View Poll Results: How Excited Were You By The News Of This Game?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • A difinately can't wait game. I want it now!

19 35.19%
  • One of those games I must have.

10 18.52%
  • It's original. I feel the same for other games.

6 11.11%
  • Don't like it.

7 12.96%
  • What? Another GTA?

12 22.22%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by FoReVerZeRo
    Pretty much the same game we got three years ago except with more stuff. This game series is really overrated....
    In your opinion. I happen to think that GTA III and Vice City are deserving of the praise and attention they've recieved over the years, as they offered gamers an experience that no other game offered at the time, and that very few have succesfully been able to offer since.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

The game practically created a genre. GTA III is a legendary game, and probably only behind Goldeneye and Zelda OOT in my favourite games ever.
    As for San Andreas, I've pre-ordered it, can't fucking wait.

Thanks

cant wait for this game! looks to sicc

Thanks
    EP Points

It created no genre. Its brought it to peoples eyes, yes. Driver 1 and 2 had quite open ended gameplay, especially for PSone. And believe it or not, there is a GTA 1 and 2, along with London.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by Borman
    It created no genre. Its brought it to peoples eyes, yes. Driver 1 and 2 had quite open ended gameplay, especially for PSone. And believe it or not, there is a GTA 1 and 2, along with London.
    Nah, the Driver games were pretty linear. Sure, in Driver 2 you could get out of your car and shit, but it didn't offer anywhere near the level of freedom that GTA III did.

GTA III was really the first game that gave you this large 3-D world to play in, and let you go about doing whatever you wanted to in it. You weren't set on a path and forced to do things a certain way. And shit, if it didn't creat a genre, why is it that so many games have aped it's style since it hit? Hmnn....

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberxion
    Nah, the Driver games were pretty linear. Sure, in Driver 2 you could get out of your car and shit, but it didn't offer anywhere near the level of freedom that GTA III did.

GTA III was really the first game that gave you this large 3-D world to play in, and let you go about doing whatever you wanted to in it. You weren't set on a path and forced to do things a certain way. And shit, if it didn't creat a genre, why is it that so many games have aped it's style since it hit? Hmnn....

ARG, there is a game called Grand Theft Auto, and Grand Theft Auto 2. They Didn't just think of a number and say it is 3... And as for "And shit, if it didn't creat a genre, why is it that so many games have aped it's style since it hit?" Have you ever heard of the game Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic, it didn't create a genre, and many games have the good/evil thing now.
    Squiggly Line Squiggly Line Squiggly Line

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by falados
    ARG, there is a game called Grand Theft Auto, and Grand Theft Auto 2. They Didn't just think of a number and say it is 3... And as for "And shit, if it didn't creat a genre, why is it that so many games have aped it's style since it hit?" Have you ever heard of the game Star Wars Knights of The Old Republic, it didn't create a genre, and many games have the good/evil thing now.
    No fucking shit kid. Noone's suggesting the series didn't exist before the third and fourth games, but those are indeed the two that made them popular, and the ones that really brought open-ended gameplay into the limelight. Before GTA III and Vice City, action games were pretty much a "get from point A to point B" affair, and offered little in the way of freedom. The latest GTA games allow you to do pretty much whatever you want to do within the game world, and let you go about doing it in pretty much whatever way you want.

And WTF are you talking about with the KoTOR reference? Like...one damned game has the good/evil thing that I know of since that one, whereas many games have aped GTA's style since it hit. True Crime, The Getaway, Road Kill, Driv3r and Spiderman 2 are some games that have aped it's "go anywhere, do anything" gameplay style, and that's just off the top of my head. All you have to do is look at the industry post GTA III for proof of the game's influence.

And shit, it's not like we were discussing KoTOR anyway, so that's totally outta left-field....
    Last edited by Cyberxion; 3rd-October-2004 at 18:58.

Thanks
    EP Points

No fucking shit kid. Noone's suggesting the series didn't exist before the third and fourth games, but those are indeed the two that made them popular, and the ones that really brought open-ended gameplay into the limelight. Before GTA III and Vice City, action games were pretty much a "get from point A to point B" affair, and offered little in the way of freedom. The latest GTA games allow you to do pretty much whatever you want to do within the game world, and let you go about doing it in pretty much whatever way you want.

And WTF are you talking about with the KoTOR reference? Like...one damned game has the good/evil thing that I know of since that one, whereas many games have aped GTA's style since it hit. True Crime, The Getaway, Road Kill, Driv3r and Spiderman 2 are some games that have aped it's "go anywhere, do anything" gameplay style, and that's just off the top of my head. All you have to do is look at the industry post GTA III for proof of the game's influence.

