching Naruto subbed and the abridged series of Yu-Gi-Oh (hilarious provided you can still remember the 4Kids version) but IDK if that counts as an anime

Thanks

I just, finished watching Serial Experiments Lain, it blew my mind.

Spoiler warning:
    I dunno...in the last scene when Arisu finds Lain again and she's all grown up and married...I almost dropped a tear. I had a similar dream some years ago, so...I dunno, I kinda related to that.

One of the best anime I have ever seen.

Thanks

Watched both seasons of Black Lagoon. It was good, not Cowboy Bebop good, but a fine way to spend that time.

Inside of a Final Fantasy NES cartridge...
    Thanks
    EP Points

Watched Armitage III, its sequel Armitage III - Dual Matrix, and Macross Plus.

They were OK.
    On a scale of 1 to 10, I'll give them a 6.5.

Now watching A.D. Police.
    Only watched the first episode--so far, it's kind of "meh"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

I'm checking out Zero no Tsukaima. Interesting show, I suppose.

Thanks
    EP Points

Just finished Eureka 7 and Last Exile. Sad to see such good series end.

Next up is Grenadier.

Thanks

I'm watching the first episode of Elfen Lied. I downloaded it. Lol.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Finished Pretty Cure, still working through Slayers Next. Funny bit at the end the fansubbers added, though...Arienai Count: 107, and they missed a few. Still not as bad as the Dramatic Desu.