Thread: Graphics Card help :O...

Thanks

Default Graphics Card help :O...

1st of all, is it required to turn off the on board graphics to use a graphics card?
    And if it is, how do I do it. I don't have the option in my bios.
    2nd, does anyone know if a xfx geforce fx 5200 128 mb Tv-out can work in an AGP 2x slot? The site I bought it from (www.tigerdirect.ca) says it will run, but the box says AGP 4x/AGP 8x. A little help?
    Last edited by Isostealer; 15th-October-2004 at 03:29.

Thanks

Remove it(onboard video) via the device manager and install the card along with relevant drivers.

No, an AGP 2X does not support AGP 4X/8X cards. However, AGP 4X cards are usable in AGP 8X slots and visa versa.

Thanks

Heheh, that's the exact card I have right now.

Thanks

You don't need to turn off the onboard graphics. Just don't plug into the motherboard if you don't want to use it. You can turn it off in the device manager but windows might try to reinstall it.

PS if you're investing in a video card like that you really ought to upgrade your motherboard. I recommend you not even attempt to plug in the newer agp card into the older mobo, for risk of frying it. (That happened to me.)

Thanks

This is AGP 3.0 graphics card, which needs at least an AGP 2.0 slot to function properly. You'll have to look up motherboard information or something to know which AGP revision you have. If you say it only supports AGP 2x however, it's most likely AGP 1.0 which is not supported by an AGP 3.0 card (the GeForce FX 5200). You'll have to find an older card like a GeForce4 (non 8x) which will work in an older AGP 1.0 slot.

Thanks

I have a AGP 2x slot, and the same card as you, it works fine. On my PC that is
    I'm just a lurker these days, I feel like an 80 year old gramps, watching his grand children play outside *sigh*

Thanks

I got a GeForce 4 MX 440 AGP 8X running in a AGP 2X slot, so it should be ok.

Just don't expect the card to excel in games and shit. It won't be running at its optimal speed, so performance will suffer cause of that...

Thanks
    EP Points

Be aware that you'll loose a great amount of performance by putting it in an AGP 2x, if that works.
    The easiest way too se if it exist is to find the product manual in pdf or paper format. paper format lol.