Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Yes windows sp2 is so great :rolleyes:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Gospel
    Cough.

Of course, you could either use a product key switcher, or get the full SP installs.
    Cough. Details on IRC please.

Thanks

As long as it's not absolutely necessary, I won't get any of the updates from Windows Update except perhaps the critical ones if I deem they are needed. What good will SP2 do anyway(even when it has all the bugs fixed?). M$ is the only company that gives you more flaws with each update, and they even make more money with all those holes. I'm no expert on Windows, but I am aware of the numerous security holes and bugs this OS has. Anyone heard of the new antivirus MS is working on? Pfft, like that will work.

Thanks

Ok, so you admit to not knowing shit about the company or the OS, yet you still bash it?

Hell, for all anyone knows the Microsoft AV could be the second coming.

Thanks

The problem I have is all these people bash Microsoft about there security holes, but then when Microsoft releases updates to fix the problems, people wont download them.

Call me a Microsoft fanboy if you like, its just that I dont see why everyone hates Microsoft so much. The only real problem I find with them is the bloat-ware in Office, and the OS-rot in Windows. Microsoft also provides several thousand jobs very close to Seattle, where I live so I feel the need to defend them.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Soeru
    What good will SP2 do anyway(even when it has all the bugs fixed?). M$ is the only company that gives you more flaws with each update, and they even make more money with all those holes.
    Here's a list of what SP2 fixes: http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;811113

Hundreds of items. And you're complaining about two flaws it has?

I also fail to see how MS makes money off of those holes. Basically that's software development time they have to spend to fix problems when they could be using that time to develop new products.
    -Mason Gray: Less vowels, same great consonant taste.

Thanks

I'm not really a fan of Windows, but regardless what I don't like about them, I almost immediately went and downloaded the IT version of SP2 when Torpedo009 posted it on his site. Seriously, I upgraded my windows AND I'm usually in Linux. I like to keep up to date with my security. I can understand what Mushindo was saying about the programs dying in SP2, but everyone else is just bashing on mainly heresay. Don't forget, no matter how hard you try to get out of it, you are either reliant on Windows, Linux, Unix, or a Mac. Who has the best hardware detection? Who has the largest program library? Yeah. I want to see someone running Doom3 in Linux. Exactly.

Thanks

They don't make money off releasing SPs...lol.

However they shouldn't put out a product with so many bugs. All of these features should come with XP to start with, not to have to be later fixed.

Who has the best hardware detection? Who has the largest program library?
    That's because companies make stuff specifically for Windows because it is the largest. Actually the drivers linux does have are amazing given that most often people have to write them themselves...

Thanks

Most of the programs that got broken relied on Windows's insecure features.

SP2 tried to fix this, and in the process, a few programs get ruined.

Take one for the team.

Thanks
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Gospel
    Why not?

This is actually a good attempt by Microsoft to patch the holes they've found.

And DN, you try releasing a bug free OS composed of thousands, maybe millions of lines of code. It can't be done.
    Agreed.

People seem to bash Windows whilst seemingly forgetting that Linux itself is far from flawless, and receives regular updates to fix security issues. The biggest difference (other than Linux being inherently more secure) is that *most* Linux users are knowledgable about computers.

I'd be interested to know the stats on this:

If someone ran a firewall, antivirus, didn't download stupid spyware infected files, used a proper internet browser, not used a stupid guessable password, and downloaded security updates as and when they appeared - just how many problems that user would have?

My guess - not many... course the anti-Microsoft Zealot will try and ignore those facts

Nowhere near what my IP says. Which is weird, yes?
    Thanks

If anyone should have a problem with anyone, it's the hackers not microsoft. Microsoft gives incredible support considering they don't charge too much for their OS' out of the box and they provide free updates that cost the company millions of dollars in man hours to develop and try to make it as secure as they can. If linux were to be hacked as often, you can bet it wouldn't be free and it probably wouldn't last very long.
    The leader is never the idiot, rather the people who follow....

Thanks

I haven't installed SP2 because I have no problems in my current state. Yes I have heard horror stories, and while I like to keep things up to date, I will, but only if I ever think there is a problem. As for people who bash MS, well, yea they sort of suck, but WinXPpro is easily the best operating system they have released, I've had very few (if any) problems with it, and am quite pleased. If anyone (myself included) ever gets really irritated with it, go Linux then. And especially don't complain if you haven't paid for it (windows), which most people haven't.
    All I can say is that my life is pretty plain
    I like watchin the puddles gather rain
    And all I can do is just pour some tea for two
    and speak my point of view
    But its not sane..
    I just want some one to say to me
    Ill always be there when you wake
    Ya know Id like to keep my cheeks dry today
    So stay with me and Ill have it made
    And I dont understand why I sleep all day
    And I start to complain that theres no rain
    And all I can do is read a book to stay awake
    And it rips my life away but its a great escape..
    All I can say is that my life is pretty plain...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mushindo
    Microsoft gives incredible support considering they don't charge too much for their OS' out of the box and they provide free updates that cost the company millions of dollars in man hours to develop and try to make it as secure as they can. If linux were to be hacked as often, you can bet it wouldn't be free and it probably wouldn't last very long.
    I fail to see how windows is cheap for what you actually get. An operating system and some bundled software that is useless. The ONLY reason I use windows is for third party software, but I'm working on switching over to linux.

I fail to see how linux being hacked would suddenly make it cost money or die out...

Thanks

Just get the damn update, Smith.

Nowhere near what my IP says. Which is weird, yes?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xaenn
    I fail to see how windows is cheap for what you actually get. An operating system and some bundled software that is useless. The ONLY reason I use windows is for third party software, but I'm working on switching over to linux.

I fail to see how linux being hacked would suddenly make it cost money or die out...
    That's right, you do fail to see. Someone else can fix you straight for me
    The leader is never the idiot, rather the people who follow....

Thanks

Grr,

As far as I see it, if you're a business and you use linux, you would get one of the enterprise editions, which does cost money, and you do get support.

Otherwise you're just a home user who is willing to take whatever risks using linux entails, so it really doesn't matter. Who better to fix problems than the users themselves?