Thread: play backups on a psone without chip or boot cd

Thanks
    EP Points

Default play backups on a psone without chip or boot cd

Hi. I wanted to buy a psone but as the boot cd is expensive and I don't want to install a modchip I'd like to know if it's possible to boot backups without any of those accessories.

I used to play backups on my old playstation using the following method.
    First, I turn on the console with the disc cover opened without any cd inserted. Then, on the main menu where you can go to the memory card manager and the cd player, I choose the cd player. Then I put an original cd but I don't close the disc cover, instead of that, I put a spring on the button that is pressed when you close the cover. That way I can play with the disc cover opened. After putting the spring, the disc spins for a few seconds and then it stops. Once it's completely stopped I remove the original cd and put the backup I want to play. Finally, on the cd player menu, I choose "Exit", and after that, the backup cd-r will boot.

I've read that there is another method for loading backups replacing the disc while the license screen is being showed, but you have to do that while the cd is spinning. With the method I use you can safely replace the cds while they are completely stopped.

Mine is one of the first playstations released, so I just wanted to know if this trick still works on the psone model. If anybody has got a psone and can test the method I posted before, please tell me the results.

Thanks

Thanks
    EP Points

I was about to link to that. It is a little more complicated then then the trick on the old playstations but it gets the job done.

Thanks
    EP Points

So this method doesn't work anymore with the new psones. Then I'll stay with my old playstation until it doesn't work at all.

Thanks
    EP Points

The trick I wrote the guide for does work on the old and new playstations. The trick you described in teh first post only works on teh first batch of Playstations I think.

Thanks

Boot Discs do not cost that much, I got one called PS-X-Change, for 20 bucks, works great too.
    Band of the Century

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL 1966-2004