Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Writings...

Thanks

Default Writings...

The wind howls around the crumbled remains of the city in an aggravated way. It’s warm, almost too hot to stand but it doesn’t seem to bother me too much. I try to stand, but my legs refuse to answer the ancient call.

My mind falls back into the darkness and I feel my blood tingle.

Time seems to not exist here, face down in the dirt. It’s pleasant and seems to shield me from the heat.

My legs twitch, painfully, but those sensations too seemed dulled by the hot wind. Finally I’m able to bring myself to a sitting position.

I look around at my surroundings, but the edges of reality itself seemed blurred and distorted. Unsteadily I stand, supporting myself on something sharp and uneven. My body’s agonic protests seem muted and step after step they melt away.

The world somewhat returns to focus and a ruined, sand tinged landscape stretches out. This was once a city I say to myself, but the words don’t come. Not even the mouth moves. I walk on.

Walking down a street I come to what appeared to be the scene of a battle. An old one as the ever present sand and grit had clung to the blood, hiding its red viscous nature. These…soldiers some the remains of humans, others machines and others, unrecognisable fusions between the two.
    Even in death they seem conflicted, these corpses of men.

Even further beyond that, lies an Avenida, an impressive 4 lanner that would put most Freeways to shame. It too is littered with man’s homage to death.
    I imagine looking at myself, walking up this avenida, a slow, zombie like gait, but it is all I am capable of, the protests still painful, still ignored take their toll.

I reach a building, short, squat, functional, just like everything else here. The façade of the building is nonexistent, burnt, destroyed and twisted, the urge to cry, mourn over this building takes me. But that feeling too is ignored.

More corpses, more burnt out shells. Why do they fight?

This soldier, a human, atleast he would be if he had a head, his body seems to be in good condition, and then I see it, rations, blood stained, but still sealed.
    I take them, I chew on the small oblong shaped and bluish item. The taste is…awful but that too is ignored. I don’t feel any different, but the urge to eat will always be there.

Stairs.

On the second level another horrid sight greets my now deflowered eyes. Childeren, mothers and corpses, all dead, all locked in the sweet embrace that is death. I choose to ignore them, but the decaying eyes still stare accusingly. I move on, up 3 more flights of stairs to the roof and I look up, the sand stings my eyes, my body. I return down the stairs from whence I came and to the headless soldier.

We’re of comparable size, but his body is cold and rigid with rigor mortis. But my needs are greater than his now. Things are broken, things that should not be are, and finally the strange suit is mine, it covers my own simple and apparently degraded garments.

Ironically the goggles come from a machine…perhaps the headless one’s murderer?

They say there is no murder in war. Only casualties and kills.

I wonder have they ever asked a casualty or a killed one’s opinion?
    But I continue upstairs…sarcasm does not suit me.

The chest plate, a battle scarred and pitted item…I trace the letters stencilled in the front…N…K…V…D.

Familiar but not.

Back, up, returned to the rooftop. Now standing on the roof I feel invincible, protected and safe. None can see my eyes or my body, or my expressions...but the reality stares back blatantly at me. They perhaps felt that way too…now they feel nothing.

Looking up I see…it…

A huge dark and menacing structure, towering over my ruined city, it Is black and it is supported above perhaps half the city, for now, it is broken, nothing more than twisted metal that no longer shields this city…nor standing over this city.

It is in this comfortable moment of nothingness, I ponder on questions that are quite important to the average person. What is this place? Where am I? And perhaps at the highest part of that…Who am I?

I sigh and look at a shard of something that resembles glass.

My ‘deathmask’ stares back at me.

And in my weakness I do not take off my face guard.

A violent and powerful wind rushes past me and I fall. Hard.

I do not feel the impact, I feel only the fall, its so calming I wish I could stay like this forever.

But I don’t.

The darkness engulfs me.

When consciousness returns to me, it is night; I know this because of the absence of light. But perhaps it is also meaningful this absence of light.

As I bring myself to a sitting position once again, my apparently lack of injuries come to light and I notices the reason for my soft landing.

There is another me below me. To put it correctly I landed on someone else, another NKVD soldier…there aren’t many of them, in fact I can’t see another except from him and…myself.

I guess being dead has its uses huh?

I wander onwards, away from the twisted over city. I call it that, because that is what it seems, a city over another one.

Both seem to be in equal levels of disrepair.

As I wander onwards, I begin to notice the cold, and am thankful for the ‘other’ one’s armour.

I feel like I have been walking for hours, the same old questions rolling over in my head…

Who am I?

Where am I?

Where is this?

I continue without any answers. Who made that saying? “Do not ask thy god, for thy god doth not respondeth?” If I met him, I think I would…what would I do? That too I ignore.

The cold continues biting, but there is nothing I do about. I stop walking and look back, the cities seem to far away now, I look up again, this time the view is unobstructed. I do not know what I see.
    The beloved stars are not there, instead a rust coloured stormy cloud obscures everything in all directions.

Yet I see, and there is no light.

Does that mean I myself lack light? That too is ignored and eventually fades from my mind.

I look back again, there is no city, but it is too dark to really tell anything, but I notice as far as I can see that my tracks continue in a uniform direction.

Anywhere is somewhere right?

I keep walking, eventually I see it.
    It’s far off but I see it, a light.

A light shines brightest in the dark…

It seems closer now.

I’ve been looking at the light so long now if feel it has burned a hole in the back of my eyes. Ironic?

I can make it out now.

It’s unimpressive to say the least, a semi rounded rocky projection from the gravely sand that seems to dominate this place. But still I headed towards it. Would it be too cliché to say I felt drawn to it?

Again the inner sarcasm, like bubbling acid returns and again I ignore it into nothingness.

Should I continute , shouldnt I, flame opiions?

Saril

Thanks
    EP Points

i started to read it but yeah i just quit after a couple of lines
    but i bet it was good

Thanks

Your acidic wit burns me to the core!

Thanks

I liked it, very interesting. It seems a tad over-written, but I'd like to see more.

Evil Ted Guest

Hey, it's very well done. I agree that it's a bit verbose, but it suits the piece well. Keep it up man.

Thanks

Originally posted by The Watcher
    i started to read it but yeah i just quit after a couple of lines
    but i bet it was good
    Yeah, same.

Thanks
    EP Points

It was ok, you should keep writing, however i do have to say that your main character is Ignoring an aful lot...

Thanks
    EP Points

Ummm, ill read it later, or ill just print it out and have my G/F read it, only cause she reads about x10 faster than me. There will be an ed...new post on my decision.

Thanks
    EP Points

Wow, that's awesome.......

Thanks

Reminds me of 'As I Lay Dying'.

Way too overwritten.

Also, grammatical errors.

Thanks

I thought it was pretty good, but I agree with the same criticisms as others.

I say continue.

Thanks

Hmm yep gramar well blame that to a pirate version of Word and the fact that my gramar really IS horrendous, but I try.

Got the feeling of overwritten too, I'll try to tone it done in the next lot.

Thnx for the comments!

Thanks

Yes... too many metaphors crammed into so little space. I don't think anyone has read the whole thing yet. You're quite talented, but cut down on the metaphors and get to the point. That is, unless you're doing poetry, but that just looks like a William Golding novel.

Thanks

I read through the whole thing...

Thanks

I only breezed over it, but it was awesome, keep up the good work. It was a touch over written, and my grammer isn't very good either, so don't worry about it. I might actually post something I've been working on for a while up for the world to see....if the world doesn't object to much...