Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: origins of a genre.

Thanks

Default origins of a genre.

ok so it's wierd. i want to know the origins of your favorite genre. or at least what you think is the origins of the genre.
    i'll start it off with what i feel i know the most. rap.

the origins of rap
    in the beginning ther was poetry. people enjoyed this and it was good. then, poetry drifted to the streets. the streets enjoyed this and it was good. then some one began to put their poetry to music. the streets enjoyed this as well. then different people began to produce poetry that reflected their lives and everything that happens in the streets. it was all about having fun, and people saw that this was good.
    WHAT HAPPENED?

hey this is my new sig.

Thanks

They probably are just in it for the money now, well most of the rappers.
    "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." -Frank Sinatra

Thanks

Actually, all music was originally derived from poetry.

Thanks

Originally posted by leatherman
    They probably are just in it for the money now, well most of the rappers.
    pretty much. that's why i barely listen to it right now. kanye west is right now the most sincere rapper out. besides like, alib kweli, common, and mos def.

Thanks

Originally posted by Hip-Hop
    pretty much. that's why i barely listen to it right now. kanye west is right now the most sincere rapper out. besides like, alib kweli, common, and mos def.
    I know what you mean, I don't really listen to a lot of rap but I do like Kanye West. I can't stand Snoop Dogg or Eminem because they are obviouslt talentless who talk about killing people but if they got in a real fight they would get their ass kicked.
    "Alcohol may be man's worst enemy, but the bible says love your enemy." -Frank Sinatra

Thanks

They're are the people that sit on the top of buildings, sniping people.

Thanks

Originally posted by Winged 2.0
    They're are the people that sit on the top of buildings, sniping people.
    What does that have to do with anything?

Thanks

topic topic topic. post an origin!

and that had nothing to do with anything. people that sit on top of the buildings and snipe people have more balls than anyone, because they have to actually do the damn thing then get out ot the building without anyone noticing.

Thanks

I think that the origin of comedy has changed from what it used to be. I used to watch the 3 stooges all the time. But now with so many movies like American Pie and Dude, Where's My Car that are supposed to be funny, well they just aren't. I just now relized that this is in the music zone but I won't erase this because I like it.

Thanks
    EP Points

Im going with cavemen with drums.

(\__/)_/)
    (O.o ).^)
    (> < ) <)

Now we know how viral bunny signatures really spread.

Thanks

Okay, here's one:
    The origin of ska.

Back in the late 1950s, ska music was being developed in Jamaica. Taking inspiration from African American R&B, along with traditional music from the island, a bassist named Cluet Johnson came up with the name "Love Skavoovie" as a greeting for his friends. This progressed into the word "ska."
    It should be interesting to note that reggae is actually a derivative of ska, and not the other way around.

But then, what about those new ska bands? Well, ska music comes in waves, much like the waves of the Atlantic Ocean. First Wave is the original Jamaican (some purists say this is the only music that is truly ska), Second Wave comes from England, and the Jamaican migration in the 60s and 70s, and Third Wave is in the United States, and started in the 80s. Bands such as the Toasters were among the first true Third Wave bands.
    Where do bands such as the Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Less Than Jake and Five Iron Frenzy fit in? They take a lot of inspiration from Third Wave, but they are a style of music all their own (a good style, in my opinion).
    The psychotic dress, the senseless feature terrifies every living creature. Predictability is wearing thin; groundbreaking practice for the preacher.

Thanks

nice. see that's what i wanted in this thread. there we go, we're getting started.

Sanitarium Guest

Origins of "Heavy Metal"

The origin of the term heavy metal is uncertain. According to one version, it was coined by a critic for Rolling Stone Magazine, who in 1967 said that the music of Jimi Hendrix was "like heavy metal falling from the sky". Others references have been the words "heavy metal thunder" in the 1968 Steppenwolf song "Born to be Wild", or the William S. Burroughs story "The Heavy Metal Kid". The word "heavy" (meaning serious or profound) had entered beatnik/counterculture slang some time earlier, and references to "heavy music" -- typically slower, more amplified variations of standard pop fare -- were already common; indeed, Iron Butterfly's 1968 debut album was entitled Heavy. The fact that Led Zeppelin (whose moniker came partly in reference to Keith Moon's jest that they would "go over like a lead balloon) incorporated a heavy metal into its name may have sealed the usage of the term.

