View Poll Results: Do you believe in life after death?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

22 53.66%
  • No

19 46.34%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Do you believe in life after death?

Thanks

you don't think there's a point to life?

Thanks

Although I'm a very skeptical person with a very scientific mind, I do believe 100% in an afterlife. My family and I have had quite a bit of paranormal experiences including seeing my grandpa's ghost, so everything I have seen,heard, and read I do believe. I guess you could say I have my proof. I thank god for all my experiences or otherwise I would always have some doubt no matter how bad I wanted to believe in an afterlife and always be worring about dying and not existing if it wasn't for the strong evidence I have seen etc.
    To appreciate heaven well, you must first experience hell.

I'm not afraid to get shot in the head and die, I'm afraid to get shot in the head and live.

Thanks

you've actually seen your grandpa's ghost?? Since you're so scientifically inclined, how would you explain seeing a ghost? And does believing in the existence of an after life make it easier to face the fear of death for you?

Thanks

Death is just the start of another journey...

Thanks

but does this journey entail a form of life?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Dingy
    but does this journey entail a form of life?
    Why must you ask questions after everyones post?

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by GundamGuy
    Why must you ask questions after everyones post?
    Out of genuine interest it would seem.

I do not believe in life after death, I don't have any true comprehension of the feeling of sleep or the feeling of before I was concieved (and that would be because such a feeling doesnt exist). That is what I think death to be like, the same absolute nothing of no existence at all.

(\__/)_/)
    (O.o ).^)
    (> < ) <)

Now we know how viral bunny signatures really spread.

Ziegfried Guest

you don't think there's a point to life?
    No. By my definition, there can't be a real higher meaning to anything. So what if you live forever? So what if you die and go to Heaven or Hell? So what if you die, and don't? Nothing. I mean, if I died... How would it matter? I wouldn't exist and some people might react to it in some or other way, but that's it. It wouldn't be the end of the world, and even then...
    My point is that "so what?" defeats any point anyone can ever have about anything having a true meaning.
    The way the universe would have the most meaning would be if God(s) existed, and really did create it. But, so what? Really. "God created the universe." "So?" "God is the one true God." "So?", etc. I'm not badmouthing religion, there would be even less dramatics if there wasn't a God, so...
    Uh, yeah. Shorter answer: There's no point to life, or anything else for that matter. [/Ramble].

Thanks

you've actually seen your grandpa's ghost?? Since you're so scientifically inclined, how would you explain seeing a ghost? And does believing in the existence of an after life make it easier to face the fear of death for you?
    People who claim to have seen ghosts/phantoms/pink elephants with polka-dot penises are full of shit. And those videos/pics? Even I can photoshop up something more believable.

Anyways: There is no such thing as after-life, but then again there is no way to prove there is/isn't. I assume we'll all find out the truth at some point, thing is we won't be able to come back and brag about who was right or not.

Btw: Life= A pretty word given to the long cycle of feeding, growing, and procreating an animal (such as ourselves) goes through.
    Last edited by Soeru; 19th-September-2004 at 21:56.

Thanks

Just like religion you can't say ghost do or don't exist because you never know...

Sig above thanks to crusher

Thanks

I'll venture a hypothesis that the general lack of the belief in life after death shown in this thread is due to the low average age of the visitors to this board (not an insult, just a fact). As you get older, fall in love, get married, have kids, grow old with someone, etc., the thought of no longer being with your significant other becomes almost... unbearable. It doesn�t matter how illogical the concept of life after death might be to you, it�s just... it�s better than the alternative. So, yeah. I get the feeling if we were to fast forward about 40 or 50 years a lot of the people here would be changing their tunes.

But that really says nothing about what I believe. While I don�t believe in any one particular philosophy about what happens after death (i.e. heaven, reincarnation, etc.), I believe there�s something more to life than meets the eye. There�s such a vast amount of things that we as humans know absolutely nothing about that I can�t bring myself to believe in any one thing. I�m just leaving the possibility open that any or all of them could be true. I refuse to believe that life simply ends after death; that seems far too simplistic compared to the world we live in. But, that�s me.
    -Mason Gray: Less vowels, same great consonant taste.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Mason
    I refuse to believe that life simply ends after death; that seems far too simplistic compared to the world we live in.
    I agree totally. I can't put it into words very well right now, aside to say that if you look around you, how can you believe that this is all for naught and that after we die we're simply dead? Eh, I'll edit this post when I'm able to gather my thoughts on the matter.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mason
    I'll venture a hypothesis that the general lack of the belief in life after death shown in this thread is due to the low average age of the visitors to this board (not an insult, just a fact). As you get older, fall in love, get married, have kids, grow old with someone, etc., the thought of no longer being with your significant other becomes almost... unbearable. It doesn�t matter how illogical the concept of life after death might be to you, it�s just... it�s better than the alternative. So, yeah. I get the feeling if we were to fast forward about 40 or 50 years a lot of the people here would be changing their tunes.

But that really says nothing about what I believe. While I don�t believe in any one particular philosophy about what happens after death (i.e. heaven, reincarnation, etc.), I believe there�s something more to life than meets the eye. There�s such a vast amount of things that we as humans know absolutely nothing about that I can�t bring myself to believe in any one thing. I�m just leaving the possibility open that any or all of them could be true. I refuse to believe that life simply ends after death; that seems far too simplistic compared to the world we live in. But, that�s me.
    Well, I don't really like that first statement. It doesn't make sense to believe in something else because you're afraid of it not being so. However I agree that there is definately something more than what's obvious to life, and that the world is far too complicated for us to understand it. I believe in life after death, so I would so to answer Dingy yes there is some form of life after death. But I'd fathom it completely unlike this world, and completely immaterial.

Skinner: If there's no point to anything, than why do anything?

Thanks
    EP Points

I do beleive in life after death in the form of heaven or hell.

Thanks
    EP Points

I myself often wonder about the meaning of life. Why did organisms originate if it was simply to reproduce and die ? Aren't we after all just a bunch of chemicals ?
    But then, why would some complex strand of proteins (DNA) harbour the power to produce what we call "Life". I can't explain it, because I can't understand it. I don't really believe in the concept of "recycling" of souls. Mason is right when he says that there'll be a time when no matter how we feel, we will WANT to believe in an afterlife. But who's to say that this afterlife will help you walk beside the same people as you do in this life.. That's what we'd like to believe, if there is an afterlife.

However, as much as I know about the universe (which is very little..) I have never witnessed death (I mean this in a metaphoric way), every single thing in the universe changes, there is no life, no death. What exactly is life anyway ? I mean, stars too die, (that's what we say when their fuel is finished..), but that doesn't mean a thing. What I see is change. The universe is changing. When people die, they probably change, into a form which is no longer the same as ours. We don't know what this form is, and if it exists. But it must, because change is an integral part of the unique symmetry of our percievable universe.

Today, I read an article about birds being able to SEE magnetic fields. It was amazing to know about that. Weird things keep happening in the universe. The religious explanation for everything is infact perfect, except for the fact that humans cannot logically process that explanation so it fades into irrelevance. Religion explains everything absolutely, life, death, etc. etc.
    Life after death is probably a reality seeing the kind of symmetry we have in the universe, that's as far as my scientific prediction goes... other than that, yes I would like to think there is life after death.