Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Science News Thread

Nowhere near what my IP says. Which is weird, yes?
    Thanks

Default Science News Thread

No fancy intro this time. Just post some interesting science news, or old news. I consider "Science" to be of broad spectrum. So, as long as it is interesting, most things will probably do fine as almost anything can be considered a "science"
    You will have to provide a link with the original story and provide a brief description/explanation of said link. The description/explanation doesn't need to be elaborate, just enough to let everyone know what it is about. Feel free to point out anything you found interesting and everyone is more than welcome to discuss a link/subject to their heart's content. Though, keep all thread discussions related to the science. Not something that is arbitrary to it. I.E religion, politics, ethics, etc. You can create a new thread for such discussions

Out from the Shadows: Two New Saturnian Moons
    With eyes sharper than any that have peered at Saturn before, the Cassini spacecraft has uncovered two moons, which may be the smallest bodies so far seen around the ringed planet.

Israel Cave Linked to John the Baptist
    Archaeologists think they've found a cave where John the Baptist baptized many of his followers � basing their theory on thousands of shards from ritual jugs, a stone used for foot cleansing and wall carvings telling the story of the biblical preacher.

Interior Will Delay Some Energy Projects
    The Interior Department said Monday it will begin delaying some new oil and gas drilling projects until the effects on wildlife are studied more thoroughly.

Bacteria Give Coral Its Orange Glow, Study Finds
    The soft orange glow of a common Caribbean coral comes not from the coral itself but from bacteria that live inside it, U.S. scientists said on Thursday. Whoa....big news there..... :eyeball:
    Well, that's enough to hopefully get the ball rolling.
    Last edited by mushindo; 17th-August-2004 at 06:32.
    The leader is never the idiot, rather the people who follow....

Thanks

More moons around Saturn huh? Hmm...doesn't strike me as strange. I didn't think it would take much longer before the rings began to fome planets. Only thing we have to worry about it Saturn getting bigger by drawing the new "moons" into it when the velocity of the new moons aren't enough to keep them in orbit...

Thanks

There was "news" about how the lightning in Saturn's rings has changed from its past behavior, becomming more erratic and everything. Though, I can't seem to find a link to the story. So unless anyone else is interested, I won't bother looking for it

Thanks
    EP Points

Does it mean it will blow up?

Thanks

Here's a link to the news
    Lightning on Saturn

Thanks
    EP Points

Okay i read that now does that mean that they dont think it would be able to hold life (titian was the one much like earth wasnt it) cos "radiation belt" domnt sound good

oh and that swas the first time i sat down and read something that wasnt about rap or junk i feel special

Thanks

Here's some more news for a surprisingly dead thread
    Benefits Seen in Earth Observation Data
    Scientists are planning to take the pulse of the planet � and more � in an effort to improve weather forecasts, predict energy needs months in advance, anticipate disease outbreaks and even tell fishermen where the catch will be abundant.

Thanks
    EP Points

But wouldnt the green house effect make it harder for them to forecast the weather?
    i still dont understand how they will be able to anticipate disease thou wouldnt that be more of a germ type of thing?
    do you think it would give us information on how the univease was born?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher
    But wouldnt the green house effect make it harder for them to forecast the weather?
    i still dont understand how they will be able to anticipate disease thou wouldnt that be more of a germ type of thing?
    do you think it would give us information on how the univease was born?
    The greenhouse effect would affect the overlying patterns that determine Earth's weather (I don't subscribe to the Chaos theory, note), but these changes themselves, and the new patterns, could be predicted, given time and study. Some of the changes have already been theorized (Such as the collapse of the Gulf Stream that brings warm water from the Caribbean along the American Eastern Seaboard to the British Isles, or a collapse of one or more sections of the Antarctic ice sheets, with dangerous results for coastal regions and oceanic shipping).

Disease could be tracked because certain conditions tend to be required for diseases to take root and become pandemic, such as those conditions leading to poor local health (Air pollution among those examples they listed). That and streamflow levels (Stagnant water is a prime breeding ground for mosquitos, a well-known disease vector) in particular would assist scientists in determining malarial and West-Nile outbreaks.

It's unlikely it will help too much with the birth of the universe itself, but a true knowledge of Earth's conditions would help scientists determine the details of the creation of the planet and, by extension, the major celestial bodies of the solar system.

Thanks
    EP Points

Ah okay i understand it now
    but i dont fully understand the whole chaos theory thou and ive only ever seen it explained on the Butterfly effect and thats hiw i understand it to be but if you have a link or something for me i would read it
    Oh and mush keep on wit the updates when you find them i like to have a poke through them

Thanks

Click here for all your science news needs. The weekly magazine "New Scientist" is something you should also check out.

Thanks

European Winters Could Disappear by 2080 - Report
    Title says it all. Interesting stuff.

Thanks

^No more winters!? That's not good, no more snow for me

Thanks

im not too sure whether that is a good thing or a bad thing, i mean i hate snow and cold, but what will happen to europe? Sea levels will surely rise, what would that mean for us?

EDIT: But then again, i will be dead when that happens so, meh..

Thanks

It means less food, more death. Possible wars for land that is fertile and not barren. It can bring about quite a lot of shit, if we don't do something to slow it or reverse it or somehow compensate for the changes..