Regardless of its origin, heavy metal may have been used as a jibe initially but was quickly adopted by its adherents. Other, already-established bands, such as Deep Purple, who had origins in pop or progressive rock, immediately took on the heavy metal mantle, adding distortion and additional amplification in a more aggressive approach
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origins of "Death Metal"

Death metal is a form of heavy metal music which emerged in the US and Canada during the 1980s with bands like Death, Morbid Angel, Suffocation and Cannibal Corpse.

Going one step beyond other metal genres, death metal is identified by extreme brutality and speed. The vocals, or growls as they are usually referred to, are rough and/or incomprehensible and they usually communicate macabre subject matter. This style of music is known for very abrupt tempo and count changes, and extremely fast drumwork. Most bands of this sort consist purely of guitars and drums, often two rhythm guitars, a bass, a drum set, and a vocalist. Some bands add incidental synthesizers for discordant effect.

During the 1990s, death metal grew in many directions, spawning a rich variety of subgenres, including the following:

'Symphonic' or 'melodic' death metal, where harmonies and melodies are much more present in the guitarwork. This subgenre is mostly associated with Sweden, especially in Gothenburg, as well as Norway and Finland (see Scandinavian death metal).
    'Grind' metal (grindcore) is basically an even more extreme variant of death metal. Like death metal itself, this subgenre spawned in the US.
    'Technical' death metal is a narrow, but influential subgenre where musical complexity and skill is the main focus. It is represented by bands like Cynic, Atheist, Theory in Practice and eventually the originators of death metal themselves, Death.

There are also other metal subgenres that have come from fusions between death metal and other genres. Bands like My Dying Bride (doom/death hybrid) and Emperor (black/death hybrid) are two examples.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Origins of "Trash Metal"

Thrash metal or speed metal is widely viewed as the most riff-oriented of all the heavy metal music sub-genres. It is generally accepted that it came into existence in 1981, though some bands had thrash riffs and other thrash ideas earlier than that. The first riff of Black Sabbath's 'Symptom of the Universe' (1975) is possibly the first thrash riff, though their 'Into the Void' (1971) was influential as well. Speed metal pioneers Judas Priest had some thrash ideas on their Stained Class LP (1978), including the punkish counterpoint riff on 'Saints in Hell' or the general structure of 'White Heat, Red Hot'.

Two important early proto-thrashers were Motorhead and Venom, both playing a raw punk-influenced speed metal in the late 1970s. Motorhead's Overkill LP (1979) would give the name to a New York band that would officially write the first thrash song in 1981: 'Unleash the Beast Within'. Soon thereafter, San Francisco's Leather Charm would write 'Hit the Lights'. This band would break up, but the primary songwriter's next band, Metallica, would feature this song.

Kill 'Em AllMetallica were the first thrash band to put out a demo (the Power Metal demo, April 1982, and then No Life 'til Leather in July) and an LP (Kill 'Em All, July 1983). They influenced the sound of Slayer and Exodus, leading both of those bands in a heavier, thrashier direction. Meanwhile, in Europe, Artillery recorded a demo in November, 1982. We Are the Dead took a more Black Sabbath oriented direction, resulting in a thrash form that wasn't quite as fast as that of Metallica but had similar riff ideas.
    Thrash took off in 1984 or so, with Overkill releasing their second demo (Feel the Fire), and Slayer's seminal Haunting the Chapel EP, which featured the song 'Chemical Warfare'. This led to a darker and heavier sounding thrash, which was then reflected in Exodus's Bonded by Blood and Slayer's Hell Awaits in 1985. Also, Artillery debuted with We are the Dead in '85, as did Megadeth, formed by former Metallica axeman Dave Mustaine. Megadeth combined the riffs of thrash with the more fancy soloing of speed metal � la Judas Priest, and their sound would become best realised on 1990's Rust in Peace.

