Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The lowdown on Sony PSP's battery life...

Thanks

Default The lowdown on Sony PSP's battery life...

Battery Journal
    How does the PSP battery hold up? Click.
    December 12, 2004 - The biggest question people seem to be having about the PSP concerns its battery life. And, now that we have the final system in our hands along with a bunch of games, we're sure you all want to know how long can you play games before the system dies?

Unfortunately, we can't answer that question for you exactly. Why? Because we haven't had time to sit down for four or five hours straight with a game and play until the system died.

The PSP is meant to be a multimedia device. You can play games on it, you can play music on it, you can play movies on it, along with god knows what else. Playing through Ridge Racers until the battery dies is probably not a good indication of how long the battery will last when you end up getting your PSP system and putting it to use for a variety of things.

However, you're still probably hoping for some way of grasping the battery's performance, and so we've created this little journal story. After opening up the PSP, we initially let the system run until the battery lost all its residual charge, and then charged it up completely to full charge. From that point on, we made notes of the usage of our system and the remaining battery life.

The PSP interface screen has an option which lists the remaining battery life both as a percentage and as a time. The percentage should be a reasonable measurement of the amount of charge left in the battery (at least while the system is new), but the remaining time is just an estimate made by the system based on your current operating environment, with the brightness of the screen seeming to play the biggest role. What we've done here is listed the remaining time setting while the screen was at max brightness and when it was at minimum brightness.

We'll be updating this story as we continue playing with our PSP throughout the coming days. Be sure and check back to see what kind of juice you'll be able to get from your system.

All times given below are American west coast times. We're actually running this test in Japan, so you may see some strange things where we refer to it being very bright during the middle of the night.

DECEMBER 12, 2004

12:54AM: Turned System On
    Following full recharge

12:54AM: Status Report
    - Battery remaining: 100%
    - Full brightness time remaining: 5:49
    - Low brightness time remaining: 7:35

12:54AM: Played Games
    Ridge Racers, Vampire Chronicles, etc., using system speaker set to full blast and screen alternating between minimum and maximum settings (videos look better when the screen is set to minimum)

1:54AM: Stopped playing games

1:54AM: Status Report
    - Battery remaining: 89%
    - Full brightness time remaining: 4:52
    - Low brightness time remaining: 6:21

1:54AM: Turned System Off

3:30AM: Turned System On

3:30AM: USB and MP3
    Transferred about 200 Megabytes of MP3 files to the PSP and used it as an MP3 player as I went to pick up another PSP unit. Had remote control and headphones attached to system. Listened to such artists as Prodigy, Utada Hikaru, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Nirvana, skipping tracks frequently as I determined that the PSP remote control and headphones suck.

4:30AM: Stopped MP3 use

4:30AM: Status Report
    - Battery remaining: 76%
    - Full brightness time remaining: 3:43
    - Low brightness time remaining: 4:42

4:30AM: Turned System On

6:00AM: Turned System Off

6:00AM: Played Games
    Played Minna no Golf and Armored Core at full brightness.

7:00AM: Stopped Playing Games
    Noticed that remaining battery marker had fallen to two marks for the first time, so I wanted to check what the remaining battery was.

7:00AM: Status Report
    - Battery now at two marks
    - Battery remaining: 58%
    - Full brightness time remaining: 2:35
    - Low brightness time remaining: 3:05

7:00AM: Played Games
    Continued playing Minna no Golf and Armored Core (low brightness for making videos)

7:45AM: Stopped playing games
    Realized that you don't actually control mechs in Armored Core, so decided to stop playing.

7:45AM: Status report
    - Battery remaining: 45%
    - Full brightness time remaining: 1:39
    - Low brightness time remaining: 2:07

7:45AM: Turned System On.

9:15AM: Turned System Off

9:15AM: Played Games
    Played Armored Core just to make sure that you really don't control the mechs (low brightness for making videos)

9:30AM: Stopped playing games
    Realized, once again, that you don't actually control the mechs in Armored Core.

