Thread: Invisible sprite playing Rolling Thunder 2 on MAME/Rolling Thunder idling issue

Thanks

Default Rolling Thunder idling problems & Rolling Thunder 2 sprite problems, both on MAME

FIRST QUESTION:
    I'm playing Rolling Thunder 1 on the Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator, & the game tends to freeze/idle for some reason beyond my comprehension.

When I beat a stage (whether it's an "area" or a "story"), there's a short interlude that takes place in front of a "super computer" of sorts with enemy sprites moving back & forth & randomly shadow-boxing. This is where the time is counted for a bonus score (which functions normally, even with the Infinite Time cheat enabled). After that, it shows a screenshot within the large monitor of the super computer of a girl running from masked men or getting kidnapped or whatever. Anyways, this would probably be the instant that the game moves on to the next stage (not sure, 'cause I've never played the arcade version & it's been quite a while since I played this on the Nintendo Entertainment System). Instead, the game idles at this point; although there is sprite movement (the enemies' movement), the game soes NOT progress any further.

Is there a remedy to this problem, without disabling any cheats? Thank you in advance for your time in providing a solution.

SECOND QUESTION:
    Anyways, this concerns the sequel to RT, Rolling Thunder 2. Whenever I play as the player one character, Leila, the sprite is invisible. You can just imagine how difficult playing the game would be if you can't see your own character's sprite :/ ... This only pertains to player one, as the sprite for the player two character, Albatross, is clearly visible during gameplay.

I welcome any solution that does NOT involve disabling cheats or switching to the player two position. Thank you for your time.
    Last edited by SpinNuYasha; 24th-December-2004 at 09:43.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

There was absolutely no need to create two threads, as you could've asked both questions in one. Thus, I've merged them, and edited your posts into a single post. Great.

Thanks
    EP Points

Ok, at least, read it.

Have you tried disabling the cheats first, only to know if it's caused by the cheats?
    If it idles because of that certain cheat, there is no way of fixing it.
    A cheat affects a specific area of the memory, sometime it creates side-effects. If you fix the problem in the memory, it will disable the cheat.

Just to help a bit, for your own comprehension, there is 2 big kinds of memory hacking cheats.
    1) The value freezing cheats
    What is does: Change a value for what you want, and freeze it to that so it doesn't come back to the old one/another one.

2) The value replacing cheats
    What it does: Only replace the value by one you want, without freezing it. If something in the game says to modify this value, it will be changed.

So, an infinite time cheat, is considered as a value freezing cheat, because it will always stay to 99 or something like that. If you disable it only for a scene where it needs to count it down to zero, then re-enable it, it may work.

Another thing, are you using any other cheat?
    Maybe there is some cheats conflict going on, a cheat modifying another cheat value...
    This may make the game act weirdly/malfunction/crash.

Same goes for your other problem, with Rolling Thunder 2.

Edit->I see a mod merged everything...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberxion
    There was absolutely no need to create two threads, as you could've asked both questions in one. Thus, I've merged them, and edited your posts into a single post. Great.
    I would've put these two questions in the same thread, and therefore the same post, if they pertained to the same game; I was in doubt to do that because Rolling Thunder 1 & Rolling Thunder 2 happen to be different games .

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Wow. I would never have figured it out if you didn't tell me. Thanks.

Seriously man, it doesn't matter. You don't need seperate threads for both games, when the issue is due to a problem in MAME. Even where that not the case, it is entirely possible for one to create a single thread and ask multiple questions, especially if they are as similar in nature to one another as yours were...
    Last edited by Cyberxion; 24th-December-2004 at 09:58.

Thanks

Actually, I do know it has something to do with the cheats, because both RTs work fine without them. I found that the only solution is disabling the cheats. The only way I could play the game sans problems but with cheats is to disable the cheats at the right time. For RT1, that means I toggle the cheats before I finish the stage & before I start the next one; for RT2, I toggle the cheats before I start the stage.

Thanks
    EP Points

So, whats the problem then?

Thanks

Well, I was hoping that there was a definite solution that doesn't involve going through the tedium of toggling every cheat I use just to advance to the next level. I guess I had my hopes too high, *sigh* .

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Well, if it's a problem attributed to the cheats, then it stands to reason that the only way to solve them would be to disable them, unfortunately.