Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Linux Programs

Thanks

Originally posted by Ace
    A badly configured Linux is just as much of a security risk than a badly configured windows. Both are alright aslong as you configure them properly.
    I completely agree with your bad configuration comment. However isn't Linux less likely to be targeted by hackers?

Thanks
    EP Points

Originally posted by Isostealer
    I completely agree with your bad configuration comment. However isn't Linux less likely to be targeted by hackers?
    True, but you don't want to slack off on security just because as a propertion, less people try to harm linux box's.

Although I would disagree that it is JUST as insecure as windows, you would have to be a real fool to get it setup that bad

(\__/)_/)
    (O.o ).^)
    (> < ) <)

Now we know how viral bunny signatures really spread.

Thanks

Originally posted by Norgus
    True, but you don't want to slack off on security just because as a propertion, less people try to harm linux box's.

Although I would disagree that it is JUST as insecure as windows, you would have to be a real fool to get it setup that bad
    ACTUALLY, I just read an article in PC Magazine and it said that Linux(I forget which kernel they tested) had more security flaws in a matter of I forget how long than Both Windows XP and Mac OS X. And it took the Linux patches longer to be released. Now, don't get me wrong and don't start flaming me, but that's incredibly impressive for Microsoft. I love Linux just as much as the next computer geek, but you just have to take precautions like was mentioned earlier. No OS is perfect, and there will never be a perfect OS. Hackers will almost always be targeting whatever is the most popular system. As much as I hate to say it, Microsoft has come a long way, though they do still have a very long way to go.

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh and don't forget to get frozen-bubble, tux racer, supertux and tuxkart, can't live without 'em

Thanks

I don't know tech savvy you are, but since 9.1 personal doesn't ship with too many programs, you might wanna look around the net and find a gcc package you can install so you can compile your own packages. Once you get gcc installed, then you can really start having fun with the stuff you can install because you can download and install just about anything as long as you have it's dependencies already installed.

Thanks
    EP Points

Oh yeah, I forgot gcc wasnt in the default install.
    /me slaps forehead

I still personaly think its immoral to ship linux without a compiler by default.

(\__/)_/)
    (O.o ).^)
    (> < ) <)

Now we know how viral bunny signatures really spread.

Thanks

Yeah its retarded that gcc or for that matter any compiler dont ship with some distros

Thanks

Originally posted by Norgus
    Oh yeah, I forgot gcc wasnt in the default install.
    /me slaps forehead

I still personaly think its immoral to ship linux without a compiler by default.
    yeah it's definitely immoral to do that. on the upside of 9.1 personal(I run it on my laptop till get my 9.1Pro delivered), it has everything a basic user would need. Yast does a pretty good job of providing the basic apps one might want.

Ace Guest

Originally posted by StudlyDego73
    I don't know tech savvy you are, but since 9.1 personal doesn't ship with too many programs, you might wanna look around the net and find a gcc package you can install so you can compile your own packages. Once you get gcc installed, then you can really start having fun with the stuff you can install because you can download and install just about anything as long as you have it's dependencies already installed.
    GCC should be on the disc as a package, or atleast I think it is >.< Never tried the personal edition myself.

Originally posted by Fett aka hmm
    Yeah its retarded that gcc or for that matter any compiler dont ship with some distros
    It's on the CD, it's just not getting installed by default. Need to select it if you want it.

Thanks

Originally posted by Ace
    GCC should be on the disc as a package, or atleast I think it is >.< Never tried the personal edition myself.

It's on the CD, it's just not getting installed by default. Need to select it if you want it.
    I'm not POSITIVE, but I don't think gcc is an option to install on SuSe 9.1 Personal. I don recall seeing it anywhere on the disc when I installed. That's about my only gripe with 9.1 Personal. The rest of the OS is great and I love it. Suse is now my fav. flavor of Linux.

Thanks

Yeah, when I installed it, I don't remember any gcc option. What's the difference between the CD you can download from the site and if you get it shipped? They are both the same, right?

Thanks

Yeah, when I installed it, I don't remember any gcc option. What's the difference between the CD you can download from the site and if you get it shipped? They are both the same, right?
    Yeah, as far as I know they're both the same. I installed the downloaded iso. I got in on a deal from Novell(they bought SuSe) where they shipped a bunch of Linux utilities and stuff to test and also shipped a free copy of 9.1 Professional. Now I KNOW Pro and personal have a huge difference in available utilities on the CD/DVD.

Ace Guest

There is an option, but it's named differently I believe. Just run Yast, type in gcc as package name and install.

Thanks

should've gone with 9.1 pro

it includes all the apps u could ever want. for database i would suggest using rekall with a mysql backend. rekall is sort of like an access clone, but it can't make very sophistacted relational databases by default. add a mysql server to the mix and u have something better than access.