9:30AM: Status report
    - Battery remaining: 38%
    - Full brightness time remaining: 1:43
    - Low brightness time remaining: 2:19
    (hmm... the battery time went up after we played Armored Core more. Maybe playing games where you don't have direct control over in-game characters results in energy being given back to the battery).

9:30AM: Turned System Off.

6:00PM: Turned System On.

6:00PM: Status report
    - Battery remaining: 34%
    - Full brightness time remaining: 1:35
    - Low brightness time remaining: 1:58

6:00PM: Played Games
    Played Lumines at high brightness (really bright outside) in order to try and "get" game.

6:30PM: Stopped Playing Games
    Noticed that remaining battery marker had fallen to one mark for the first time, so I wanted to check what the remaining battery was.

6:30PM: Status Report
    - Battery now at one mark
    - Battery remaining: 25%
    - Full brightness time remaining: 1:02
    - Low brightness time remaining: 1:24

6:30PM: Played Games
    Completed addicted to Lumines, so wanted to continue playing (this time, I accidentally played at low brightness without realizing it).

7:10PM: Status Report
    - Battery remaining: 14%
    - Full brightness time remaining: 0:30
    - Low brightness time remaining: 0:40

7:10PM: Played Games
    Lumines is toooooooo much fun (this time, I made sure to play at high brightness).

7:20PM: Stopped Playing Games
    Noticed that remaining battery marker had fallen to zero mark for the first time and power meter had started flashing, so I wanted to check what the remaining battery was.

7:20PM: Status Report
    - Battery now at zero mark
    - Power meter now flashing
    - Battery remaining: 10%
    - Full brightness time remaining: 0:23
    - Low brightness time remaining: 0:31

7:20PM: Played Games
    Lumines is still toooooooo much fun (again, at high brightness).

7:45PM: Battery died
    And I was right in the middle of a huge score in the Industrial skin on Lumines! It's okay, though, because the PSP goes into sleep mode when the battery dies, allowing you to continue play exactly where you left off, once you've gotten more power to your system.

7:45PM: Began recharge

So we've at last played our way through a full battery charge cycle. In case you don't feel like counting, the battery died after about four hours and fourty-five minutes of five different games and one hour of MP3 play. We didn't use the WiFi features of the system at all during this time.

Keep in mind that we avoided charging the system a number of times that we could've easily plugged it in (in particular, as we slept). Unless we plan on playing games for more than five hours in a row, the battery seems like it'll be okay to us. Of course, for long trips, we may find ourselves picking up a spare just in case (they're about $40 at retail).

We'll continue to track our battery use as we play around with more of the system's features over the coming days. From here on out, we're going to start charging whenever we feel like it, as this will be a better way to get an idea of how long the PSP will last when you're actually using it.

Stay tuned for updates in this space shortly.

-- Anoop Gantayat
    ... from IGN, of course.

Interesting to see how graphically intense games will drain the battery much faster.

There are no games that interest me, but I think I want one of these.
    Last edited by Soeru; 14th-December-2004 at 01:18.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Why do you want one, if none of the games appeal to you?

Thanks

Man, hammered. That's shit. 5 hours? No. I'll stick to my innovative, non-battery eating wonder, the DS (when I buy it when it comes out in Aus )

Thanks
    EP Points

Wow. Not too good, although a lot of the drain must be attributed to the drive.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ~-EVIL-TACO-~
    Why do you want one, if none of the games appeal to you?
    I'm just attracted by it's appearance, and it's graphical capabilities, but I would never buy a console for just that. I'm sure it won't be long before Sony starts pumping some quality games for the PSP. Maybe someday I'll be encouraged to buy it, if they come out with an even smaller version or something...

Edit: Sprung, did you say drive? As in hard drive?! Ohnoes! I am uninformed! How big is it?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Soeru
    I'm just attracted by it's appearance, and it's graphical capabilities, but I would never buy a console for just that. I'm sure it won't be long before Sony starts pumping some quality games for the PSP. Maybe someday I'll be encouraged to buy it, if they come out with an even smaller version or something...