And shit, it's not like we were discussing KoTOR anyway, so that's totally outta left-field....

Take a deep breath and count to ten. Now that that's over with...

Im sure GTA:SA will be fun, and im sure ill play it, but im not going to rush out and buy it the second it comes out. It's not my Must have game of the year.

Thanks

And WTF are you talking about with the KoTOR reference? Like...one damned game has the good/evil thing that I know of since that one.

how was GTA1 and 2 not open-ended, it was just as open-ended as 3 was.

heh, I always hear people yell about doing research, now I will repeat this to you.

Now that I think about it, Sonic Adventure 2 did kind of spark the good/evil thing.

Fable, LotR game coming out... I hate this, there are lots more, but when put on the spot I can never think of things like this.

And about it being out of left-field, I was talking about how someone said that GTA3 made a new genre.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by falados
    how was GTA1 and 2 not open-ended, it was just as open-ended as 3 was.

heh, I always hear people yell about doing research, now I will repeat this to you.

Now that I think about it, Sonic Adventure 2 did kind of spark the good/evil thing.

Fable, LotR game coming out... I hate this, there are lots more, but when put on the spot I can never think of things like this.

And about it being out of left-field, I was talking about how someone said that GTA3 made a new genre.
    Sure, GTA and GTA II might have laid the groundwork for GTA III and Vice City, but the latter two games really brought the concept of open-ended gameplay kicking and screaming into the forefront of gaming culture. Even though GTA and GTA II were a bit less linear then most games back then, they hardly offered the level of freedom that the last two games have afforded gamers.

Shit, many games have come down the pipeline since then that have tried to ape GTA III and Vice Cities formula of totally open gameplay, to varying results. The developers on many of these projects even go on record as citing the latter two GTA games as thier inspiration. So yeah, I think it's safe to say that if they didn't outright create a new genre, they certainly changed the industries perception that action games had to be linear.

I still don't see where the relevancy lies in your having brought up KoTOR. As this is a discussion of the GTA series, of course we're not going to spontaniously bust out into a conversation about how KoTOR was the first to let you choose to be good or evil. We're discussing the latter two GTA games, and the mark they've made on the industry. We're not claiming that they're the only games to have done so, so bringing up KoTOR is irrelevant...

Quote Originally Posted by GundamGuy
    Take a deep breath and count to ten. Now that that's over with...
    Yeah, sorry boot that. I don't appriciate condescending posts, especially when the person making it has totally missed the point before doing so.
    Last edited by Cyberxion; 3rd-October-2004 at 21:20.

Thanks

I am just going to drop the argument, since you are right that out argument was irrelevant.

Anyway, I thought 3 was better than Vice City, because of the weapon thing in vice city, you couldn't have all the weapons at once, I like to have all the weapons at my disposal for immediate destruction

Thanks
    EP Points

Yeah, sorry boot that. I don't appriciate condescending posts, especially when the person making it has totally missed the point before doing so.
    Yes i agree, just did not want you to have an blow an blood vessel over something as silly and crazy as this.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

GTA1, London and 2 were all 2D and all shit except the first. They have little resemblence to GTAIII, except the name, and the fact you could nick cars and kill people...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    EP Points

Quote Originally Posted by GundamGuy
    Yes i agree, just did not want you to have an blow an blood vessel over something as silly and crazy as this.
    Yeah, thanks. In looking back, it was totally silly to get bent out of shape over this. Something about the tone of his post rubbed me the wrong way. Anyway, thanks again for the intervention.

Thanks

Have you people noticed how DMA brought their GTA 1 & 2 design into 3D with "Body Harvest" for the N64...? I was suspicious of the similarity between these games (they even inlcuded Mr. Whoopee in BH! ), until I remembered it was DMA who worked on the GTA series all the way up to GTA III!

Now, see the difference between GTA III and BH... Not a whole lot, yet, at the same time, the game plays entirely different, thanks to all the details thrown into GTA III...

Makes me wonder exactly HOW different San Andreas will be to the previous games... Will the new details give way to a deeper, better style of gameplay, or will it be more of the same, just like VC was...?

That's why I'm not as excited about this game as so many people are...

Plus, I've never really liked Rockstar's games... It bothers me how nobody notices DMA's influence on the series (I mean, they pretty much created the whole thing)... Cripes... They deserve more recognition...
    Last edited by Roux!; 4th-October-2004 at 19:17.