Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Torrent friendly firewall

Thanks

Default Torrent friendly firewall

Well guys I read in other places that zonealarm was not torrent friendly, what I mean is that it gives you slow download speeds. Do you guys know a firewall that allows a decent speed, by that I mean at least around 15 to 20 kb. Alrighty thx for the help in advance.

Sig above thanks to crusher

Thanks

Have you tried WinXP's default firewall?

Thanks

Originally posted by [ForeverZero]
    Have you tried WinXP's default firewall?
    That's not very friendly either
    If your willing to spend a little cash, I'd say your best bet is a router. They come with a built in firewall and they don't cause software problems.

Thanks

Hmmm is there another good one around there? That isn't hardware I mean.

Thanks

Originally posted by TechKnow
    That's not very friendly either
    If your willing to spend a little cash, I'd say your best bet is a router. They come with a built in firewall and they don't cause software problems.
    Au contraire, man. Router's with hardware firewalls give more problems than you can shake a stick at with BT. They're also a pain in the ass to configure since you have to hook em up to your serial port and run Telnet to change settings and other shite(unless it has an LCD screen and a set of buttons, but those are much more expensive). Your best bet is to try to open all the ports on your router/modem(if it has an integrated firewall, be sure to check this) and get yourself Norton Personal Firewall 2003.
    It has never given me problems, if you ever get a warning from it just select "allow connections on all ports" and click "don't ask again". Same with any other internet enabled app. If you set it to high security settings, it will be a slight pain in the ass to have to manually allow every app that tries to connect to the www when you run them for the first time(even after you scan for internet apps, since it makes sure you want to allow internet access to the app), but it's well worth it. Best of all, the firewall is easy on the resources and doesn't take forever to load. Get yourself a copy of NPF2003, the newer "Internet Security 2004" is a major resource hog. I download torrents at 6kb/s on a 56k modem fo' shizzle with my firewall on.

Thanks

I've never had a single problem with my router, and configuring it was a snap. And it hasnt caused any conflicts that the software firewalls I've tried have caused. Just make sure you get a good brand like linksys.

Thanks

Routers are easy to configure. And you can just open up the proper ports for BT and be getting normal speeds.

Thanks

Btw, make sure you leave ports 6881 through 6999 open, both in your BT client and firewall/router.

Thanks

Originally posted by Soeru
    Btw, make sure you leave ports 6881 through 6999 open, both in your BT client and firewall/router.
    Yup, it increases the speed for pretty much every p2p application.

Thanks
    EP Points

Default Re: Torrent friendly firewall

Originally posted by Foxhound
    Well guys I read in other places that zonealarm was not torrent friendly, what I mean is that it gives you slow download speeds. Do you guys know a firewall that allows a decent speed, by that I mean at least around 15 to 20 kb. Alrighty thx for the help in advance.
    ZoneAlarm can be "Torrent friendly" if you set it up fine. I got a router and ZoneAlarm and I get speeds around 300kb/s on popular torrents. There is a good antivirus/firewall combined in Panda Antivirus Platinum 7.0. I use it on another computer and it takes less ressources than Norton Antivirus and Zone Alarm combined. Interesting piece of software.

http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/platinum7/

Thanks

Should I disable my xp firewall if I got a different one running?

Thanks

Yeah. It's a pretty basic firewall and can slow down your speeds when connected to p2p networks.

Thanks
    EP Points

I agree with TechKnow.

Thanks

Default Re: Re: Torrent friendly firewall

Originally posted by polobunny
    ZoneAlarm can be "Torrent friendly" if you set it up fine. I got a router and ZoneAlarm and I get speeds around 300kb/s on popular torrents. There is a good antivirus/firewall combined in Panda Antivirus Platinum 7.0. I use it on another computer and it takes less ressources than Norton Antivirus and Zone Alarm combined. Interesting piece of software.

http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/platinum7/
    Has it left virus free so far and with no probs?

Edit: I ask this because my friend got it's antivirus once and it didn't find some viruses that the zone alarm antivirus found.
    Last edited by Foxhound; 13th-August-2004 at 07:55.

Thanks
    EP Points

Damn, this antivirus has faster detection than Norton Antivirus and same update rate for virus protection scheme. It takes less ressources than only Norton and has a good built-in firewall. What do you want more?
    I never really had virus yet (a couple of little wich got deleted right away) so I cannot say if it's really good on the long run. It's on my sister computer so I dunno if she had virus (I doubt she had any because i'm in charge of her pc maintenance ) but i'll ask her tomorrow.