Edit: Sprung, did you say drive? As in hard drive?! Ohnoes! I am uninformed! How big is it?
    No, the UMD drive...the little discs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung
    No, the UMD drive...the little discs.
    Oh, had me baffled for a minute. Yeah, it has that little motor thingy to play the discs, so that's a battery killer... Cartridges are too limited/too expensive for big games, but having uber-leet graphics in a game that you can play for only a few hours might be a drawback...

I'm wondering if the PSP makes a lot of noise/vibrates when it reads the discs?

Thanks
    EP Points

I'm wondering if the PSP makes a lot of noise/vibrates when it reads the discs?
    I have wondered this as well. To read data quickly enough to feed a decent game, I would figure the drive would have to read equal to at least a 40x CDROM or higher. That has to generate some noise or vibration...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Sprung
    I have wondered this as well. To read data quickly enough to feed a decent game, I would figure the drive would have to read equal to at least a 40x CDROM or higher. That has to generate some noise or vibration...
    Are the UMD's formatted the same way as a CD-ROM? Or are the 'pits' more closely packed, such as on a DVD? If the data on the discs is stored more densely, then it won't be necessary to read the discs at insanely high speeds right?

I guess it all depends on the RAM capabilities of the PSP too. I mean it can probably load a whole(or most of a) level in a 3-D game into memory, so I guess there will be occasional loading times like in any current console game? It would suck if it had to read off the disc all the time.

Thanks
    EP Points

Are the UMD's formatted the same way as a CD-ROM? Or are the 'pits' more closely packed, such as on a DVD? If the data on the discs is stored more densely, then it won't be necessary to read the discs at insanely high speeds right?

I guess it all depends on the RAM capabilities of the PSP too. I mean it can probably load a whole(or most of a) level in a 3-D game into memory, so I guess there will be occasional loading times like in any current console game? It would suck if it had to read off the disc all the time.
    I am probably the last person to get accurate PSP info from, as I am a self proclaimed DS Fanboy but I would venture to say that the UMD is infinitely more dense than a CDROM. I just estimated the speed comparison, as the smaller disc would be the equalivelent of the innermost tracks on a CDROM (faster data transfer). I doubt the drive would be running continuously.

Thanks
    EP Points

The drive can hold up to 1.8 GB of data. It is definetly more dense then a CD-ROM. The developers make the games do have minimum reading of the disk. They will try to load the level all at once and stuff. I think 5 hours is plenty of time. When I think about it the most I would probably play without a power cord is about 3-4 hours at the most. Then I wouldn't play it for a while so I could just plug it up.

Thanks
    EP Points

New hardware by Sony. Give it some time, battery life will improve by Software and Hardware. And from what i hear, no rumbles or anything. Stay tuned until Friday or so when i get mine.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Borman
    Stay tuned until Friday or so when i get mine.
    How..? Import?

Is it region free...

[Rant] Ok 5 hours is enough time for you to enjoy your PSP... (games only.. movies are about 2-3h) The real question is, which system will it cost me more per play.. and by that i mean, if i have to chage the PSP more often then the DS, then i am using more Energy, ergo have to pay the power company more. Not siginificantly more... but hey...im cheap.[/Rant]
    Last edited by GundamGuy; 14th-December-2004 at 02:48.

Thanks
    EP Points

Import. Yes, its region free for games at least, or so they say. No way to test that out. And by the looks of it, it will be here on Thursday.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    The drive can hold up to 1.8 GB of data. It is definetly more dense then a CD-ROM. The developers make the games do have minimum reading of the disk. They will try to load the level all at once and stuff. I think 5 hours is plenty of time. When I think about it the most I would probably play without a power cord is about 3-4 hours at the most. Then I wouldn't play it for a while so I could just plug it up.
    You are aware the DS get 10 hours per charge? The SP had the same, and I can tell you...I have ran it down in a day. 5 hours just sounds a bit short to me...

Obviously, this is one test, and it is bound to vary with game type/player/etc so I am not dissing the PSP.