Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Personalities, or something.

Ziegfried Guest

Default Personalities, or something.

Yes, so. Agent Smith and I were just talking on AIM about personalities...

username358 (10:21:33 PM): Hmmm. Seems you and I differ greatly in that regard.
    SkinnerVIII (10:21:40 PM): Yes.
    username358 (10:21:52 PM): I hold that the internet experience does not hold true to the real life experience of someone.
    username358 (10:22:03 PM): As I know it does not regarding myself.
    SkinnerVIII (10:23:54 PM): I think online and offline... Are just different points of view of a person, really. One isn't necessarily more true than the other.
    username358 (10:24:04 PM): Perhaps.
    username358 (10:24:18 PM): Perhaps neither are the true expression of a person.
    And yeah. Went on for a little bit, then he had to go and fap or something. Didn't really listen. Anyway, what do you people think? Is the IRL version of a person necessarily the more "real" one?

Thanks
    EP Points

Well, with me...what you get here, is what everyone gets. Now, whether that is a good thing is still undecided, but at least it is consistant

Thanks

I would say that the IRL version is not necessarily the more "real" one, but most of the time, it is. Like me. IRL, I'm the most introverted person of all time. I just kind of keep my thoughts and ideas to myself, figuring that no one really cares enough to hear them. Not that anyone here cares either, but damn it, I'm talking anyways. Online... well, here I am writing this, so... this isn't really very "realistic" in terms of who I am. For some, this might not hold true, but, unto my experience, that's the way it works.
    "I start to think there really is no cure for depression, that happiness is an ongoing battle, and I wonder if it isn't one I'll have to fight for as long as I live. I wonder if it's worth it."

Thanks

IRL I swear more. And my penis is bigger than my e-penis...

Thanks

Online is where you get the funnier, less bogan side of me. You don't get the other the top noises, self-confidence, charisma, vague self-conciousness, vague self-centredness, and whole other host of things. Vote Toto. A vote in the right place.

Thanks

Yeah, I'd say that your IRL personality is the more "real" one. I act pretty much the same online/offline though.......

I don't know you, you're not my friend.

I'm full of good ideas..

Thanks
    EP Points

Perhaps your inner mologue is the most true 'self', your personality. I think im reasonably simmilar online and offline, but perhaps talk more online.

(\__/)_/)
    (O.o ).^)
    (> < ) <)

Now we know how viral bunny signatures really spread.

Thanks

I guess your IRL person is definitely more real. I mean, when you're on a forum or a channel, you can practically be who you want and say what you want. Lose all your inhibitions that you have to face irl and that's why most people find it easier to talk online, etc. But I'm the same person online and irl, so I wouldn't say that about me, however, there are some things that I can openly talk about here while shedding my fears of being ostracised or beated the shit out of (which would prolly happen to me in real life).
    Some people put on a completely different persona online, because they're afraid of acceptance, etc. But I am exactly this boring in real life...must shut up now

Ziegfried Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Dingy
    I guess your IRL person is definitely more real. I mean, when you're on a forum or a channel, you can practically be who you want and say what you want. Lose all your inhibitions that you have to face irl and that's why most people find it easier to talk online, etc. But I'm the same person online and irl, so I wouldn't say that about me, however, there are some things that I can openly talk about here while shedding my fears of being ostracised or beated the shit out of (which would prolly happen to me in real life).
    Some people put on a completely different persona online, because they're afraid of acceptance, etc. But I am exactly this boring in real life...must shut up now
    Why would the self that has more inhibitions be more realistic, then? If the online self follows less rules and is more or less free to act as it wants, then doesn't that make it more real?

The offline you is the you that you're (more or less..) forced to be, and the online you is the you that you choose to be. I'd say the latter is the more true one.

Thanks

Yea... more or less what I said. Basically I said I can edit myself and such. Works out wonderfully. Though eventually it boiled down to that the IRL and internet are just different facets of the same person, and it's only an opinion which is more real... and when you only have access to one of the two, not much you can do.
    All I can say is that my life is pretty plain
    I like watchin the puddles gather rain
    And all I can do is just pour some tea for two
    and speak my point of view
    But its not sane..
    I just want some one to say to me
    Ill always be there when you wake
    Ya know Id like to keep my cheeks dry today
    So stay with me and Ill have it made
    And I dont understand why I sleep all day
    And I start to complain that theres no rain
    And all I can do is read a book to stay awake
    And it rips my life away but its a great escape..
    All I can say is that my life is pretty plain...

Thanks

I only meant to say, Skinner, that reality is what's actually out there. Of course this is real too...sitting online and talking on a forum, but for all you know I could be a maniacal-stalking-bitch-of-an-axe-murderer and you wouldn't know shit about it, because I can pretend to be someone else. Or on the other hand, I could be this real loser irl and be spectacular online. It depends on which one of them is the actual reality, then ofcourse that one would be more real.
    I take back what I said about the real life person being more real. I believe that either can be as real or fake as possible, or they can both be real, which in my case is true. But you're right when you said that if I can say or do certain things here which I might not be 'allowed' to do irl, then maybe this is the more real part of me...but reality is relative. I would rather put it by saying, I can be more at ease and myself online and lose all my inhibitions that I would face in real life.

Thanks

Or on the other hand, I could be this real loser irl and be spectacular online.
    Ohnoes! They're on to me......

Wait.. that said spectacular. Saved.
    All I can say is that my life is pretty plain
    I like watchin the puddles gather rain
    And all I can do is just pour some tea for two
    and speak my point of view
    But its not sane..
    I just want some one to say to me
    Ill always be there when you wake
    Ya know Id like to keep my cheeks dry today
    So stay with me and Ill have it made
    And I dont understand why I sleep all day
    And I start to complain that theres no rain
    And all I can do is read a book to stay awake
    And it rips my life away but its a great escape..
    All I can say is that my life is pretty plain...

Thanks

EDIT: Or on the other hand, I could be this real loser irl and be Agent Smith online. kidding

There you go..the Matrix is all around...run!!

Thanks

Neither is more true of you. People act different in different situations. Whether it be with friends, family, strangers, or online, they are all "you". One isn't more true than another, just specific to how you act in that situation. So really I guess you need to add all of them to get you, and missing one, would make you a different person...

Thanks

Your online persona is always less inhibited, but it always conveys the same logic you have in "real life"...
    Last edited by Roux!; 20th-October-2004 at 18:30.