Reign in Blood1986 was a landmark year for thrash, with some of the greatest thrash LPs of all time being released in this year. Dark Angel put out the generally underrated Darkness Descends, which is one of the heaviest and fastest thrash albums ever. Slayer's Reign in Blood is universally acclaimed as a classic, and also the German band Kreator had Pleasure to Kill, which set new standards for brutality and would be a heavy influence on the death metal genre. Megadeth put out Peace Sells, Metallica had Master of Puppets, and Nuclear Assault debuted with the punkish Game Over�an album stripped to its bare riff essentials.
    Later, thrash would split into many subgenres and influence a lot of bands like Death and Possessed. Possessed were the first death-metal band, making a demo in mid-1984 of a more dark-sounding thrash metal. This sound would be called death metal, and the first example of it would be the death-thrash classic 'Seven Churches', from 1985. Some bands combined speed metal and thrash, like the aforementioned Megadeth, and also Helstar, Testament, and Heathen were known for their flashy lead guitar work. Watchtower's Energetic Disassembly (1985) set new standards in technical, jazzy songwriting, which would later be further developed by the thrash band Coroner and also the technical death metal bands Atheist and Cynic.

Beneath the RemainsBy 1988 or so the genre was quite saturated with new bands, but classic albums would continue to be put out. Sepultura's third album, Beneath the Remains (1989) earned them mainstream appeal as it appeared on Roadrunner records. Vio-lence, a relative latecomer to the Bay Area thrash scene put out an acclaimed debut in Eternal Nightmare (1988), combining relentless riffage with a hardcore-punk vocal delivery. However, the genre was also filled with many, many bands that did not really give much of a new sound. By 1990-91, this led to the inevitable demise of the genre.
    Soon, post-thrash bands with a newer sound would continue the more innovative direction, while those that played classic thrash were seen as retreads, though the '90s had some excellent thrash, for example Iced Earth's Night of the Stormrider (1992), which combined power-metal and thrash. Many bands, however, opted for a slower, more groove-oriented sound, including Machine Head and Pantera. This would give rise to many 90s-metal bands.

Thrash has seen a sort of a comeback in the late 1990s with European bands like Hypnosia (sounding much like Pleasure to Kill) or Carnal Forge, a fast death-thrash hybrid. Some bands also combine Swedish death-metal riffs and punk influence, like The Haunted, but these stray too far from the original ideals to be really called thrash bands. Meanwhile, other bands soldier on�including Overkill, who have recently put out a 13th studio album, Killbox 13, and Destruction, whose The Antichrist (2001) is a staple of modern thrash metal�updated production values, and a classic riff sound. The new Exodus album, scheduled for release in early 2004, promises to be another recent highlight of this genre.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Sanitarium; 2nd-June-2004 at 14:20.

Thanks

My favourite genres...Death and Black, comes from Venom and Slayer, I guess.

Venom named their second album "Black Metal", and there you go, Black. Death Metal will have to thank Slayer, especially for the Reign in Blood and Hell Awaits-album.

Damn, I'm tired. Please forgive me for this lame post
    Last edited by Howie; 3rd-June-2004 at 07:09.

Thanks

And whatever happened to the death metal pioneers of the 80s? Former Possessed guitarist Larry LaLonde later went on to find fame/success/whatever as the quirky guitar man for the bizarre San Francisco-based power trio Primus. Death singer Chuck Schuldiner disbanded the group in 1996, formed Control Denied, and kept with that project until he was diagnosed with brain cancer. Chemotherapy seemed to be working, but a bout with pneumonia ended the career of one of death metal's founding fathers.
    James Murphy, the lead guitarist on Death's Spiritual Healing (regarded by many to be their best work), also developed brain cancer. He is currently recovering in Florida, and slowly working on a Death tribute (authorized by Bethann Schuldiner, Chuck's sister) with Deron Miller, singer/guitarist/evil genius from the band Camp Kill Yourself (CKY).
    Last edited by andvari_7; 2nd-June-2004 at 23:51.
    The psychotic dress, the senseless feature terrifies every living creature. Predictability is wearing thin; groundbreaking practice for the preacher.