Thread: Do you need a...

Thanks

Default Do you need a...

Do you need a graphic card or video card(I don't know what the name is,you know,the card that let you play 3d game or game with good graphic)to play N64 games or playstation games on your PC,and what is the emulator that doesn't require a card.

Thanks

A gfx card makes all output to the monitor. So no gfx card means no picture. Period.

If you're talking about a plugin, then yes you do.

Thanks
    EP Points

Originally posted by W2.0
    A gfx card makes all output to the monitor. So no gfx card means no picture. Period.

If you're talking about a plugin, then yes you do.
    Some people dont have a Card like me... i just have a chip on my Mother Board..

Thanks

Well, he clearly already has one. But I think he means "Do I need a video card with hardware acceleration?" Which is no. But you really want it. If you don't have one, it's likely your machine can't handle the emulation anyway. If you don't have one, PSX didn't have hardware 3d anyways, so there are what's called "software plugins" you will need to use. But you get better performance as well as better graphics when using the hardware accelerations, so if you have it, use it. If you don't know, try it. I believe the N64 has software plugins, though I wouldn't swear to it. If it does, they probably suck. The N64 did have hardware acceleration, so you will want it too.

Edit: If it's builtin... yes you don't have a "card" per se, but the card just holds the chip and memory and whatnot, integrated it onto the mainboard is just like putting it on one huge card with other stuff on it.

Edit2: Post your system specs. That would make this a lot easier. Start->run->dxdiag Then give us the info on the first page and the display tab.
    Last edited by Paul Miller; 4th-August-2004 at 03:42.
    All I can say is that my life is pretty plain
    I like watchin the puddles gather rain
    And all I can do is just pour some tea for two
    and speak my point of view
    But its not sane..
    I just want some one to say to me
    Ill always be there when you wake
    Ya know Id like to keep my cheeks dry today
    So stay with me and Ill have it made
    And I dont understand why I sleep all day
    And I start to complain that theres no rain
    And all I can do is read a book to stay awake
    And it rips my life away but its a great escape..
    All I can say is that my life is pretty plain...

Thanks

O yeah. You need a gfx card if you dont have onboard. I was just assuming he meant nothing.

Thanks

I used to have integrated graphics, and I could run most games, PSX games run perfectly with software plugins on my 1.6ghz processor + 256mb ram, and N64 games ran, just exceptionally slow. Playable, but slow.