Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does anyone know about wireless internet?? i need help

Thanks

Default does anyone know about wireless internet?? i need help

ok, my dad has a buisness laptop, and well hes not using it right now so i am .. hey its got a nice ati radon card in it anyway to the point, i have a regular pc with a cable modem, and today i just noticed that the laptop has wireless internet...it has no disks or anything just a wireless internet built in, so i clicked on it, and it has the speed of a cable modem..... now here is the question, where am i getting the wireless intenet from....i dont think i can have wireless cable in the laptop can i?? and it shows no sighn of being connected to my comp, cause i shut the cable router off and it still worked at a fast speed, so my question is where is this internet coming from?? is it any extra charge, or is it really connected to my comp and i just dont know it, or is it connecting to my neighbors comps in my development lol its anoying me trying to figure out how this thing is wireless and has a cbale modem or whatever

Thanks
    EP Points

Where do you live... The person who lives next to you might have a Wireless Router in there house that is broadcasting in to your house as well.

Thanks

Maybe you live near a place with a WiFi connection?

Thanks

I dunno but all i can say is FREE INTERNET!

Thanks

Originally posted by GundamGuy
    Where do you live... The person who lives next to you might have a Wireless Router in there house that is broadcasting in to your house as well.

hmm in a basic house deveolpement length i guess, im pretty sure that there are at least 5 people within the block or on my street that i know that have internet, and everyoen where i live has cable so they all im pretty sure have cable. that could be, cause i even connected to thier printer lol good thing i didnt print anything thinking it was my printer lol, caus ei checked to see if ti was and it said the printer that i connected to earlier was offline, so that could be it. its just hard to comprehend a laptop 3 floors form my comp has the speed of cable lol so maby your right. anyway could i get charged for that?? or if it is connected to someone elses router will coudl they find out wiht just an average knowledge or little knowledge of comps?? and if not then its what winged2.0 said free internet lol.

whats a wifi connection??

Thanks
    EP Points

Originally posted by bolton02
    hmm in a basic house deveolpement length i guess, im pretty sure that there are at least 5 people within the block or on my street that i know that have internet, and everyoen where i live has cable so they all im pretty sure have cable. that could be, cause i even connected to thier printer lol good thing i didnt print anything thinking it was my printer lol, caus ei checked to see if ti was and it said the printer that i connected to earlier was offline, so that could be it. its just hard to comprehend a laptop 3 floors form my comp has the speed of cable lol so maby your right. anyway could i get charged for that?? or if it is connected to someone elses router will coudl they find out wiht just an average knowledge or little knowledge of comps?? and if not then its what winged2.0 said free internet lol.

whats a wifi connection??
    Wi-Fi (A.K.A. Wireless Fidelity) is the wireless networking standard for PC's... and no you should not get charged. And it looks like it is comming form on of those five... because it sounds like you dont have a Wi-Fi router in you house, anyway they could find out and block your PC.. but till that happens Free Internet... and you might be able to View any Shared folders on there PC...

I took very good care to make sure that my Wi-Fi network was secure.. Mac Address filtering and all.
    Last edited by GundamGuy; 25th-July-2004 at 04:27.

Thanks

Wi-Fi (A.K.A. Wireless Fidelity) is the wireless networking standard for PC's... and no you should not get charged. And it looks like it is comming form on of those five... because it sounds like you dont have a Wi-Fi router in you house, anyway they could find out and block your PC.. but till that happens Free Internet... and you might be able to View any Shared folders on there PC...

I took very good care to make sure that my Wi-Fi network was secure.. Mac Address filtering and all.

lol my home pc is old lol i rent a router form comcast lol, but thats cool, i get free wirless internet at hghspeed for free, wow lol. na im not one to look at shared folders or anyhting lol, but the free internet thing rocks lol, thanks lol i was getting all paniced thinking id get charged cause it didnt seem like it was our home internet lol, wow this laptop is just getting better and better lol its official its my new gameboy lol thanks for the help

Thanks

If I were you, I'd buy wireless cards for everything.

Thanks

Originally posted by Winged 2.0
    If I were you, I'd buy wireless cards for everything.

lol not a bad idea, j/k lol i wouldnt even know how to install one yet know what looks like, but i must say free wireless highspeed internet rocks lol, whover in my area has a wirless wifi or whatever lol well they rock lol i wonder if it will work if i take this on vacation lol maby somone will hava wifi there lol

anyway thanks for all the help guys, yuo all get 5 votes

Thanks
    EP Points

I wonder if it will work if i take this on vacation lol maby somone will hava wifi there lol

Ok here to goes this site gives you the location of lots of Wireless hot spots pay, or public... just fill out the forum and see... you never know.. you might get Wireless high speed internet while your on vacation..

http://www.wifimaps.com/

I have no idea how to use there maps, though... (glad my Hotspot is not on there)...

Thanks

However, don't be surprised if you get what they're looking at if it's not a secured (or was it IF it's a secured) connection. My PDA has the same ability too, 802.1 WiFi.

Thanks

Originally posted by EGGO
    However, don't be surprised if you get what they're looking at if it's not a secured (or was it IF it's a secured) connection. My PDA has the same ability too, 802.1 WiFi.

its nor a secure connection i dont think, or at least it never mentioned anything about it beign secure lol. thats sweet a pda can do that too lol play your emus online lol with a portable pc lol.

thanks gundam guy ill check that place out.....you mean there are wireless connections you have to pay for???? if so would they tell you??

Thanks

)(

Thanks
    EP Points

its nor a secure connection i dont think, or at least it never mentioned anything about it beign secure lol. thats sweet a pda can do that too lol play your emus online lol with a portable pc lol.

thanks gundam guy ill check that place out.....you mean there are wireless connections you have to pay for???? if so would they tell you??
    Yes, youll know if you have to pay, because you have to pay before you can connect..

and WTH does )( mean..

Thanks

Yes, youll know if you have to pay, because you have to pay before you can connect..

and WTH does )( mean..

oh lol whew, sorry im an emulation person and a empire earth expert lol this stuff is foreighn to me lol. thanks

and the dude has 77 bad votes, so im guessing he was spamming lol